Wet tumbling with stainless steel media

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Wet tumbling with stainless steel media

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jul 2019, 9:06 pm

Cheers - one is on the way.,
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2019, 7:23 am

deanp100 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’ve got an ultrasonic cleaner and it’s okay - not great...

Anyone tried these cheap as tumblers?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5KG-3KG-Rot ... 9-YovZwYoA

I have that exact tumbler. It has changed my life. It does a fabulous job for next to no dollars. I use car wash with citric acid and the brass comes out very shiny. Initially had a bit of an issue with tarnishing but I now dump them into a towel to roughly dry and then give them a spray with wd40 and then ruffle them in the towel again and there is enough of a coating to stop tarnishing. One tip though, fill the barrel with water completely as it needs that weight to hold it down on the rubber wheels . If you use less water it slips on the drive wheel.
Cheers
Deano

How do you find a 3 kilo size?
Will the 3 kilo comfortably take 50 x 308 / 253 cases?
I'm yet to decide between 3 and 5 kilos, I won't be cleaning more than 50 at a time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 13 Jul 2019, 8:03 am

on_one_wheel wrote:How do you find a 3 kilo size?
Will the 3 kilo comfortably take 50 x 308 / 253 cases?
I'm yet to decide between 3 and 5 kilos, I won't be cleaning more than 50 at a time.

Ive found my tumbler is more efficient the fuller it is...
So i try do a couple of batches of diff cartridges at s time...so for example 50x304 & 50x7-08...

So if you only going to do 50 at a time, maybe go the smaller one...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 13 Jul 2019, 8:26 am

The 3 kg will take 50 308s easily, probably a lot more. My biggest batch was probably 150 mixed 222, 221 and some 308’s. Only took 20 mins or so.
Just checked my eBay profile. Mine was listed as a 4 kg unit. Looks the same as the other ad. Looks like you can buy a large 4 kg or a small 4 kg.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 13 Jul 2019, 12:21 pm

I had a 3kg one and I dont think it took the 50 308 cases easily. I would say just. The 3 kg one is also much harder to use. The opening is hard to get your hand in and out of. My 3 kg one could not hold as many pins worst of all it broke after maybe just a year.
I then purchased a 5kg one and it really is much better, stronger and will take the 50 308 cases without a problem. You dont want all the cases and pins jammed in there. The units work much better with some space so everything can mix and move easily.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by gordicans » 13 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

sungazer wrote:Give Mark Granger a message on Australian Reloading and Trade he was importing a really good tumbler for about that price. he was not making much on them at all. I use a Aus converted KT 2000 the 5 kg version much better than the 3. They really are the way to go. The KT's are cheap and they do have problems here and there or sometimes so it is probably wise to buy a quality one that will really last.

Hi Sungazer, why do you think the 5kg version much better than the 3gk? Is it simply the bigger size or is there something else about them?

I don't go through a lot of cartridges so the 3kg version might suffice. The other alternative is the Lortone 3A Tumbler from Aussie Saphire which looks like a good quality unit but is nearly double the price.
Regards Ian
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Jul 2019, 3:50 pm

Question regarding the 3 or 5kg ones. How many pins do you put in the jar and anyone got a link for good pins on Ebay
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2019, 4:48 pm

sungazer wrote:I had a 3kg one and I dont think it took the 50 308 cases easily. I would say just. The 3 kg one is also much harder to use. The opening is hard to get your hand in and out of. My 3 kg one could not hold as many pins worst of all it broke after maybe just a year.
I then purchased a 5kg one and it really is much better, stronger and will take the 50 308 cases without a problem. You dont want all the cases and pins jammed in there. The units work much better with some space so everything can mix and move easily.

Thank you sir.

I'll definitely buy the 5kg one then.

I didn't imagine in my wildest dreams getting a reply from someone who's had both sizes.... how good are forums! :drinks:
Cheers
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 13 Jul 2019, 6:09 pm

Ziad wrote:Question regarding the 3 or 5kg ones. How many pins do you put in the jar and anyone got a link for good pins on Ebay

I just use the ball bearings they sent and I tip,them all in. With the barrel on its end they are probably an inch deep.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by gordicans » 13 Jul 2019, 6:27 pm

deanp100 wrote:
Ziad wrote:Question regarding the 3 or 5kg ones. How many pins do you put in the jar and anyone got a link for good pins on Ebay

I just use the ball bearings they sent and I tip,them all in. With the barrel on its end they are probably an inch deep.

Wondering though if the ball bearing ones will clean out the primer pockets as well as the little stainless steel pins? ie the ball bearings aren't going to get into the corners of the primer part of the case etc like the pins will. But hell the stainless pins are pretty expensive though ... cheapest I've found is the $45 for 1kg from Saphire.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 13 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm

gordicans wrote:
deanp100 wrote:

Wondering though if the ball bearing ones will clean out the primer pockets as well as the little stainless steel pins? ie the ball bearings aren't going to get into the corners of the primer part of the case etc like the pins will. But hell the stainless pins are pretty expensive though ... cheapest I've found is the $45 for 1kg from Saphire.

I guess the primer pockets aren’t shiny like the rest of the case but the chemicals alone give them a good clean
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 13 Jul 2019, 10:59 pm

In the 3 kg one I purchased it came with no pins as advertised. I kicked up a stink with the ebay seller and got a part refund. With that I put it towards the kg of Lyman pins which I had already ordered. These are great no rust what so ever I keep them in the tumbler under water all the time. I did get pins with the 5Kg one dont think I have used any. This was through the Australian seller he changes plugs and may swap out pins. Most I have heard that come cheap with pins or balls the pins rust and the balls dont work very well.

The 5kg unit is a bit larger in every way and I think it is a stronger machine, however being Chinese longevity I think is always hit and miss. My 3kg tub did leak which I fixed with silicon. The thing I least liked about it was the size of the tub and being able to get cases out with you hand. I would never go back just absolutely no pros to the 3 kg unit.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by gordicans » 14 Jul 2019, 12:59 am

thanks for the feedback sungazer. I've researched this topic over the last couple of days and there is no question...wet tumbling with stainless steal pins is vastly superior by a huge margin to either the dry corn cob tumblers or the sonic cleaning method.

What is odd is how no gun shops in Australia have cottoned on to this and simply don't provide any type of wet tumbling package to the local market, a type of cleaning which is obviously way superior to the other two forms of cartridge cleaning. I mean wtf? Are they asleep at the wheel? You'd think it would be a no brainer from a retailer's point of view. Just as astonishing is that a relatively small jewelry outfit in Glenn Innes (www.aussiesapphire.com.au) is way ahead of any Australian gun shop in marketing this type of product to Australian shooters
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mark » 14 Jul 2019, 7:09 am

A little something i knocked up. Hold 12lt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbGm1_3J5vk
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by vmaxaust » 14 Jul 2019, 7:49 am

gordicans wrote:thanks for the feedback sungazer. I've researched this topic over the last couple of days and there is no question...wet tumbling with stainless steal pins is vastly superior by a huge margin to either the dry corn cob tumblers or the sonic cleaning method.

What is odd is how no gun shops in Australia have cottoned on to this and simply don't provide any type of wet tumbling package to the local market, a type of cleaning which is obviously way superior to the other two forms of cartridge cleaning. I mean wtf? Are they asleep at the wheel? You'd think it would be a no brainer from a retailer's point of view. Just as astonishing is that a relatively small jewelry outfit in Glenn Innes (http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au) is way ahead of any Australian gun shop in marketing this type of product to Australian shooters

Vested interests. They want to sell name brands where they receive reasonable discounts.

Aussie Sapphire's burnishing compound by the way is still the best for use in any tumbler. Those who use home made mixtures need to try some.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2019, 8:07 am

The pins cost almost the same as the tumbler :lol:
Screenshot_20190714-073142_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-073142_eBay.jpg (260.47 KiB) Viewed 4531 times

Screenshot_20190714-073201_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-073201_eBay.jpg (271.35 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mark » 14 Jul 2019, 8:13 am

These are the pins i use, from .222 to 300wm no dramas
https://www.gemworld.com.au/products/mo ... t-1kg-pins
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 9:31 am

Look like pop rivet pins cut in half
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jul 2019, 11:02 am

IMO I wouldn't fart around with the cheap Chinese tumblers. The Frankford Arsenal one kicks butt and is meant for tumbling cartridges and lots of them. I've cleaned tens of thousands and it's worth the money.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 4:32 pm

A friend bought a hornady and had problem after problem with electrics...was the reason I bought an ultra sonic.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2019, 4:58 pm

Mark wrote:These are the pins i use, from .222 to 300wm no dramas
https://www.gemworld.com.au/products/mo ... t-1kg-pins

That's a pretty good deal :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

Hey I have an ultrasonic tbh I am rather happy with my mixture. Sure it doesn't look shiny but it cleans in 7 minutes.

Hence I am unsure why I wanna try a tumbler..... lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 5:33 pm

Ziad wrote:Hey I have an ultrasonic tbh I am rather happy with my mixture. Sure it doesn't look shiny but it cleans in 7 minutes.

Hence I am unsure why I wanna try a tumbler..... lol

There’s clean and there’s bright and shiny.
My ultrasonic cleans well but I still find cracked necks, disfigures, etc after I’ve reloaded some darker cases...I’m hoping a tumbler will cut down that issue.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jul 2019, 10:10 pm

The only thing that gets me is some necks are shiny clean others seem like they still have a bit of blackness left... wonder if it makes any difference.

Plus yes shiny... Ben trying to get a friend to tumble my brass 4 me... but looks like I'll have to do it myself. Recon every 5th fire get it tumbled... fire up the barbie and anneal it. Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Jul 2019, 9:56 am

I usually only tumble my cases when I prep them myself as I dont like the dryness of the inside of the neck after it is done
when you shoot the necks get a coating of carbon that gives the bullet a bit better slip IMO
or I have remedied this also by tumbling in walnut media after wet tumbling
I dont see anything wrong with buying the cheaper tumblers, its really up to you to get the best that you can
I use a rebel 17, the 17 stands for 17 pounds and would recommend it to anyone but the cost was around the $500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hL9dpAv-zI
I get lemshine from the states instead of the citric acid because that is what they recommend and it works but whatever works for you
mine has been used for over 3 years now without a hitch and has done thousands and thousands of all different cases
anyway like all things shooting get the best that you can as long as it works for you :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jul 2019, 10:14 am

If you don't mind me asking marksman mate where do you buy the lemshine from I have just bought a small tumbler a week or so ago tried one batch but didn't use any citric acid came out ok but slightly dull I used auto dish washer liquid it supposed to have a bit of lemon in it but it took 2 hrs to clean the brass
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 10:44 am

Try citric acid first--you can get it from supermarket for a few bob so you can do it today, or while you're waiting for the gear from USA.

I think i just use a mix of around 20ish percent white vinegar to hot water (just measure out 4 or 5 coffee mugs of water to one cup vinegar), dribble in a teaspoon or 3 of dish liquid (volume depending on brand/strength of detergent) & a heaped teaspoon of citric acid.

Im no experimenter, so i dont know how good or bad that mix is.....but my brass emerges as white gold from black water so that recipe works...

(Im happy to hear what others use)

My solution comes out very murky black when theyre clean cos i only tumble when i bump back/FL size every 5th or so firing...so the cases are nicely dulled off by then with a good inner coating of carbon...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jul 2019, 5:47 pm

Thanks Stix but i'm out of brass to clean at the moment but will give anything a try but will still get the Lemshine and give it a go as wellAlso I was told to get the ratio of brass , water and suds and media right and i'll have no problems but marksmans look bloody good it must be the bower bird in me :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Jul 2019, 5:54 pm

MM was kind enough to send me a significant number of prepped 300 cases...and I have to say what ever he is using is the ducks guts. I’ve bought a tumbler based on these MM cases alone.
Thank you again MM. very, very generous of you. Xxx. :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 6:55 pm

SO...!!
Did you little luvvy lust-birds give any thought or consideration to others who may be jealous here... ? :mrgreen:
NO...!! Clearly NOT...!!
Well who cares... :unknown:
I dont...!!
Wot Eva... :(

Ok...so...How much is this lemishine & how much you use per mix...?

This is the results i get with less than $5 worth of vinegar & citric acid ($5 worth does lots n lots of tumbles)...the pic is not enhanced in any way either...apart from its the one pic cropped differently...
:drinks:

2019-07-15 18.10.38.jpg
Tumbled & rinsed...
2019-07-15 18.10.38.jpg (325.72 KiB) Viewed 11753 times

2019-07-15 18.05.03.jpg
2019-07-15 18.05.03.jpg (295.58 KiB) Viewed 11753 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition