A Safety Reminder

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

A Safety Reminder

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2024, 5:37 pm

Always check that all your cases have powder prior to seating a bullet.

I use a torch.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/wisdom/d ... sy-lapses/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
A bit more bang is better.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: A Safety Reminder

Post by GQshayne » 26 Jul 2024, 7:23 pm

All the loads I make have powder clearly visible in them. But some other calibres/loads may not be so easy to spot.

Need to be paying attention.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 27 Jul 2024, 2:07 pm

Given I charge each case as I'm about to seat it, it would be a lot harder for me to miss one.
BUT; Never say never...
One simple safety check I do, is to weigh all my loaded cartridges after I'm finished.

It's saved me a world of grief on a few occasions.
Also, it's shown that I have the lowest weight variance, in the higher quality brass.
It's also picked up an instance where dear Hornady had mixed some different weight projectiles into the same box; all exactly 30grains heavier than average.

I follow a practice of redundant steps in my Quality Checks, as I'm loading for other users.
I also have a little checklist card that I fill out upon commencing, and as I finish each step, I tick off that section.
This helps if I have to leave the reloading mid-session, and know what step I was interrupted at.
Worst case, is if I'm remotely unsure, I repeat the first un-ticked step on the card, and move on from there.

I think I started doing the weighing, after loading a few Squib loads for my .45LC Anaconda; many years ago..
Thankfully, it was the sort of handgun, where you noticed the severe lack of 'BOOOM!', if you loaded Squibs..
We also had a little Colt Woodsman .22LR handgun do the same thing in the mid 1970's.
My Dad was giving all his kids a shot with the Woodsman, and no-one realized the previous round had fired, but that no-one saw the bullet hit.
[Not sure we'd have even understood the implications anyway..]
Gun had cycled, but bullet was still in the end of the barrel; best guess is a Squib load
Younger brother fired, and received a black eye for his troubles; lucky it wasnt far, far worse.
Kingston Brothers re-barrelled the Woodsman, but because genuine barrels werent available, they machined up one from a .22 rifle.
Anyway; worked just fine for the next 35-odd years..
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Jul 2024, 6:52 pm

Torch for me too. Takes no time and worth avoiding a disaster
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2024, 7:24 pm

Jorlcrin wrote:Given I charge each case as I'm about to seat it, it would be a lot harder for me to miss one.
BUT; Never say never...
One simple safety check I do, is to weigh all my loaded cartridges after I'm finished.

It's saved me a world of grief on a few occasions.
Also, it's shown that I have the lowest weight variance, in the higher quality brass.
It's also picked up an instance where dear Hornady had mixed some different weight projectiles into the same box; all exactly 30grains heavier than average.

I follow a practice of redundant steps in my Quality Checks, as I'm loading for other users.
I also have a little checklist card that I fill out upon commencing, and as I finish each step, I tick off that section.
This helps if I have to leave the reloading mid-session, and know what step I was interrupted at.

Worst case, is if I'm remotely unsure, I repeat the first un-ticked step on the card, and move on from there.

I think I started doing the weighing, after loading a few Squib loads for my .45LC Anaconda; many years ago..
Thankfully, it was the sort of handgun, where you noticed the severe lack of 'BOOOM!', if you loaded Squibs..
We also had a little Colt Woodsman .22LR handgun do the same thing in the mid 1970's.
My Dad was giving all his kids a shot with the Woodsman, and no-one realized the previous round had fired, but that no-one saw the bullet hit.
[Not sure we'd have even understood the implications anyway..]
Gun had cycled, but bullet was still in the end of the barrel; best guess is a Squib load
Younger brother fired, and received a black eye for his troubles; lucky it wasnt far, far worse.
Kingston Brothers re-barrelled the Woodsman, but because genuine barrels werent available, they machined up one from a .22 rifle.
Anyway; worked just fine for the next 35-odd years..

That's excellent. I have one for case prep.
I like it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jul 2024, 12:23 am

I load each round individually so I know exactly that I've just poured powder in seconds before I seat the projectile.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 Jul 2024, 7:39 am

i load in batches under a bright light and look down all the cases in the loading tray . and i NEVER stop halfway through a process . don't care if the phone rings , don't care if there's someone at the door . don't get distracted is my best advice :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jul 2024, 7:40 am

bigpete wrote:I load each round individually so I know exactly that I've just poured powder in seconds before I seat the projectile.

that's very sound practice pete :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2024, 7:44 am

Yep, I load in batches of 20 or 25. Then check each one with a torch. Then seat all the bullets.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jul 2024, 7:47 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:I load each round individually so I know exactly that I've just poured powder in seconds before I seat the projectile.

that's very sound practice pete :thumbsup:

Its how I was taught and no slower imo
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2024, 7:17 pm

I do not have a dedicated loading bench, so it has to serve other purposes as my main work bench. So I set up scales press etc on the one bench. This means that if I use the press the bench moves a bit, which can move the scale. So I do about 25 or so in batches to avoid that. But every case has visible powder in it when I pick it up, so no problem.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2024, 7:31 pm

GQshayne wrote:I do not have a dedicated loading bench, so it has to serve other purposes as my main work bench. So I set up scales press etc on the one bench. This means that if I use the press the bench moves a bit, which can move the scale. So I do about 25 or so in batches to avoid that. But every case has visible powder in it when I pick it up, so no problem.

Yes, it's mainly the squib loads where to case in only say 30% full.
Happened to me about 5 years ago.

Loaded a heap in a rush.
Had a dud a few days later.
But was alert enough to check, there was a bullet about 6-8 inches down the barrel.

Got lucky.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition