Uneven lands...a problem...?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Uneven lands...a problem...?

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2018, 3:29 pm

Thanks marksman...ive wondered that myself, & you're most likely right.

I have done some running in regime, in shoot a few clean etc.
As it stands now, i cant get it to foul at all-not carbon nor copper...last lot was 28 rounds without a patch & it only took 2 patches & it was cleaner than the water in Gwions favourite trout stream...!!

Anyway, ive shot 50 odd rounds without a jam...thinking about what you've said maybe ill do some forming with a jammed bullet for the rest of the cases, then move to load testing again.

Then ill have the stress of OCD not allowing me to mix the first 50 cases with the 2nd 50 properly formed cases. :roll:

Another point ive thought about since, is that the extractor is quite strong on this bolt, & it really puts pressure on the case (obviously pulling the front/bullet end upwards while sliding rearwards), so some exaggerated markings may be left from dragging the case out before i can get my fat finger in the ejection port to push down on the case. :problem:

Ah well...thanks all for the input...when/if i have any discoveries ill update.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 05 Jun 2018, 9:28 pm

If the cases are not fireformed there is a good chance of the tilt when the bolt slips over the case
and you may get the marks on the projectile from extracting the case as it is pushed against the side of the chamber
I had thought about this
its to much hassle to take the plunger out so it may be worth waiting for your drilled cases before you worry to much about trying to be close to the lands
from what you are saying it is well and truly ready to find a load for
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Bills Shed wrote:
Stix wrote:I hear ya Bill... :thumbsup:
Ive done that for a long time now, but OCD got the better of me...

That I understand, I think most reloaders carry the trait.
Have fun

Bill

+1 ocd :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition