55gr Blitzkings

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

55gr Blitzkings

Post by Jon79 » 21 Jun 2018, 5:32 pm

Went out shooting last night and the daughter gut shot a hare with the 223 and while skinning it for dog food I found the projectile (55gr Blitzking) stuck in the skin.....looking at how it shredded just from a gut shot on a hare I definitely wouldn't attempt using them on anything larger than a fox.

the gamekings from memory are meant to have a thicker jacket than the blitzkings? might try them I think

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 55gr Blitzkings

Post by sungazer » 21 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

What type of range was it?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Jon79 » 21 Jun 2018, 6:01 pm

sungazer wrote:What type of range was it?

about 120 meters
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting...

Meat goats are basically foxes--really not any measurable amount of extra 'tuff-ness' to them, so i cant imagine a goat going anywhere with one of them strategically placed within its vitals or the back or side of its noggn.
& headshots should do the trick on anything you'd normally do with a 222/223 cartridge.

Have you shot bone with them...?
Id be interested to see the results of that. :thumbsup:

Do you know muzzle velocity...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 21 Jun 2018, 6:39 pm

Stix wrote:Thanks for posting...

head shots on hares there's pretty much nothing left of the head...maybe an ear, other times when bone is hit they seem to just explode and splinter in all directions

they were Buffalo river stuff which lists their velocity at 3200 fps
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Jun 2018, 6:58 pm

They are pretty frangable, I would be happy using them on game up to 40 to 60. Kilos if the range wasn't great and I could place my shot. Blitzkings have performed well for me but Gamekings are not a bad choice also. I would say that the bullet you recovered performed very well, good job recovering it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 7:31 pm

Jon79 wrote:
Stix wrote:Thanks for posting...

head shots on hares there's pretty much nothing left of the head...maybe an ear, other times when bone is hit they seem to just explode and splinter in all directions

they were Buffalo river stuff which lists their velocity at 3200 fps

Ok-i only asked incase they were loaded down for your daughter.
I rekon they'd be ok put in the right spot on game up to goats..
If they do that to a hare/bunny's head they should vaporize the chest cavity of a tender young meat goat if hit bone.
But they would be a headshot bullet for me.

SCJ429 wrote: I would say that the bullet you recovered performed very well, good job recovering it.

Yea ditto...!! Its expanded nicely in soft stuff.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 21 Jun 2018, 8:23 pm

I have the factory Blitzkings and the Gamekings you speak off. I have not shot any game with them yet but did put them over the Chrono. which surprised me to find them so hot. They didnt make the 3200 but they were above 3000 fps. I am still setting up this 223 rifle its had about 150 rounds of various types. Just got serious today and removed the extractor so i could measure where the lands are for each round i have on the reloading bench. By removing the extractor I found my measurements were about 20 thou or more out. So I will be hoping for some better results now. Also time to get serious with the correct powders for the projectile weight and to get case capacity correct with those two variables hopefully giving me the speed I am after.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jun 2018, 5:44 am

Ok-i only asked incase they were loaded down for your daughter.
I rekon they'd be ok put in the right spot on game up to goats..
If they do that to a hare/bunny's head they should vaporize the chest cavity of a tender young meat goat if hit bone.
But they would be a headshot bullet for me.

SCJ429 wrote:
I would say that the bullet you recovered performed very well, good job recovering it.o

Yea ditto...!! Its expanded nicely in soft stuff.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Matt 86 » 22 Jun 2018, 8:41 am

Hello all
I use 55gr blitzkings from my howa 1500 223 for roo and pigs rabbits and dogs they work really well I shoot out to 300m and drops game easy the only thing I find bad with them maybe one in a 200 rounds might be a dud maybe less powder :unknown:
Matt 86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition