Alliant Red Dot powder

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Alliant Red Dot powder

Post by Bugman » 10 Jul 2024, 1:42 pm

Saw that Horsley Park Gun Shop here in Sydney has 1lb containers of the above.
Could this be a sign of powder slowly, oh so slowly, returning?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: Alliant Red Dot powder

Post by deye243 » 10 Jul 2024, 2:41 pm

Don't bet on it as they released a statement that they are no longer selling bottles of powder and all production is going in to factory ammo for the foreseeable future.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 10 Jul 2024, 3:03 pm

How come it is listed as "in stock" on the Horsley Park current web site? Also Magnum Sports has some also. Don't know where you got your info from.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jul 2024, 3:05 pm

Bugman wrote:How come it is listed as "in stock" on the Horsley Park current web site? Also Magnum Sports has some also. Don't know where you got your info from.

Perhaps it's some of the last shipment that came in a little while back?
The "info" came from a press release from Alliant a month or so back.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 10 Jul 2024, 3:14 pm

Yes could be previous shipment held by Nioa as the 1lb containers have the Nioa sticker on them.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 11 Jul 2024, 11:41 am

The shipment was the first in many years after the previous 5 were cancelled.

I wouldn't count on another in the foreseeable future, grab what you can
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 11 Jul 2024, 5:57 pm

ADI are working on a new batch of APS950, it's slow for a pistol powder but will get the job done for most calibers.

They ran a small batch earlier this year which passed testing and the left overs form that are getting to a few selected dealers now.
Hopefully the new batch will be available by year end but I expect that prices will be high for another year after that.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jackaroo » 12 Jul 2024, 11:14 am

I was able to get 4 x 8lb jugs of Red Dot from a Syd gun store to spread around my family.
My stance on gun control depends on firearm, caliber, wind, and obstacles.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 12 Jul 2024, 4:19 pm

Jackaroo wrote:I was able to get 4 x 8lb jugs of Red Dot from a Syd gun store to spread around my family.

Bet that put a dent in the savings tin. ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 12 Jul 2024, 4:33 pm

Bugman wrote:
Jackaroo wrote:I was able to get 4 x 8lb jugs of Red Dot from a Syd gun store to spread around my family.

Bet that put a dent in the savings tin. ;)

Certainly did, but as a 'per shot' breakdown its not that bad......but yes upfront :shock:

Just stoked to have fast powder and a massive stack of Federal Primers.
My stance on gun control depends on firearm, caliber, wind, and obstacles.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ICIL36GM » 15 Jul 2024, 4:40 pm

NIOA spread about a ton of Red Dot around Qld and Sydney. Shipping was a killer added to the price. Bronzewing released Vectan, I purchased AO and A1. On spec I also purchased APS 950 but have not sighted any load data for shotgun. All I found was it replaced AS100? Any suggestions appreciated! In case anyone reads this, I have MEC parts and a number of loaders. Too many parts to list! But, no bottles!
ICIL36GM
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 16 Jul 2024, 2:39 am

ICIL36GM wrote:NIOA spread about a ton of Red Dot around Qld and Sydney. Shipping was a killer added to the price. Bronzewing released Vectan, I purchased AO and A1. On spec I also purchased APS 950 but have not sighted any load data for shotgun. All I found was it replaced AS100? Any suggestions appreciated! In case anyone reads this, I have MEC parts and a number of loaders. Too many parts to list! But, no bottles!

I will stand corrected but the slowest powder adi list for heavy loads is ap70 so I don't think aps100 is suitable.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jul 2024, 10:34 am

deye243 wrote:
ICIL36GM wrote:NIOA spread about a ton of Red Dot around Qld and Sydney. Shipping was a killer added to the price. Bronzewing released Vectan, I purchased AO and A1. On spec I also purchased APS 950 but have not sighted any load data for shotgun. All I found was it replaced AS100? Any suggestions appreciated! In case anyone reads this, I have MEC parts and a number of loaders. Too many parts to list! But, no bottles!

I will stand corrected but the slowest powder adi list for heavy loads is ap70 so I don't think aps100 is suitable.

Just because they don't list data for a powder doesn't mean it can't be used, just means it's probably less than optimal. When it's all we have to work with it's worth experimenting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ICIL36GM » 17 Jul 2024, 3:39 pm

Yes, thankyou. There is a bit creeping onto the internet sites. There is a gap between the shop price and the ones attempting to make a dollar!
ICIL36GM
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickb » 19 Jul 2024, 2:41 pm

What price was red dot going for? Harvesting powder from 12gaq field shells might work cheaper. Red dot is one of the fastest burners, very similar to WST and As-30N. You get about 6250 grains of powder, or 0.9 lbs from 250 pack case. So it works out WST can be split from Winchester 12ga WST field shotshells for about $160/lb.

You may even be able to sell the leftovers( shot, wad and primer) to a shotgunner and reduce the cost further. One bloke buys the left overs off me for $50 a case, so it ends up being I am paying about $120/lb for powder which is about twice the old price.

Other field shotshells will use similar speed powders, experiment at your own risk of course
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition