Wet tumbling with stainless steel media

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Wet tumbling with stainless steel media

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 11:50 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Stix wrote:SO...!!
Did you little luvvy lust-birds give any thought or consideration to others who may be jealous here... ? :mrgreen:
NO...!! Clearly NOT...!!
Well who cares... :unknown:
I dont...!!
Wot Eva[/attachment]

Don’t be like that...there’s enough love in the world :-)

I usually save up my tasks and will end up doing large amounts of brass...then large amounts of priming, and so on - one step at a time x 200 of each step so I’ve gone with a 5kg tumbler if I get anywhere near Stix or MM’s results - I’ll consider it a success over the ole sonic....

Ah sorry...a poor attempt at humour i guess...I must have typed that in the wrong tone...jealosy really isnt my thing... :D
:lol: :unknown:

When i first got my wet tumbler i did the same...lots of cases at once...
But i weight sort each batch, so if i throw 200 cases in at once, ive gotts get 200 back in order... :roll: ...no thanks... :thumbsdown:

So now i try to mix up cartridges...if i can ill do a single batch of 50, of 204, 22-250 & 308 at once...
Makes it a bit easier to weight sort again.

If i dont have enough of other cases to do/only one batch, i leave them in a little longer.

Deano...how quick do yours tarnish...?

Yes mine yellow off a bit, & certainly dont stay shiny for as long as new cases do once i start handling them, but i just figure thats brass when its man handled.. :unknown:

Ill have to wet rub the opening to smooth it out so i can use cold water...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jul 2019, 1:38 am

I hear "wash n wax" type car cleaners reduces tarnishing.

I'll be giving it a try.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 7:31 am

Wouldn’t a quick and very light “squirt” of WD stop the tarnish?
I too am going to start weighing cases and batching...learning much do to, master yoda.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 Jul 2019, 12:01 pm

I dont spray them with anything, i want them dry.
I graphite the necks when i seat bullets after wet tumbling...so not keen on a wet finish on the cases...not keen on stuff sticking to the case & taking lumps of crud into the chamber.

Not sure what the answer is though... :unknown:
Maybe its just cold water...or a rinse aid... :unknown: ..or maybe we just send all our cases to marksman with self addressed post bags for return... :unknown: :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 12:02 pm

Stix wrote:I dont spray them with anything, i want them dry.
I graphite the necks when i seat bullets after wet tumbling...so not keen on a wet finish on the cases...not keen on stuff sticking to the case & taking lumps of crud into the chamber.

Not sure what the answer is though... :unknown:
Maybe its just cold water...or a rinse aid... :unknown: ..or maybe we just send all our cases to marksman with self addressed post bags for return... :unknown: :)

Farken lolz.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jul 2019, 3:56 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Wouldn’t a quick and very light “squirt” of WD stop the tarnish?
I too am going to start weighing cases and batching...learning much do to, master yoda.

I'd be wary of using oils on cleaned cases.

Oil, gunpowder and primers dont mix.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 5:21 pm

Wd = fish oil. You only need an insanely tiny tiny amount to keep tarnish at bay...less than the light coat of gun oil in your chamber. I be never tried it - cause I’ve never wet tumbled...but there must be some coating on sold brass...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Jul 2019, 5:49 pm

Well saw the best one...I think I am gonna save 150+ bucks. I already have a concrete mixer and heaps of pop rivets... gonna cut the pop rivets to smaller pieces. The concrete mixer I'll place a plastic jar with these pins and solution and brass.... and let it RIP.

Saw it on bookface.... what could possibly go wrong
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 16 Jul 2019, 6:19 pm

The first lot I did I went too strong with the acid and they came out extremely shiny and in an hour had tarnished. I then started researching and was washing with a wax car wash and mild citric acid and it was ok . They would come out clean but not pretty. Pretty cases are important. I then started cleaning for longer with a weaker solution, rinsing in running water well. Drop into a towel to pat dry and then a spray with crc or similar. I then rub them lightly in the towel again so there is no free oil and leave them to dry. They are good, but not as good as Marksman’s.
Everyone states that new factory brass is all protective coated to retain shine.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 10:15 pm

Ziad wrote:Well saw the best one...I think I am gonna save 150+ bucks. I already have a concrete mixer and heaps of pop rivets... gonna cut the pop rivets to smaller pieces. The concrete mixer I'll place a plastic jar with these pins and solution and brass.... and let it RIP.

Saw it on bookface.... what could possibly go wrong

If you knew how many times I’ve walked into my shed - stared at the concrete mixer and thought....hmmmm....then - don’t be fukn stoppid and walked away...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Jul 2019, 2:17 am

Just do it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 18 Jul 2019, 2:13 am

Bit the bullet (or the wallet) and ordered one of these things with some of their S/S pins and a bag of their MP103 compound. I couldn't go the cement mixer route outlined above (which looks attractive) because I don't have one. Nearly got one of those Chinese ebay jobbies that were half the price but didn't want to get something that I might have to worry about its durability
Attachments
tumbler.JPG
tumbler.JPG (114.33 KiB) Viewed 11837 times
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Jul 2019, 10:19 pm

gordicans wrote:Bit the bullet (or the wallet) and ordered one of these things with some of their S/S pins and a bag of their MP103 compound. I couldn't go the cement mixer route outlined above (which looks attractive) because I don't have one. Nearly got one of those Chinese ebay jobbies that were half the price but didn't want to get something that I might have to worry about its durability

Love mine They are great.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jul 2019, 2:00 pm

My Ebay 5ltr tumbler arrived today.

It's tumbling away in the shed with the ball bearing media that it came with, 2.5 ltrs of luke warm water, 1/4 tablespoon of citric acid and 1/2 tablespoon of washing powder and 48 .223 cases as I type this post.

It's already obvious that the balls won't clean the pockets well but the rest is looking just fine.
I've got 1 kg of pins coming form the link that another member posted eirler.

I can't fault it yet.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 20 Jul 2019, 2:15 pm

I have heard of blokes using metho after cleaning. Aids in drying and apparently reduces tarnishing. Haven’t tried it myself.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm

That might be worth a crack jimtom... :unknown: :thumbsup:
They rekon metho leaves a residue so it might be enough to stop the discolouration... :unknown:

Couldnt hurt to give it a crack...who's got a batch of brass thats about to go in the tumbler...?
Once rinsed, give it a final rinse in water with a cup of metho thrown in... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 2:49 pm

30 mins with Chinese 5kg cleaner.
White vinegar, dash of soap, warm water and stainless balls.
Amazing job.
Attachments
DBF1F9CE-3BF6-438F-9AC7-3536E3EDBBF2.jpeg
DBF1F9CE-3BF6-438F-9AC7-3536E3EDBBF2.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 11648 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 02 Aug 2019, 4:07 pm

Balls..?
Id imagine they'd come out the cases easier, but how'd they go cleaning the primer pockets...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 02 Aug 2019, 4:26 pm

good job Tassie :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Aug 2019, 5:19 pm

You may be onto something Stix balls don't do a good job in tight areas that's why they are situated where they are on the penis
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 5:36 pm

Pockets need attention regardless - I could throw in ultrasonic but I generally clean individual pockets anyway.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Aug 2019, 5:53 pm

The balls don't get into the corners of the pockets but they leave a nice finish everywhere else, they don't have any sharp edges like fresh pins do, so I've found they are slower to do the job.

What I've been doing is tumbling with pins in citric acid and detergent for an hour or until clean then running the balls for an hour in fresh water to give the a rinse and a better shine.

I'm finding that warm water is great for keeping the seal tight, as it cooks it creates a slight vacuum.

I've only had it leak once so far, The citric acid was reacting with either the laundry powder or very dirty brass, it was gassing off and making pressure inside the tumbler.
I simply mixed the next batch and let it sit with the lid open for 10 minutes untill the reaction stopped.

I did a batch of brass that I found in the sand hills for sihts and giggles. It was black when it went in and looked new inside and out after 3 hours.
Screenshot_20190802-171954_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-171954_Gallery.jpg (588.15 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

Screenshot_20190802-172006_Gallery.jpg
Too bad it won't chamber
Screenshot_20190802-172006_Gallery.jpg (585.3 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Aug 2019, 10:29 pm

Id suggest to get the pins Tassie...no point in doing the primer pockets after being in the tumbler...you bought it to clean after all...

If anyone's interested...i dont dry with a towel...
I use a couple ply boards like this...
Just slammed a few rungs of 1st fix galv nails through bit of ply...this ply is off-cuts of form ply...
2019-08-02 21.26.05.jpg
Case dryer
2019-08-02 21.26.05.jpg (438.3 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

Here is another bit...
Guess what its from...?
2019-08-02 21.41.09.jpg
Case dryer
2019-08-02 21.41.09.jpg (425.94 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

Its the corner off-cut from my camo portable shooting bench...
I was too lazy to even cut the corners off before i fired all the nails through... :lol:
(Heres a pic of the bench on page 4 of this thread...)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8826&start=54
... ... ...
I make sure the nail isnt sitting in the flash hole when drying & either sit them in front of the combustion heater in winter, or outside during day in summer.

It leaves the slightest mark on inside of neck (some kind of galvanic reaction i guess) but i just brush that out with a nylon brush before priming.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2019, 12:10 am

I sit mine in a wooden reloading block to dry.

I find that a quick blast of compressed air through each shell speeds up the drying time. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2019, 8:51 am

I wrap mine in a rag ball and hang from clothes line - walk passed - give it a decent shake.

Just wondering on the pins - is there a possibility with some larger cases where a pin might jam into a pocket and wedge in to the tumbler...?

I must say - after seeing the hornady $350 unit - I’d buy 3 more of these non round eye cheapo units lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 03 Aug 2019, 11:52 am

Not quite sure what you mean by "pin might jam into a pocket and wedge in to the tumbler...?" Tassie. :unknown:

If you mean a pin jam.in flash hole or primer pocket...i doubt it.
I think flash holes are lots bigger than pins.

I once found a pin in a loading block when i was charging...so i do give the cases a good tap not only when taking out the tumbler, but also when priming etc...

Since then ive wondered how many people in the world have fired pins down the barrel after wet tumbling...& what damage a pin may or may not do.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2019, 11:59 am

Pins definitely get jammed inside the cases now and then, but they don't jammed in the tumbler as such.

It pays to carefully inspect inside each case before reloading.

Short pins seem to jam easier.
The companys who sell pins "especially for tumbling cases" claim to have worked out the ideal length and diameter to minimise pins getting jammed.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Aug 2019, 12:12 pm

I do a lot of 17 cal brass and the pins can be jammed in there tight. Slightly larger diameter pins fixed that. Those little bottle necks can be painful to shake the pins out of. I too have found SS pins in loading blocks and I got a little paranoid. As the pins were magnetic I put just one pin into a loaded round and seated a projectile. Put the loaded round on the kitchen bench on it side and used my strongest magnet to see if you could detect the pin. Yes you can. The loaded round did not exactly jump to the magnet but it defiantly moved and that is all that was required to confirm if any of my past loaded rounds had any pins. Tested them all like this, no pins found.

Bill

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 03 Aug 2019, 1:15 pm

Good tip Bill... :thumbsup:

Where can i buy magnets...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Aug 2019, 1:34 pm

thats a good setup Stix :thumbsup:

what I do is after I have shaken the pins out in a bucket of clean cold water I give the cases a blast of compressed air to blow out the inside then the primer pockets, I will give the cases a roll around in an old towel afterwards to make sure there is no moisture left
I dont reload them straight away and may put them upside down in an old polystyrene ammo tray for the night
I do like the idea of a wipe with a slightly oily rag or cloth but not much as it could cause problems :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition