Reloading .17HMR for 1000yd shooting

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading .17HMR for 1000yd shooting

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jul 2018, 11:43 am

IF it's legit it would be impressive!!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 05 Jul 2018, 2:06 pm

I don't quite get the part when he says he doesn't want to walk the impact in. However they will do that for a week in practice. Then stop for a day and the next day call it a first round hit.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm

I agree with you guys, doing this "with .17HMR" is quite different to doing it with a custom built rifle and bastardised ammo, but it's still pretty neat if he can manage it. It's not like it's going to be carrying any energy for any practical purpose :-)

My calcs were just showing the requirements to keep the bullet supersonic at 1000yds, but the bullet only needs to hit the target at 1fps at 1000yds, as long as it's still travelling reasonably accurately. Lots and lots of targets have been hit at long range without being supersonic.

I think walking the bullet onto the target is different from simply taking a shot and getting a hit. You could shoot 5000 rounds over six months practicing, but getting a cold-bore hit on the day is still impressive.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2018, 6:13 am

My 223 wallaby rifle with 50gn bullets is capable of 1" groups and smaller at 300yd on a day with good even wind. I can even keep it around the 5 ring at 600yds when everything goes right. The slightest variation in wind can tripple that group size. Any serious gusting or mid range fluctuations just blow it all over the place out at 600yd, which is it's absolute limit for supersonic impact. This is a 50gn bullet with a higher BC that the .17 35gn bullet, leaving the barrel at 3150fps (short barrel).

The 'typical' groups these guys are claiming just screams horse doodoo.
If they can do that, they should be unbeatable at world champ fclass or other precision shoots with their shooting skill, mirical working gunsmith, flawless reloading and divine wind reading.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 06 Jul 2018, 10:30 am

I think they are going to be shooting on "That Day" the overcast inverted weather system with no wind. Again I don't think the first round hit is such a big deal once you have your rifle dope. If it is a reasonable rifle results should be repeatable from one session to the next all thing considered.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2018, 12:40 pm

Gwion wrote:My 223 wallaby rifle with 50gn bullets is capable of 1" groups and smaller at 300yd on a day with good even wind. I can even keep it around the 5 ring at 600yds when everything goes right. The slightest variation in wind can tripple that group size. Any serious gusting or mid range fluctuations just blow it all over the place out at 600yd, which is it's absolute limit for supersonic impact. This is a 50gn bullet with a higher BC that the .17 35gn bullet, leaving the barrel at 3150fps (short barrel).

If they can do that, they should be unbeatable at world champ fclass or other precision shoots with their shooting skill, mirical working gunsmith, flawless reloading and divine wind reading.....

I agree about the accuracy side of it, but I think the practicality is that the shot is certainly possible.
I had a look at the trajectory of the Hornady .17HMR 20gn VMAX load at 2550fps. BC is only .125 compared to the .230 of the 25gn bullet. The calculator gives it barely more than 2000yd maximum potential range, and is virtually falling vertically by 2100yds. At about 1500yds it is is falling at 45-degrees. And, for a 1000yd zero, the bullet reaches 18.6m above LoS at 600yds, shooting up at an angle of two-degrees, requiring a +3500mm (117MoA) 100m zero. It is already subsonic by 260yds, and under 500fps at 100yds.

Now consider, Mark & Sam have done .22LR at 900yds...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg808TYc2Ao..although not a cold-bore hit. If they'd used a 48"-square target instead of the 24" they would've hit it with very good consistency, even in that wind. I don't know what their "group size" would've been, but probably sub-5MoA?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Jul 2018, 1:47 pm

WTF
I have enough trouble hitting the target using my 8.8 cm kwk 43 l/71 gun in my old Tiger 2 tank at 1000 yards !
Good luck with the 17 hmr .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2018, 5:30 pm

sungazer wrote:I think they are going to be shooting on "That Day" the overcast inverted weather system with no wind. Again I don't think the first round hit is such a big deal once you have your rifle dope. If it is a reasonable rifle results should be repeatable from one session to the next all thing considered.

Fair call.
There aren't too many of "those days", though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2018, 5:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gwion wrote:My 223 wallaby rifle with 50gn bullets is capable of 1" groups and smaller at 300yd on a day with good even wind. I can even keep it around the 5 ring at 600yds when everything goes right. The slightest variation in wind can tripple that group size. Any serious gusting or mid range fluctuations just blow it all over the place out at 600yd, which is it's absolute limit for supersonic impact. This is a 50gn bullet with a higher BC that the .17 35gn bullet, leaving the barrel at 3150fps (short barrel).

I agree about the accuracy side of it, but I think the practicality is that the shot is certainly possible.
I had a look at the trajectory of the Hornady .17HMR 20gn VMAX load at 2550fps. BC is only .125 compared to the .230 of the 25gn bullet. The calculator gives it barely more than 2000yd maximum potential range, and is virtually falling vertically by 2100yds. At about 1500yds it is is falling at 45-degrees. And, for a 1000yd zero, the bullet reaches 18.6m above LoS at 600yds, shooting up at an angle of two-degrees, requiring a +3500mm (117MoA) 100m zero. It is already subsonic by 260yds, and under 500fps at 100yds.

Now consider, Mark & Sam have done .22LR at 900yds...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg808TYc2Ao..although not a cold-bore hit. If they'd used a 48"-square target instead of the 24" they would've hit it with very good consistency, even in that wind. I don't know what their "group size" would've been, but probably sub-5MoA?

Sure. Not saying it can't be done. Just saying it can't be done on your "typical" shooting day with any sort of reliability. Those little bullets would be pushed around by a sparrow flying past at those ranges...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 06 Jul 2018, 6:04 pm

Blade what calculator are you using. I tried JBM and got really different results, I then thought of trying Hornady Site if they had something specific for the 17HMR as it was one of their projectiles they only had a pretty basic calculator but it was close to the JBM results.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jul 2018, 11:35 am

sungazer wrote:Blade what calculator are you using. I tried JBM and got really different results, I then thought of trying Hornady Site if they had something specific for the 17HMR as it was one of their projectiles they only had a pretty basic calculator but it was close to the JBM results.

I used this one - http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ - but I have several bookmarked, I haven't found one that I prefer for all things so far. JBM has been annoying me lately with failing to update all the changes when I run it. I'll put a set of numbers in and run it and find it's kept some of the previous numbers.

I can't get the hang of the Hornady one at all, unless I'm using one of their bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition