Quality .22 cal varmint projectile(s)...Suggestions

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Quality .22 cal varmint projectile(s)...Suggestions

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2018, 4:02 pm

Me again...

I've only ever used the Zmax, Superroo cheaper type projectiles, (have done limited testing with Vmax/NosBT's, but have not noticed a real world difference for the extra $)... but i always hear some people rave about the better accuracy from higher quality projectiles.

Id like to push the ranges out quite a bit (for me anyway-400yds to maybe 500 yds if my abilities & rifles find it possible), but id imagine most stuff id be chasing is the headshot bunny to 300 odd yards.
The rifles are stock standard factory Tikka's & Sako's with the triggers wound as light as they can go, but no mods so nothing custom.

So, im interested to try some better quality bullets for varminting with a 22-250, and so would like to hear what people use, &/or suggestions, and how much better you find them.
Have you a favourite bullet or brand that you have found has a higher rate of success with working across many rifles...? etc.

Any & all suggestions appreciated.

Actually,while we are there,...what about primers also...
I use Federal Match as a general rule...Worth changing...?
Last edited by Stix on 05 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Quality .22 cal varmint projectile(s)...Suggestions

Post by JimTom » 05 Jun 2018, 4:11 pm

Mate like you I just use the cheaper projectiles. Currently using Speer 55gn Sp, purchased for circa $180/1000, in an out of the box Tikka T3Lite, and shooting half an inch at 100m.
That’s as good as I’ll ever be so doubt I’ll try anything else.
Be interested to hear the results mate if it makes a difference.
Keep us posted.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 05 Jun 2018, 4:23 pm

22-250, dunno. But in 223 I've been using 53gr Nosler Varmageddons at about $30/100. They have the best BC in class (.301) and have been as accurate as anything else I've tried, including 53gr V-Maxes, out to 200m. The extra BC would work well at extended ranges.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 4:30 pm

Stix, I've used Vmax and Varmint Grenades and Nosler Ballistic Tips but I just stick with the Zmax now. If you can load to a consistent <0.4moa, what more do you need for hunting/varminting? Even at 400m, we are talking sub 2" POI. I have previously weight sorted my Zmax to shave the groups down even further but misreading wind or range is going to have more impact on your shot than shaving another 0.2moa from your load. Even then, your field position will effect the precision. I know a lot of that is actually an argument for tighter loads but I've come to the conclusion that 0.5moa is well and truly tight enough for the field.

Guess I'll have to find a new go-to since they are discontinuing the Zmax... :thumbsdown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2018, 5:58 pm

Stix wrote:Me again...

I've only ever used the Zmax, Superroo cheaper type projectiles, (have done limited testing with Vmax/NosBT's, but have not noticed a real world difference for the extra $)... but i always hear some people rave about the better accuracy from higher quality projectiles.

Id like to push the ranges out quite a bit (for me anyway-400yds to maybe 500 yds if my abilities & rifles find it possible), but id imagine most stuff id be chasing is the headshot bunny to 300 odd yards.
The rifles are stock standard factory Tikka's & Sako's with the triggers wound as light as they can go, but no mods so nothing custom.

So, im interested to try some better quality bullets for varminting with a 22-250, and so would like to hear what people use, &/or suggestions, and how much better you find them.
Have you a favourite bullet or brand that you have found has a higher rate of success with working across many rifles...? etc.

Any & all suggestions appreciated.

I would think the bullets you've been using are more than capable of the required accuracy.
The .22-250 is restricted by twist rate though so you probably can't run heavier bullets to reduce wind drift. If you do have a 8"-twist though you can try something like the 80gn ELDM.

In the .223, the 55gn SP launched at 3300fps has only 1400fps left at 500m, is 1600mm low (from a 200m zero) and is pushed 2500mm by a 10mph wind. The 80gn ELDM launched at 2800fps is still doing 1850fps at 500m, is 1500mm low, but is only pushed 1200mm by the same wind. I consider beating the wind to be more important than outright accuracy once you're out past about 300m. You're probably ranging the distance so trajectory becomes irrelevant, you're probably very well stabilised so accuracy is optimised, but the wind will always be the variable.

