Reloading... powders, throwers or scales?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading... powders, throwers or scales?

Post by Faedy » 11 Jul 2018, 12:00 am

Hi all
My first post in this forum, but Im a long time shooter, and old used to be reloader.
Like a lot,I grew up as a farm boy shooting every day, then moved, got married bla bla bal.
Finally now In 50, Ive got the time, and property to get back into guns.
I currently have a .223, .243, .300winmag amoungst others that I regularly use, but these 3 cal I would like to reload for.
Many years ago, I used to reload .22 hornet .222, .32-20, on an old 6 turret super simplex press which I still have.
Is this useable for my current needs, or should I look at something newer?
Also, on powder throwers - still using these, or digital scales?
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Reloading... powders, throwers or scales?

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jul 2018, 7:48 pm

Just use what you have, I use a powder thrower and balance beam scale and have loaded thousands of rounds this year. Build up your loading gear gradually.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jul 2018, 9:14 pm

Cheers Faerdy and welcome.

Good bullets and good cases and good reloading dies will suffice.

I use a powder thrower with scales to check loads occasionally.

Buggerall has happened in the intervening years except more expensive gear that can gain you tiny bits of accuracy for serious $

Pretty much depends on the quality of the rifles and what you want to shoot how far away.

As it always has.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 12 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

Basic scales, strong press and a good thrower worked then and still work today. Carry on.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Faedy » 13 Jul 2018, 12:26 am

Cheers - will the super simplex neck size the .300 win mag ok?
Time to grease the old gear up and have some fun again by the looks of it.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Jul 2018, 6:06 am

Faedy,

I'd suggest you might need to budget on upgrading the press in the near future.
I'm sure the Super Simplex isnt able to FL size any of the cartridges you mention (Possibly MIGHT do the .223, but certainly not the others).
They arent an overly strong press.
A basic O-Frame press as made by Hornady, Lee, RCBS etc, would be the go, but then you'll need to change your dies, as the Super Simplex uses its own thread to mount the dies. The Super Simplex uses 5/8" dies, wheras the default industry standard for dies is 7/8"x14(First developed by Lee, I think).
NOTE: There is an adapter that allows you to set up the Super Simplex Dies in the new presses:
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collec ... -8-adapter
There is quite a bit of other gear for the Super Simplex, that Rebel Gun Works (Brisbane) stock.
Also note that the Super Simplex and the Simplex Master are 2 different designs of press; the Master runs the larger standard dies, and is able to FL size cases, due to it's stronger design.
You'll find you'll still be able to do some of the functions on the Super Simplex, but certainly FL sizing will be a LOT more tedious, if you have to do them all in the Simplex method (vice).
I'd also suggest a good set of calipers (digital if the eyesight isnt as keen as 30 years ago), and the Hornady headspacing gauges, so you can dial in the headspace adjustments for each cartridge you load. (Thats if you dont already have both).

Mechanical powder throwers and mechanical scales are plenty good enough to get you started. You can always upgrade them in the future, if you think the convenience is worth the money. A little set of digital scales arent overly expensive(<$100), and can be pretty handy for checking your work.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition