Brand spanking new reloader

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Brand spanking new reloader

Post by jashman61 » 22 Jun 2018, 3:49 pm

Hi Guys,

Brand new here and brand new to reloading.
Just wanted some advice on reloading kits.
Currently, I'm trying to decide between the Hornandy LNL Classic Reloading Kit and the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit. I just have very little experience in this sort of thing. One store has said the Lee is better another store said the Hornandy is better.
If you have another option, i'm all ears.

If it makes any difference I shoot 300WM and mainly want to focus on target shooting.

Thanks
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Brand spanking new reloader

Post by eddahenry » 23 Jun 2018, 12:54 am

, just that your loading the 300WM i would go with the more ridged Hornady Iron Press kit for the extra 100 bucks pretty sure both the others are Cast ali , or you could go RCBS rock chucker or what i run a MEC MArksman witch is nice but dosent come in a kit
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 23 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

I have a Lee kit, it loads multiple calibres with zero issues. The Lee kit is perhaps not as fancy as the Hornady but is perfectly serviceable. Realistically they are very similar and the novice reloader will not notice any appreciable difference. Entry level kits are kind of like the Ford vs Holden argument. People will recommend what they use and like but there really is not much between them.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 23 Jun 2018, 9:37 am

I started with the Lee kit. Are you going to neck size the 300wm? The Lee press is still bolted to my bench and it will stay that way. I do most of my reloading on it.

I prefer the full length size on the RCBS Rock crusher press I have as it feels a bit more solid than the Lee. I don't full length size very often. I image the Hornady press is similar as I haven't used the Hornady press. The Lee press will do everything you need to in reality though. I'd probably save the 100 bucks and put it to something else.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jun 2018, 10:02 am

Any of the kits will get you started, RCBS gives outstanding customer service. They replaced a broken primer seater after 20 years of use for me. What kind of shooting are you reloading you 300wm for?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by jashman61 » 23 Jun 2018, 10:27 am

Thanks for the responses.

Eddahenry
I think the Iron press kit is a tad out of my price range. Something like $1,400. Found a place in the U.S that sells it for $600USD. Seems unfair.

Supaduke,
Thanks for the advice.

Cooper,
I would more than likely just be neck sizing it to begin with.

SCJ429,
Target shooting, with the very occasional roo shooting if it ever came up. That's about the extent of it.
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 23 Jun 2018, 11:19 am

The Lee kit is a great kit and I prefer the Lee dies over the Hornady. Even if you want to upgrade at some stage to the Lee cast press for whatever reason its only like $170 compared to some very expensive presses from other manufactures. At the end of the day it is only pushing up as long as it does it in a straight plane.
They can all be damaged if you get stuck case and go really heavy handed on them (Strip threads) so getting a cheaper one to start out is probably wise.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

I agree about the Lee dies, they produce some very straight ammo for cheap dies. For target shooting try some Sierra match kings or some Bergers, load them with some 2213 or 2217 and do some load development.
Lee case lube is pretty good too. A 300 WM is a bit of a handful to shoot off the bench, good luck with it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 2:03 pm

jashman61 wrote:Hi Guys,

Brand new here and brand new to reloading.
Just wanted some advice on reloading kits.
Currently, I'm trying to decide between the Hornandy LNL Classic Reloading Kit and the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit. I just have very little experience in this sort of thing. One store has said the Lee is better another store said the Hornandy is better.

If it makes any difference I shoot 300WM and mainly want to focus on target shooting.

Thanks

I would go with the Lee and their collet neck die.
For added precision get the Hornady Bullet Comparator so you can tweak your bullet seating to get consistent bullet jump.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jashman61 » 23 Jun 2018, 2:08 pm

Am I wrong or does the press come with the kit at 790?
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Jun 2018, 2:16 pm

jashman61 wrote:Am I wrong or does the press come with the kit at 790?

Press comes with the kit mate... :thumbsup:
Be careful with this Iron Press...the priming function is a brilliant idea...when it works...!!!
(So you may want to also consider a hand priming tool as well-rhen you can prime on the couch too...!)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jashman61 » 23 Jun 2018, 2:20 pm

Stix wrote:
Be careful with this Iron Press...the priming function is a brilliant idea...when it works...!!!
(So you may want to also consider a hand priming tool as well-rhen you can prime on the couch too...!)

Thanks Stix.
Might stick with some of the OG suggestions and stick with the Lee.

Good Idea!
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jashman61 » 23 Jun 2018, 2:38 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I agree about the Lee dies, they produce some very straight ammo for cheap dies. For target shooting try some Sierra match kings or some Bergers, load them with some 2213 or 2217 and do some load development.
Lee case lube is pretty good too. A 300 WM is a bit of a handful to shoot off the bench, good luck with it.

Thanks mate!
Any advice on bullet grain?
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Jun 2018, 6:04 pm

jashman61 wrote:
Stix wrote:

Thanks Stix.
Might stick with some of the OG suggestions and stick with the Lee.

Good Idea!

Just pointing out a flaw in the early ones...not sure whet they're like now-i believed some things have been rectified/improved so still do your research.
Its a comfortable & strong press to use & great with the open front too...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

jashman61 wrote:Any advice on bullet grain?

What are trying to achieve with it?
Long-range precision you'll probably want a high-BC heavy bullet. Close range target you can give up BC for precision.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jashman61 » 23 Jun 2018, 6:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Long-range precision you'll probably want a high-BC heavy bullet. Close range target you can give up BC for precision.

Basically longer range shooting.
I have to shoot at the local range which maxes out at 500m I'm pretty sure. But I'd like to be able to get past that eventually. That's the end goal.
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 7:56 pm

jashman61 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I have to shoot at the local range which maxes out at 500m I'm pretty sure. But I'd like to be able to get past that eventually. That's the end goal.

I'd be trying the ELDM and Matchking for a start.
I just bought some 240gn Matchkings to try in my .30-06.
I also got some 225gn ELDM which is longer than the 240gn.
Also doing some experimenting with AR2217, way less pressure for the same velocities as other powders.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jashman61 » 23 Jun 2018, 9:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jashman61 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'd be trying the ELDM and Matchking for a start.
I just bought some 240gn Matchkings to try in my .30-06.
I also got some 225gn ELDM which is longer than the 240gn.
Also doing some experimenting with AR2217, way less pressure for the same velocities as other powders.

I'll have a look the ELDM's
I was looking at using the AR2209. Maybe I'll experiment a little with both.
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jun 2018, 10:44 pm

For short range a 150 SMK will perform well, I get groups in the low .5s. For longer range the 210, 220 and 230 have the BC you want. I get three inch groups at 500 with 220 SMK but for hunting the 220 Hornady ELDX works great out to 800 if you want to hunt that far out. They load pretty long so you may have to single feed them as they may not fit in your magazine
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jun 2018, 10:50 pm

2209 might be a bit fast for the Win Mag, try something a bit slower with the heavy projectiles. 2217 and 2225 are a bit cooler and kinder to your barrel. Using bore paste is a good idea to help the barrel life of this caliber. Slows down the fire cracking.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by vmaxaust » 24 Jun 2018, 6:49 am

I'm trying to decide between the Hornandy LNL Classic Reloading Kit and the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit. I just have very little experience in this sort of thing. One store has said the Lee is better another store said the Hornandy is better.

Funny how everyone has had different experiences with different brand reloading equipment. I can't speak for any other brands but I'm a bit tired of the Hornady bagging that goes on...crummy dies, this doesn't work, that's no good.

I can't advise on the single stage presses but I have four Hornady LNL progressive presses, use only Hornady dies (not the cheaper ones but the upper quality range) I reload 45ACP, 9mm, 38 Special in handgun and .223, 300AAC Blackout and 303 British. I've never had issues with any of my setups except when cleanliness was sub par. Maintaining everything is the key no matter who's machine you buy. Setting up dies carefully and using case gauges to confirm what you are achieving is important. Measuring your rifles headspace in conjunction with the Hornady bullet comparator as Blade said will ensure you size cases to best suit YOUR rifle.

It's not rocket science but a methodical check and measure, set the dies and keep checking (things move and wear) using a case gauge to confirm you are achieving consistent results. The brand of the equipment often has very little to do with your success. However the Hornady bashing is hilarious to me considering my situation but I've also had problems during loading with machines apparently acting up. 98% of such problems were ME and not the machinery. I'm a mechanical person who built high powered V8 engines for 43 years. I could grind a crank to a tolerance of .0001" in size, journal taper and out of round and even I screwed up in the reloading process.

The machinery can be flawed sometimes. Designers get it wrong. Sometimes you simply have to improvise to overcome problems or ask suppliers if there is a factory fix. Reloading is like any other mechanical endeavour, it's not factory mass produced ammo coming off expensive automatic machines. You have to be prepared to adapt yourself to the possibility that you may need to alter equipment to improve the results you are getting. It's not cut and dried...buy a press and some dies, set them up once and then everything is perfect forever. That's not going to happen. Each brand of equipment has their quirks and once you identify this you will adapt either procedures or adjustments to achieve consistently great results.

Most importantly, don't be put off and decide not to reload yourself. Lot of satisfaction firing your own reloaded rounds and being able to experiment till you optimise a combination. Take head of the ADI loading manual to give you baseline loads and stay conservative at first.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jun 2018, 5:42 pm

Jashman have you loaded your first rounds yet?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by jashman61 » 28 Jun 2018, 6:44 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Jashman have you loaded your first rounds yet?

Nah not yet.
Still got to get all the equipment.
jashman61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jun 2018, 9:48 am

Hopefully you have some time this weekend, load on Saturday and shoot them on Sunday. That is my plan anyway.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MrMickyD » 07 Jul 2018, 8:40 pm

Have a look at Redding their gear is very good , the best imo, but thats just me.
MrMickyD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2018, 2:06 pm

Micky, are you using a bushing Redding die?

Redding S Competition dies are very good, I use them for a 6mm and 30 BR. Wilson and Forster also make quality dies however not every novice reloader wants to spend $100 plus per die. You can make some very straight ammo using Lee dies if you are careful.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blutius Maximus » 10 Jul 2018, 4:17 pm

i don't know if you've got your kit yet, but you mentioned the Lee 50th Anniversary. if you're going to go Lee, get the Breech lock Challenger instead. From memory, the two kits are the same, except the Challenger includes a hand prime as opposed to priming on the press (better feel/control). The hand primer I think is better than the 'on press' safety prime. I'd have to check if there were any other differences.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Return to Reloading ammunition