I just bought 500 80gn ELDM's for $165 so price isn't too bad either - about three times the price of buying 6000 55gn SP's for $750.

As for favorite brand, I try all sorts of stuff but I find myself falling back on Hornady and Speer primarily. Price and availability are good with great performance. I use some Nosler as well and I like them, but they're expensive and don't offer anything I'm not getting from cheaper bullets.

If I were shooting long-range competition I'd be inclined toward some of the monolithic bullets. Being machined I think they have to be more precisely made than swaged lead in drawn copper jackets. You would probably sacrifice some BC though due to them being lighter for length.

Primers I haven't done any real testing with. I've mixed some different LR's and SR's though (Rem, CCI, Fed, Win) in test loads and haven't seen any measurable difference. I just run Rem 9-1/2M in all LR cases, Rem 7-1/2 in all SR cases, Win LP Mag in the .44 Magnum, and CCI SP500 in the .38 Special (I wanted different brands so I didn't mix them up - rifle primers don't work for me in the pistol cartridges).
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jun 2018, 7:00 pm

My personal experience is that at $90 per 500, the Hornady ZMax is a bargain, good enough to shoot in the .200 out of a 22/250. I have not improved with another 50 or 55 grain projectile. If you get something else expecting an improvement you may be disappointed. If you get a 1:8 twist barrel you will probably get your best results from a 69 or 80 grain SMK or 80 grain Berger.
If you get good results from a Federal match primer then don't change, I use CCI BR4 and am very happy with them, in a 22/250 I use BR2.
Bladeracer made a very good point in regards to the range available with these lighter pills. I would hesitate to try hitting something much more than 300 metres away. Perhaps a rabbit but bigger game are a risky shot.
Have you tried a YoDave trigger spring in the Tikka? For $10 it makes a real improvement.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2018, 7:10 pm

I used to love the old Nosler Solid Base projectiles, they just seemed to kill that much better and had a real thump sound when they hit compared to the Ballistic tips.

I also love the Super Roos out of the 22.250 they were very accurate and killed every bit as well as the Nosler Solid Base.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bills Shed » 05 Jun 2018, 7:31 pm

What Gwion said.. .5MOA is fine for field conditions. To be really blunt, most errors are probably from the operator, ME. and the ammo to a far lesser degree. Most gear is pretty good and has to be, as it will get crucified on sites like this if it is not. Shooting is all about consistency and as humans we are .....not.
If you can do a 2" group at 200M with off the shelf, cheap cup and core projectiles, stop and go have a beer.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 05 Jun 2018, 8:54 pm

Personally i really like the Sierra Super roos cheap and consistent i have found that they seem to be better than the hornaday roo max and as Gwion said half inch @ 100 will do you well. I really like the 69tmk for bunnys and foxes however not a hunting round. I would love it if hornaday or Sierra would release a 69gr ballistic tip as my rifle is a laser pointer with the Smk. One day
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 05 Jun 2018, 8:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I used to love the old Nosler Solid Base projectiles, they just seemed to kill that much better and had a real thump sound when they hit compared to the Ballistic tips.

I also love the Super Roos out of the 22.250 they were very accurate and killed every bit as well as the Nosler Solid Base.

I still have some of those old Nosler solid base 50gn but haven’t had a chance to see how they shoot.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2018, 9:31 pm

JimTom wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I used to love the old Nosler Solid Base projectiles, they just seemed to kill that much better and had a real thump sound when they hit compared to the Ballistic tips.

I still have some of those old Nosler solid base 50gn but haven’t had a chance to see how they shoot.

They go great, wish I still had some floating around. :cry:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 05 Jun 2018, 9:48 pm

I'll move onto them once my 55gn are used up. Have some BM1 that I will try with them, which apparently was the perfect match way back when. We shall see.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 06 Jun 2018, 7:55 am

I'd try the Berger 52gr HP in the 22-250 if you want a premium type projectile. I've tried them in 223 and shot pretty well. I mainly use Zmax at $90 per 500 they and hard to go past.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition