Empty ADI bottles.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Empty ADI bottles.

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2018, 5:49 am

I'd like to get a couple dozen empty 500gm bottles so I don't have to keep the 4kg bottles in secure storage.
Do any of you save the empty's but haven't actually found any use for them?
I'm happy to pay for them :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Empty ADI bottles.

Post by Supaduke » 24 Jun 2018, 10:56 am

Well ******, I wish you posted this a week ago, just threw a dozen in the bin.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Jun 2018, 11:04 am

I threw a heap away a couple of weeks ago as well
I will hang on to them for you :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2018, 11:31 am

I knew even as I was typing it that this would be the responses, everybody has just done a clean out :-)
I'm picking up another two 4kg bottles this week and just thought it'd be a good time to post the question. I keep the big bottles in another safe and just top up the 500gm bottles in the powder cabinet above my loading bench. But I discovered I have an MTM storage locker that will only take one 4kg bottle with lots of wasted space, but perfectly holds 20(!) 500gm bottles.
Let me know when you have a few worth posting and I'll give you my details and send you some cash for the postage costs :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2018, 12:09 pm

If anybody is looking for compact powder storage it's the MTM ACR8-72 crate - 14"x13.5"x7.25" internally.
$30 normally.
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/mtm-ammunition-crate.php
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 12:21 pm

I do the same blade so you cant have mine sorry...
But i dont shoot anywhere near the volume you do so you'd be waiting a while anyway.

That mtm.box looks good-i just measured a 500gm ADI bottle & see it fits in nicely height wise...!
My calcs say you get a nice fit of 20 bottles in there...is that right...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jun 2018, 12:22 pm

I have a heap, I can leave them next to the letterbox next time you are driving past. Bit of a drive for you though.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jun 2018, 12:31 pm

Even though they are empty you could have issues posting. You might need to remove/obliterate the labels.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

Stix wrote:I do the same blade so you cant have mine sorry...
But i dont shoot anywhere near the volume you do so you'd be waiting a while anyway.

That mtm.box looks good-i just measured a 500gm ADI bottle & see it fits in nicely height wise...!
My calcs say you get a nice fit of 20 bottles in there...is that right...?

Yep, twenty fit in there like they're were designed for it.
I can get the lid closed on two 4kg bottles if I lay them on edge, but it does bulge the top.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2018, 1:23 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have a heap, I can leave them next to the letterbox next time you are driving past. Bit of a drive for you though.

Anywhere near Canberra?
I'm happy to pay you to throw them in a box and write my address on it ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2018, 1:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Even though they are empty you could have issues posting. You might need to remove/obliterate the labels.

I can't see how anybody could see the labels if they're in a box, but I doubt anybody could have a problem with empty bottles.
I have emailed ADI to ask if I can buy two-dozen empty bottles though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jun 2018, 2:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Even though they are empty you could have issues posting. You might need to remove/obliterate the labels.

I can't see how anybody could see the labels if they're in a box, but I doubt anybody could have a problem with empty bottles.
I have emailed ADI to ask if I can buy two-dozen empty bottles though.

Yep, what they don't see won't hurt them. The best option. But if you packed them in the PO using a post pack the reaction may not be what you want. Just saying.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jun 2018, 4:43 pm

The labels just fall off the four kilo containers, never tried to peel them off the small ones.

Bladeracer I have sent you a PM.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Jun 2018, 8:36 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Any CAS poly (ELD) bottle will do, you can buy them on ebay but are a touch pricey that way. From memory the ADI bottles are made by PPG Aust. who also sell direct to the public from their website. Visy also sell ELD bottles but mainly small laboratory bottles or normal drink bottles. Glass jars to delicate for you? I used to use heavy glass chemical jars for powder storage when I was able to buy in bulk for the club, but those days are long gone, and such jars are probably very expensive now. Jump on PPG's website and have a gig, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 8:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yep, what they don't see won't hurt them. The best option. But if you packed them in the PO using a post pack the reaction may not be what you want. Just saying.

That'd be sure to make the news :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 8:42 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
Any CAS poly (ELD) bottle will do, you can buy them on ebay but are a touch pricey that way. From memory the ADI bottles are made by PPG Aust. who also sell direct to the public from their website. Visy also sell ELD bottles but mainly small laboratory bottles or normal drink bottles. Glass jars to delicate for you? I used to use heavy glass chemical jars for powder storage when I was able to buy in bulk for the club, but those days are long gone, and such jars are probably very expensive now. Jump on PPG's website and have a gig, Cheers.

Very useful info there No1Mk3.
I'd prefer to buy them off other shooters though, saves them going to the tip at least, and the cost to me is probably the same.
Not sure I'd like to keep powders in glass, mainly because of my inherent clumsiness, and how painful it is trying to clean up spilled powder :-)
I use glass jam jars to store my recovered bullets, mainly because they stack well, plastic tubs just crush under the weight. The jars each hold 2600gms of bullets, and stack ten-high without failing. I've never managed to drop one, yet. The only plastic containers I've found to be strong enough for bullets are two-litre Coke bottles, but they're damned heavy. I store .22LR brass in them though.

What I'd really like to do is have extra Lee hoppers for each powder, that I can keep in the safe already full, maybe one day.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 1:51 pm

ADI don't sell empty bottles or labels.
But they did confirm my load ideas for the 240gn SMK in the .30-06.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jun 2018, 10:17 pm

My apologies for not replying earlier, I managed to find 2 empties in the garage but I think there's possibly another 8-12 in my storage box. I'll check on the weekend and confirm, also I've got a big run to do which should empty another 2-3 bottles at least. Worse case is 4-5 empties with a best case of maybe 15. Usually I bin them as I empty them but occasionally I'll save a few to make catch cans for the rifles. The one in the picture clips on the barrel of the big gun and catches all the patches and stops any chemicals staining the concrete when scrubbing the barrel. I also have a few containers with smaller holes drilled in the lid and a foam donut to keep them from falling off.

IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg (161.55 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2018, 1:07 am

brett1868 wrote:My apologies for not replying earlier, I managed to find 2 empties in the garage but I think there's possibly another 8-12 in my storage box. I'll check on the weekend and confirm, also I've got a big run to do which should empty another 2-3 bottles at least. Worse case is 4-5 empties with a best case of maybe 15. Usually I bin them as I empty them but occasionally I'll save a few to make catch cans for the rifles. The one in the picture clips on the barrel of the big gun and catches all the patches and stops any chemicals staining the concrete when scrubbing the barrel. I also have a few containers with smaller holes drilled in the lid and a foam donut to keep them from falling off.

IMG_4421.jpg

Much appreciated Brett, let me know when you have them and I'll send you some money.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 29 Jun 2018, 7:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'd like to get a couple dozen empty 500gm bottles so I don't have to keep the 4kg bottles in secure storage.
Do any of you save the empty's but haven't actually found any use for them?
I'm happy to pay for them :-)

Sorry, but I do the same as you. Decant the big bottles into the small ones.

I also buy these great Australian made screw cap plastic bottles to store newly cast, coated and sized bullets mainly for handguns. A 750ml bottle will hold about 850 of my 135gr 9mm bullets. You can stack these easily and they are pretty strong. They also make them in 500ml which holds over 400 of the same bullets.

https://www.astoria.com.au/1l-screw-top-container.html

Like most people I also use large nut jars (plastic) for cleaned cases but you can use them for lots of things reloading related.
Attachments
20180629_194200.jpg
20180629_194200.jpg (320.26 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
20180629_194124.jpg
20180629_194124.jpg (389.62 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

hey...where is "Kirkland"...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by vmaxaust » 29 Jun 2018, 8:04 pm

Stix wrote:hey...where is "Kirkland"...?

Costco's brand.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2018, 8:16 pm

vmaxaust wrote:Sorry, but I do the same as you. Decant the big bottles into the small ones.

I also buy these great Australian made screw cap plastic bottles to store newly cast, coated and sized bullets mainly for handguns. A 750ml bottle will hold about 850 of my 135gr 9mm bullets. You can stack these easily and they are pretty strong. They also make them in 500ml which holds over 400 of the same bullets.

https://www.astoria.com.au/1l-screw-top-container.html

Like most people I also use large nut jars (plastic) for cleaned cases but you can use them for lots of things reloading related.

I prefer smaller boxes for storing bullets. Ebay 500 boxes for $150. They hold about 200 24gn bullets, 125 55gn bullets, 90 70gn bullets, 50 160gn bullets, and 25 265gn bullets. I use slightly larger boxes for storing brass.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-x-Clear-Plastic-Storage-Containers-Boxes-with-Lids-Rectangle-Packaging-NEW-/151769334391
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Jun 2018, 7:44 am

Well I can't really add anything to this conversation, but got my first empty 500g bottle
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2018, 10:13 am

Ziad wrote:Well I can't really add anything to this conversation, but got my first empty 500g bottle

Hang on to it!
When you start buying powder in 4kg bottles you'll appreciate the smaller bottles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Jun 2018, 10:26 am

:thumbsup:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition