.22 Magnum Projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: .22 Magnum Projectiles

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Jun 2018, 10:05 pm

Oh should have mentioned I got a 22wmr rifle. For pow pow got a 22lr as well
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm

Thanks Gunnie & Blade...
Was just a thought for cheap...(or a cheap thought...lol)
Guess ill stick to Zmax for now.
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 10:30 pm

This...
SCJ429 wrote:Could you give the loaded rounds to a mate with a 22 magnum or swap them for a box of Vmax?
:thumbsup:

This...
SCJ429 wrote:Seems to be a waste to pull apart perfectly good ammo.

& This...
Roo farmer wrote:Just find someone who has a 22 magnum, and sell them the ammo you have. 22 magnum rounds are ridiculously expensive for what they are. Even if you sold them for half shop price you could still go and buy decent projectiles instead.

You get the idea...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2018, 11:31 pm

Personally, I'd just buy a .22WMR rifle, and another safe :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jun 2018, 9:58 am

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I think I'll just hold them until I can find someone to give them to.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 13 Jun 2018, 4:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gunnnie wrote:The Winchester 40gn 22 Mag JHP pills were the ducks nuts for the 22Hornet. Especially the BRNO ZKW465'2 due to the .223 bore.
I used the last of a stash I had for my 22K-Hornet Martini custom, about 2yrs ago. Was still lamenting the lack of these pills on the store shelves, when I received an email asking if I was interested in 1200 of them!!!! :shock: :o :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hell yeah!!!

Try them in your 222 but with a slightly reduced powder charge.

Are you implying that the WMR bullets you used were .223"?
.224" bullets work well in .223" Hornets.

Not quite. The European Hornet rifles had a .223" bore & the WMR 40gn JHP pills shot very well in them. Sierra also produced a 40gn HP projectile which was .223", specifically for Hornet rifles. There were also a lot of Martini Cadet 22 rf rifles which were re-chambered to Hornet. Such rifles had a .223" bore. So it's feasible to say that the 22WMR pills are/could be .223".

When the 1200 arrive I'll measure one and confirm.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2018, 5:04 pm

gunnnie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Are you implying that the WMR bullets you used were .223"?
.224" bullets work well in .223" Hornets.

Not quite. The European Hornet rifles had a .223" bore & the WMR 40gn JHP pills shot very well in them. Sierra also produced a 40gn HP projectile which was .223", specifically for Hornet rifles. There were also a lot of Martini Cadet 22 rf rifles which were re-chambered to Hornet. Such rifles had a .223" bore. So it's feasible to say that the 22WMR pills are/could be .223".

When the 1200 arrive I'll measure one and confirm.

I know you can still buy .223" bullets for the early Hornet, but I've never heard of them being loaded in WMR ammo. As far as I'm aware WMR has only ever been loaded with .224" bullets, I'd be interested to know if I'm wrong is all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Jun 2018, 9:08 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6020 times
I think this is what you have. They are a soft point and the lead point seems to be "copper washed". They are a .224" projectile. I had several thousand of them and sold my last seven hundred to the LGS as he could not get them.
I build my own now as a HP. With a short jacket you can make an evil soft point.
I too would sell the WMR rounds complete. As far as I know the 22WMR has always had a .224" projectile. To have a hornet that has a .223" barrel it would need to be a pretty old rifle now.

Bill
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6020 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.09 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2018, 9:40 pm

Bills Shed wrote:
image.jpeg
I think this is what you have. They are a soft point and the lead point seems to be "copper washed". They are a .224" projectile.

Yep, that's the bullet I'm talking about.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Jun 2018, 10:17 am

Yep,that's what I used to shoot too
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gunnnie » 14 Jun 2018, 6:20 pm

That's the ones Bill. I have 1200 coming from a guy down in VIC.
Well you're on the mark re old Hornet as I'm referring to the BRNO ZKW465's and the later Model 2 Fox in Hornet. The ZKW's were made from the late 40's on till the Fox came out. Which from memory was in the late 60's early 70's until production stopped in the late 80's I believe; could be wrong on that time frame though!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jun 2018, 7:32 pm

gunnnie wrote:That's the ones Bill. I have 1200 coming from a guy down in VIC.
Well you're on the mark re old Hornet as I'm referring to the BRNO ZKW465's and the later Model 2 Fox in Hornet. The ZKW's were made from the late 40's on till the Fox came out. Which from memory was in the late 60's early 70's until production stopped in the late 80's I believe; could be wrong on that time frame though!

I knew a bloke in WA with a Brno Fox Hornet, beautiful rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 14 Jun 2018, 7:49 pm

I did use them in an Anschutz hornet a few years ago and they were very good. I did load a couple up for my 223 last year and they were not very good. I'm guessing if you wand a 40gr pill, go for the proper ones
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Jun 2018, 9:45 pm

madang55 wrote:I did use them in an Anschutz hornet a few years ago and they were very good. I did load a couple up for my 223 last year and they were not very good. I'm guessing if you wand a 40gr pill, go for the proper ones

What is a proper one? I do not understand that statement. I find the 223 is not so accurate with the 40 gn but the 222 was awesome, as is / was the hornets. Probably more to do with twist rates and free bore with "modern" rifles that tend to use longer projectiles

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Jun 2018, 8:36 am

If anyone is after some 40gn jacketed soft point projectiles, just pm me. I have a few laying around.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition