Unknown reloading gadget

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Unknown reloading gadget

Post by ExArmy » 19 Jun 2018, 11:13 pm

Hi, does anyone recognise this device (see uploaded image), I think it's something to do with reloading ammo, but I'm unsure of what it's actually supposed to be used for. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Unknown-Measuring---Trimming-Device.jpg
Unknown-Measuring---Trimming-Device.jpg (177.98 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
ExArmy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Unknown reloading gadget

Post by Rod_outbak » 20 Jun 2018, 1:26 pm

It looks to me like some sort of a vernier caliper set up for measuring something like COAL on loaded ammunition.

It doesnt looks like you have everything there; the inch and CM scale start at different heights.
I wouldnt be surprised if there is another part that sits in beside that blue base.

A mystery to me.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 20 Jun 2018, 2:46 pm

It's a height gauge and most commonly used to set the blade depth on circular / table saws though it has many other uses such as to measure COAL / Case length.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Digital-Height-Gauges
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ExArmy » 20 Jun 2018, 3:42 pm

Rod-outbak, I think you're right. There's definitely something else that's supposed to go with this thing because of the way the measurements are staggered.
brett1868, thanks for the links to the digital height gauges, that certainly sheds some light as to what this thing is.
I came across this gadget in box of assorted reloading gear that I bought out west and I'm slowly sorting and cataloguing all the the stuff.
ExArmy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ExArmy » 20 Jun 2018, 3:44 pm

Here's a photo of the rear.
Attachments
Unknown Measuring - Trimming Device (Rear).jpg
Unknown Measuring - Trimming Device (Rear).jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2724 times
ExArmy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jun 2018, 6:06 pm

The reason the scale on the body starts at different points is because the scales on the slider start at different points, thats all. This is a really cheap and nasty vernier height gauge instantly recognizable to any fitter & turner, toolmaker or machinist from 1st year apprentice and up. Due to it's crap quality, throw it in the bin and buy a halfway decent set of calipers, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jun 2018, 6:10 pm

Not certain but the tables on the back look like some thread specs. Whitworth is a English thread not often used these days.

My bet is a vernier style height guage adapted to measure coal.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 20 Jun 2018, 8:45 pm

These things are normally used by machinists, tool makers and the like. They're typically used on a gauge plate made of finely ground, perfectly flat iron or granite for marking out, comparing and measuring precision lathe and milling jobs.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm

The numbers on the back can be used to calculate threads based on measuring the distance between the grooves. It's an old school instrument and next to useless for reloading unless used in conjunction with a surface plate. As suggested, throw it back in a corner and buy a good set of Vernier's as they are more reliable and easier to use when measuring for reloading.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 20 Jun 2018, 11:44 pm

Yep, Vernia height gauge, used on marking out tables and setting heights for cutters etc. never used one for reloading or swaging. As said if you are just measuring COL just get a 250mm Vernia caliper.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 22 Jun 2018, 4:39 pm

Is is a hight guage used by machinist like me for marking out would use mine at least once a week you could use it for measuring coal but a good one Starret or Moor And wright would be inxcess of $750 calipers much cheaper and quicker

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... RxIPhmFYuw
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition