300AAC Reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 300AAC Reloading

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jun 2018, 12:17 pm

madang55 wrote:Because everyone has a 308.
The way I understand things is....and any corrections are most welcome.
If a 308 is sub sonic, and a 300 is sub sonic, whats the difference? To be sub-sonic they both leave the barrel at around the same velocity, giving the same projectile weight the same down range result? A 308 has a larger case capacity therefore you are tending to have more vacant space after loading? The 308 was never intended to be sub-sonic, the 300 was. I don't even know if I will use the heavier bullets as subs, but the lighter weights, 110gr to 165gr etc, will come in handy for what I'm looking at doing. The 300 has way less recoil and my wife and daughter wont be intimidated by it. Its something new and until it proves to me to be not worth the effort, I will have some fun.

I've shot 308 subsonic out of a Rem 700 with a suppressor. It's very quiet but the same as 300 BO but 300 BO is in a more compact package than a 308 sized firearm.

I find for new shooters 300 BO is a great cartridge for shooting out to 300 yards.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sungazer » 16 Jun 2018, 5:25 pm

Wow that is something I didn't know. Dont know really what I imagined the case would be. A really good idea to use the 223 case. I would think it would need a pretty fast powder for a case like that and a short barrel esp 9 inch. You are right never get a 9 inch barrel over here, however the 16 inch or whatever the rules are would still make it a light and compact rifle with little kick if using the lighter pills. For the casting crowd (junkies :) ) it would be a cheap round as well.

Personally I tend to buy guns to use them at there mid to upper capabilities at least so far, and if I want a cheaper or smaller round get the smaller rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Jun 2018, 5:36 pm

I can understand why you would use a Blackout in an AR platform. For other applications would a 45/70 with a load of Trailboss get the job done and be more fun. Not knocking the blackout, love the fact that it is different.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2018, 5:56 pm

Interested if anyone has tried cast pills in the 300bo?
Member-Deleted

Post by madang55 » 17 Jun 2018, 3:23 pm

Its interesting that all the talk is that it was designed for use with a suppressor? My take is that the sub sonic loads through a gas operated system, i.e. AR, require the suppressor to provide additional pressure for the system to cycle efficiently? Especially when the burn time and barrel length are so limited. The short range shooting, i.e. within limited spaces, buildings etc, means they have a round that wont necessarily go through walls and cause unnecessary casualties. The use of suppressors will be when the SOG don't want the bad guys to know they are there. The 300 will need to prove to be REALLY good for them to want to replace what they have now in that regard. IMO
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 18 Jun 2018, 11:46 am

sungazer wrote:Wow that is something I didn't know. Dont know really what I imagined the case would be. A really good idea to use the 223 case. I would think it would need a pretty fast powder for a case like that and a short barrel esp 9 inch. You are right never get a 9 inch barrel over here, however the 16 inch or whatever the rules are would still make it a light and compact rifle with little kick if using the lighter pills. For the casting crowd (junkies :) ) it would be a cheap round as well.

Personally I tend to buy guns to use them at there mid to upper capabilities at least so far, and if I want a cheaper or smaller round get the smaller rifle.

Well when it was designed it was designed for that 9 inch barrel with a suppressor. Once it caught on in the civilian market though, most Americans are shooting them out of a 16 inch barrel plus as to have anything shorter on a rifle requires a $200 tax stamp and months of approval time(short barrel rifle) or it can be classed as a pistol but with no stock only a "brace" allowed. So over the past 6-7 years there has been rapid development of the cartridge to suit other barrel lengths and gas systems. In my opinion unlike 308 Winchester or 30-06 which have been around for decades, this cartridge is relatively new and over the coming years will develop and optimize further.

Some make their own 300 Blackout brass out of 223 or 5.56 brass by using a chopsaw and then reforming the case. Many manufacturers make their own specific brass now. Much of the brass I use is a mix of 223 and 5.56 cut and reformed by a company that does such things. Really all 300 Blackout is, is a 223 case cut down to accept a 30 caliber bullet. That's it.

We have small casting companies here in the USA making 200g plus coated lead bullets for 7 or 8 cents a bullet, that makes for close range quiet subsonic target or varmit shooting.

I find a lot of people are critical of the cartridge, but I think people need to understand that it's meant to be a close range quiet round and for hunting it will take down anything up to a deer or roo. It's not intended for long range shooting or large game.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 18 Jun 2018, 11:53 am

Johno wrote:Interested if anyone has tried cast pills in the 300bo?

It is becoming rapidly popular here in the USA. Do a search on Youtube for coated 300 Blackout bullets, you should see a number of videos pop up.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sungazer » 18 Jun 2018, 1:56 pm

Wanneroo sorry to take this off topic but a quick question What is the legalites of the Ruger Charger? We see in Australia it is listed as a pistol however there are stock kits around that have a fixed butt stock that effectively make it a short barrel rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by wanneroo » 19 Jun 2018, 11:08 am

sungazer wrote:Wanneroo sorry to take this off topic but a quick question What is the legalites of the Ruger Charger? We see in Australia it is listed as a pistol however there are stock kits around that have a fixed butt stock that effectively make it a short barrel rifle.

Here in the USA, it's a pistol. Anything you put a stock on has to have a 16 inch barrel, however there is a vague legal area of using an "arm brace" on a pistol. Anyone can make a short barrel rifle, however it requires a $200 tax stamp and approval with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives, which takes months of waiting.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition