375 h&h max loads not reaching velocity

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

375 h&h max loads not reaching velocity

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Jun 2018, 11:58 am

So as the title states the big boomer isnt reaching the targeted velocity.

components used:
speer 270gr projectile
65gr of 2208 powder
current speed through chrono is 2488 to 2498

theres no cratering on the primer or serious flattening it still has rounded edges does anyone know how hard you can push this cartridge with 2208 or should i try a different powder people have gone as far as 69gr of 2208 but i dont feel safe doing this as i dont feel like having it blow up or hurt someone else.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 375 h&h max loads not reaching velocity

Post by marksman » 28 Jun 2018, 12:30 pm

yes you can get there in some rifles, especially if you have a decent jump for the projectile
if you know how to check pressure sign with a micrometer you can try working up to it in 1/2 grains at a time

I use quickload and a hell of a lot of my loads are over book max, one is more than 5 grains over but I would not let anyone else use these loads
they are for this rifle only, reloading books are for every rifle made, old and new, not a tailor made load for a particular rifle like the quickload loads

your barrel may not be a quick one, I have seen tight barrels that shoot faster than expected because they build up more pressure and loose barrels that don't
maybe try 2209, its what I use and would recommend for the 375h&h
also have a look at the 375 weatherby for an extra 300 fps, a true improved version of the 375h&h :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Jun 2018, 12:52 pm

[quote="marksman"]yes you can get there in some rifles, especially if you have a decent jump for the projectile
if you know how to check pressure sign with a micrometer you can try working up to it in 1/2 grains at a time

I use quickload and a hell of a lot of my loads are over book max, one is more than 5 grains over but I would not let anyone else use these loads
they are for this rifle only, reloading books are for every rifle made, old and new, not a tailor made load for a particular rifle like the quickload loads

your barrel may not be a quick one, I have seen tight barrels that shoot faster than expected because they build up more pressure and loose barrels that don't
maybe try 2209, its what I use and would recommend for the 375h&h
also have a look at the 375 weatherby for an extra 300 fps, a true improved version of the 375h&h :thumbsup:[/quote

thanks marksman ill try 1/2 grain increments quickload has states 69.6 gr of 2208 but i wont be going that far i was thinking maybe 1 or 2 grains more ill have to try 2209 i only used 2208 as i use that for 308 and 223 with great accuracy also have you tryed reloader 15?
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 1:08 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:So as the title states the big boomer isnt reaching the targeted velocity.

components used:
speer 270gr projectile
65gr of 2208 powder
current speed through chrono is 2488 to 2498

theres no cratering on the primer or serious flattening it still has rounded edges does anyone know how hard you can push this cartridge with 2208 or should i try a different powder people have gone as far as 69gr of 2208 but i dont feel safe doing this as i dont feel like having it blow up or hurt someone else.

I wouldn't use AR2208. Did you see velocity increase as you pushed from 65gn up to 69gn? Try AR2209, or even better AR2213SC or AR2217. These last two usually make great velocity with significantly less pressure.

Is there a reason you are pursuing such velocity? 270gn at 2500fps is pretty damned potent already.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

speed kills :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly: :sarcasm: :drinks:

hey blade you should try shooting 2206 in a 375h&h, smacks you like tyson :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 2:39 pm

marksman wrote:speed kills :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly: :sarcasm: :drinks:

hey blade you should try shooting 2206 in a 375h&h, smacks you like tyson :wtf:

I just shot three five-round groups with the '03-A3, that's enough for me for today :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ten » 28 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

2208 seems to give the best accuracy in the .375 H&H. Checking my notes I was using 68gr with the 270gr Woodleigh which was noted as moderate. I'm now shooting 260gr Accubonds and 69.5gr 2208 and am very satisfied. David.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Jun 2018, 5:36 pm

hey blade i never went past 65 grains of 2208 this load is stated as max from ADI load data reason im going for 2600fps with the 270 everyone that has shown groups have found the speers to group good at that speed some guy shot a 3 shot group at 100m under .3 of a inch i shot 20 shots off the bench with out a sore shoulder so its not kicking or punching like tyson :lol:

thansk for the info Ten ill slowly move it up how did you find case life at that much grains of 2208 im using the ruger no 1 and was told by a RO that he gets more fps easily with 300gr pills :crazy: ill move up in the 1/2 grain and chrono each one if 2208 fails to do its job ill try 2209 and also reloader 15
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 5:57 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:hey blade i never went past 65 grains of 2208 this load is stated as max from ADI load data reason im going for 2600fps with the 270 everyone that has shown groups have found the speers to group good at that speed some guy shot a 3 shot group at 100m under .3 of a inch i shot 20 shots off the bench with out a sore shoulder so its not kicking or punching like tyson :lol:

thansk for the info Ten ill slowly move it up how did you find case life at that much grains of 2208 im using the ruger no 1 and was told by a RO that he gets more fps easily with 300gr pills :crazy: ill move up in the 1/2 grain and chrono each one if 2208 fails to do its job ill try 2209 and also reloader 15

Sorry, I misread your post. I've found that some powders give very little return in velocity once you pass a certain charge weight.
While 2600fps might give good accuracy in some rifles, there's nothing to say yours will do the same. I wouldn't be concerned in chasing velocity as long as you aren't seeing severe pressure signs. I load the .204 past ADI's max with no pressure signs, and still with good case life.
I don't consider three shots to be a "group" or an indication of load potential. Try ten rounds and then you should have a good feel for what the load will do consistently. With a .375H&H though I'm guessing it'd be very unlikely you'd ever be firing more than one round, so all shots would be taken in a cold bore. Hard to test that as you need to cool the barrel completely between shots.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

i understand what your saying about how some powders dont give much more velocity once there at max thats why im cautious about going past max with the 2208 i have a feeling its not gonna get much faster and all im gonna get is pressure signs hence why im thinking a different powder may be better if i can get a inch or even a inch and half at 100m ill be happy right now its throwing 4 inch groups on me and thats with it rested on a front rest i also have to play with the pressure that goes on the barrel under the forend if it doesnt get better because ruger no 1's have that weird pressure screw under the barrel so its gonna take awhile to get it to shoot decent
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jun 2018, 6:21 pm

I use 2209 in a Sako with 300 grain projectiles and it sends them off at just over 2600 fps. I found very small gains for the last grain of powder perhaps only an extra 30 fps.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 6:21 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:i understand what your saying about how some powders dont give much more velocity once there at max thats why im cautious about going past max with the 2208 i have a feeling its not gonna get much faster and all im gonna get is pressure signs hence why im thinking a different powder may be better if i can get a inch or even a inch and half at 100m ill be happy right now its throwing 4 inch groups on me and thats with it rested on a front rest i also have to play with the pressure that goes on the barrel under the forend if it doesnt get better because ruger no 1's have that weird pressure screw under the barrel so its gonna take awhile to get it to shoot decent

I see your problem, four-inch groups is not great. Have you tried other bullet weights and designs? Maybe your rifle just doesn't like this particular bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jun 2018, 6:27 pm

I have a few Ruger #1 and they don't like the front bag too far from the action. You can try bedding the front hanger to improve things, this is very simple to do. Have you tricked up the trigger, the factory trigger can be greatly improved which will help heaps.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Jun 2018, 9:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have a few Ruger #1 and they don't like the front bag too far from the action. You can try bedding the front hanger to improve things, this is very simple to do. Have you tricked up the trigger, the factory trigger can be greatly improved which will help heaps.

i havent played with it to much ive only had it for 2 months so far ill try sitting the front rest near the action as for trigger i havnt played with it as i found it to be fine no creep its a 2010/2011 build date by the serial number aswell
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm

All of my #1 are from the 70's and 80's, triggers were terrible and the barrels were worse. I think they have improved since then. You may still need to treat them with a regular hit with bore bright to lift the finish and settle the copper fouling. It might take a hundred rounds before it is run in and settles. You should be able to get it shooting close to an inch once you sort it out. I did my farmer assist target with a 416 #1, it shot .950 much to the range officers surprise.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 29 Jun 2018, 4:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:All of my #1 are from the 70's and 80's, triggers were terrible and the barrels were worse. I think they have improved since then. You may still need to treat them with a regular hit with bore bright to lift the finish and settle the copper fouling. It might take a hundred rounds before it is run in and settles. You should be able to get it shooting close to an inch once you sort it out. I did my farmer assist target with a 416 #1, it shot .950 much to the range officers surprise.

funny you say run some bore bright through it i just recently done that as for testing loads i went to my local gunshop and they have no 2209 or 2208 for atleast a month or more so no shooting for awhile :cry:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 07 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Nightforcenxs, for starters, I'd change powder to ADI AR-2209, it (and IMR-4350) are the recognised best powder for the .375 H&H.

FYI, I worked up to and now use the recommended Maximum powder charge of 80.0grns of AR-2209, a CCI 250 Magnum primer, under various 300grn bullets.
I can't remember the chronoed velocity at the moment, but it's in the 2500 or 2600fps range.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by nightforcenxs » 07 Jul 2018, 3:28 pm

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Nightforcenxs, for starters, I'd change powder to ADI AR-2209, it (and IMR-4350) are the recognised best powder for the .375 H&H.

FYI, I worked up to and now use the recommended Maximum powder charge of 80.0grns of AR-2209, a CCI 250 Magnum primer, under various 300grn bullets.
I can't remember the chronoed velocity at the moment, but it's in the 2500 or 2600fps range.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

thanks for the info Homer. well i got to the range today and tryed my luck with the 2208 i went 65.5gr to 67gr in half grain increments i used the lab radar to check velocity it peaked 2598 at 66gr after that it stayed the same and 67gr went slower so all i was doing was creating more pressure no more velocity so 2208 is being side lined and i will go to 2209 like i should have in the start but a valuable lesson has been learnt with powder more isnt always more speed.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition