Powder for .38

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Powder for .38

Post by goodbrew » 07 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm

Hi guys
My first post - very nice to find an Aussie site !
I'm having trouble (as I think we all are) getting hold of my favorite powder for .38 special - Winchester WST.

I would like to use an ADI powder but having tried AP50 I am having trouble with it metering through my progressive Lee press due to its flake shape.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or has any suggestions to help ?

Regards to all :)
goodbrew
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Powder for .38

Post by AusC » 08 Jan 2014, 7:31 am

Welcome to the forum GB,

I'm not the expert on the .38 by I'm actually meeting up with a mate who has a couple of them today.

I'll ask him for his feedback for you.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Techc » 08 Jan 2014, 8:01 am

G'day Goodbrew.

Welcome to the site.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by goodbrew » 09 Jan 2014, 10:11 am

Thanks for the welcome guys it will be interesting to get some thoughts on this. The american situation is really making it difficult to get reloading supplies in country SA .
goodbrew
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by AusC » 09 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

Haven't forgotten about that info for you mate.

My mate gave me his reloading notes book and I've got a few highlights for you. Flat out :(

Will post for tonight with a bit of luck.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 10 Jan 2014, 7:34 am

So here are the notes for you on a couple of loads GB, my mate's using the RCBS progressive press so the powder thrower will be a bit different, but here they are anyway...

Using AP50 he has the occasional load being .1 or so gr off. He'd noticed on the problem loads it seems to be an issue of the powder throwing catching on the powder granules as the arm goes up - There is a little extra resistance and it basically crunches through the powder to finish the throw.

Seems that it's either compressing a fraction more powder in, or push it out instead of cleanly parting the granules as the measure closes.

He found that the lower density AS30N would feed through the thrower more smoothly without 'catching' on the powder and crunching a little extra in or out.

He suggested just manually dispensing a bunch of powder through your thrower with it's handle instead of using the press, so you can easily feel if it's smoothly dispensing or getting stuck, and how often.

He's still turning a load of each powder in 2 different pistols, but that's the impression of things on the powder thrower issue.

Hope that helps?
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 10 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm

I have encountered problems with the Lee auto disk when trying to throw a very light loads with ap 50 and 70 (small disk). Trailboss is even worse. What weight( volume cc) are you trying to throw?

You might also check your powder thought die is adjusted correctly and the case is fully actuating the thrower mechanism.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Reloading ammunition