Wet tumbling with stainless steel media

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Wet tumbling with stainless steel media

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jul 2019, 11:02 am

IMO I wouldn't fart around with the cheap Chinese tumblers. The Frankford Arsenal one kicks butt and is meant for tumbling cartridges and lots of them. I've cleaned tens of thousands and it's worth the money.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 4:32 pm

A friend bought a hornady and had problem after problem with electrics...was the reason I bought an ultra sonic.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2019, 4:58 pm

Mark wrote:These are the pins i use, from .222 to 300wm no dramas
https://www.gemworld.com.au/products/mo ... t-1kg-pins

That's a pretty good deal :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

Hey I have an ultrasonic tbh I am rather happy with my mixture. Sure it doesn't look shiny but it cleans in 7 minutes.

Hence I am unsure why I wanna try a tumbler..... lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 5:33 pm

Ziad wrote:Hey I have an ultrasonic tbh I am rather happy with my mixture. Sure it doesn't look shiny but it cleans in 7 minutes.

Hence I am unsure why I wanna try a tumbler..... lol

There’s clean and there’s bright and shiny.
My ultrasonic cleans well but I still find cracked necks, disfigures, etc after I’ve reloaded some darker cases...I’m hoping a tumbler will cut down that issue.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jul 2019, 10:10 pm

The only thing that gets me is some necks are shiny clean others seem like they still have a bit of blackness left... wonder if it makes any difference.

Plus yes shiny... Ben trying to get a friend to tumble my brass 4 me... but looks like I'll have to do it myself. Recon every 5th fire get it tumbled... fire up the barbie and anneal it. Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Jul 2019, 9:56 am

I usually only tumble my cases when I prep them myself as I dont like the dryness of the inside of the neck after it is done
when you shoot the necks get a coating of carbon that gives the bullet a bit better slip IMO
or I have remedied this also by tumbling in walnut media after wet tumbling
I dont see anything wrong with buying the cheaper tumblers, its really up to you to get the best that you can
I use a rebel 17, the 17 stands for 17 pounds and would recommend it to anyone but the cost was around the $500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hL9dpAv-zI
I get lemshine from the states instead of the citric acid because that is what they recommend and it works but whatever works for you
mine has been used for over 3 years now without a hitch and has done thousands and thousands of all different cases
anyway like all things shooting get the best that you can as long as it works for you :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jul 2019, 10:14 am

If you don't mind me asking marksman mate where do you buy the lemshine from I have just bought a small tumbler a week or so ago tried one batch but didn't use any citric acid came out ok but slightly dull I used auto dish washer liquid it supposed to have a bit of lemon in it but it took 2 hrs to clean the brass
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 10:44 am

Try citric acid first--you can get it from supermarket for a few bob so you can do it today, or while you're waiting for the gear from USA.

I think i just use a mix of around 20ish percent white vinegar to hot water (just measure out 4 or 5 coffee mugs of water to one cup vinegar), dribble in a teaspoon or 3 of dish liquid (volume depending on brand/strength of detergent) & a heaped teaspoon of citric acid.

Im no experimenter, so i dont know how good or bad that mix is.....but my brass emerges as white gold from black water so that recipe works...

(Im happy to hear what others use)

My solution comes out very murky black when theyre clean cos i only tumble when i bump back/FL size every 5th or so firing...so the cases are nicely dulled off by then with a good inner coating of carbon...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jul 2019, 5:47 pm

Thanks Stix but i'm out of brass to clean at the moment but will give anything a try but will still get the Lemshine and give it a go as wellAlso I was told to get the ratio of brass , water and suds and media right and i'll have no problems but marksmans look bloody good it must be the bower bird in me :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Jul 2019, 5:54 pm

MM was kind enough to send me a significant number of prepped 300 cases...and I have to say what ever he is using is the ducks guts. I’ve bought a tumbler based on these MM cases alone.
Thank you again MM. very, very generous of you. Xxx. :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 6:55 pm

SO...!!
Did you little luvvy lust-birds give any thought or consideration to others who may be jealous here... ? :mrgreen:
NO...!! Clearly NOT...!!
Well who cares... :unknown:
I dont...!!
Wot Eva... :(

Ok...so...How much is this lemishine & how much you use per mix...?

This is the results i get with less than $5 worth of vinegar & citric acid ($5 worth does lots n lots of tumbles)...the pic is not enhanced in any way either...apart from its the one pic cropped differently...

2019-07-15 18.10.38.jpg
Tumbled & rinsed...
2019-07-15 18.10.38.jpg (325.72 KiB) Viewed 11755 times

2019-07-15 18.05.03.jpg
2019-07-15 18.05.03.jpg (295.58 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 15 Jul 2019, 6:55 pm

Did anyone else have problems with tarnishing after cleaning? My cases were coming out incredibly shiny but would tarnish very quickly. I rinse well and dry but have reverted to a light crc spray to retain most of the shine. They certainly don’t stay like Marksmans cases .
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Jul 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks Stix but i'm out of brass to clean at the moment but will give anything a try but will still get the Lemshine and give it a go as wellAlso I was told to get the ratio of brass , water and suds and media right and i'll have no problems but marksmans look bloody good it must be the bower bird in me :thumbsup:

I just had a look on ebay but its way to expensive :crazy:
I get it from my daughter who is in the states but we just got a box of gear from her and we wont get another for a while
these guys are out of stock but may get some soon https://www.2alphashootingsupplies.com. ... l-booster/
there in vic and they have it at $10 a container, it lasts forever as you only use half a teaspoon per 3 litre of water and a squirt of dishwashing detergent
we had a discussion about what to use on the forum quite a while ago and most guys were using the citric acid from the supermarket
as I said earlier I use it because that's what the manufacturer recommends with my tumbler and it works :drinks:

I should also say that after hearing guys say that hot water works better I tried and found my cases were dull after doing it so I only with cold water
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jul 2019, 8:45 pm

Yes marksman I to used hot water and my brass went dull I've only just bought the tumbler so all this is new to me a learning curve you would say and if the lemshine is expensive that won't be too bad as I probably will only do about 100 brass per year 200 at the outside so the lemshine should last forever my tumbler is a 3kg one so only small so thanks for the info i'll see if I can find some on the net thanks
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Jul 2019, 10:31 pm

Stix wrote:SO...!!
Did you little luvvy lust-birds give any thought or consideration to others who may be jealous here... ? :mrgreen:
NO...!! Clearly NOT...!!
I dont...!!
Wot Eva[/attachment]

Don’t be like that...there’s enough love in the world :-)

I usually save up my tasks and will end up doing large amounts of brass...then large amounts of priming, and so on - one step at a time x 200 of each step so I’ve gone with a 5kg tumbler if I get anywhere near Stix or MM’s results - I’ll consider it a success over the ole sonic....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 15 Jul 2019, 11:39 pm

deanp100 wrote:Did anyone else have problems with tarnishing after cleaning? My cases were coming out incredibly shiny but would tarnish very quickly. I rinse well and dry but have reverted to a light crc spray to retain most of the shine. They certainly don’t stay like Marksmans cases .

Brass is always going to tarnish if exposed to air. I read some explanation for it some time ago. So once I clean cases and run them through the Frankford Arsenal brass dryer, I stow my brass in clean clear plastic containers and often will add a desiccant pack to the container to absorb moisture.

Also folks need to watch what products they use for cleaning brass. Some have been known to leech zinc out of the brass.

Citric acid apparently has a positive effect on brass so the chemists say as long as you don't over do it. I use Lemishine will positive results.

Also watch for what water you use to rinse your brass. I use filtered water that is then distilled. A lot of the stuff in tap water like chlorine or sulfur isn't good for the brass. I use a rotary media sifter after wet tumbling to throw off the pins and excess water. Then I use a spray bottle of distilled water and keep spraying until I get everything clean or use a rinse in distilled water to clean them as well.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 15 Jul 2019, 11:45 pm

I also add a touch of Hornady case cleaning solution with the Lemishine. That works well. I wouldn't use a dish washing detergent myself. Nor do I see a need for hot water.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 11:50 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Stix wrote:SO...!!
NO...!! Clearly NOT...!!
I dont...!!
Wot Eva[/attachment]

Don’t be like that...there’s enough love in the world :-)

I usually save up my tasks and will end up doing large amounts of brass...then large amounts of priming, and so on - one step at a time x 200 of each step so I’ve gone with a 5kg tumbler if I get anywhere near Stix or MM’s results - I’ll consider it a success over the ole sonic....

Ah sorry...a poor attempt at humour i guess...I must have typed that in the wrong tone...jealosy really isnt my thing... :D
:lol: :unknown:

When i first got my wet tumbler i did the same...lots of cases at once...
But i weight sort each batch, so if i throw 200 cases in at once, ive gotts get 200 back in order... :roll: ...no thanks... :thumbsdown:

So now i try to mix up cartridges...if i can ill do a single batch of 50, of 204, 22-250 & 308 at once...
Makes it a bit easier to weight sort again.

If i dont have enough of other cases to do/only one batch, i leave them in a little longer.

Deano...how quick do yours tarnish...?

Yes mine yellow off a bit, & certainly dont stay shiny for as long as new cases do once i start handling them, but i just figure thats brass when its man handled.. :unknown:

Ill have to wet rub the opening to smooth it out so i can use cold water...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jul 2019, 1:38 am

I hear "wash n wax" type car cleaners reduces tarnishing.

I'll be giving it a try.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 7:31 am

Wouldn’t a quick and very light “squirt” of WD stop the tarnish?
I too am going to start weighing cases and batching...learning much do to, master yoda.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 Jul 2019, 12:01 pm

I dont spray them with anything, i want them dry.
I graphite the necks when i seat bullets after wet tumbling...so not keen on a wet finish on the cases...not keen on stuff sticking to the case & taking lumps of crud into the chamber.

Not sure what the answer is though... :unknown:
Maybe its just cold water...or a rinse aid... :unknown: ..or maybe we just send all our cases to marksman with self addressed post bags for return... :unknown: :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 12:02 pm

Stix wrote:I dont spray them with anything, i want them dry.
I graphite the necks when i seat bullets after wet tumbling...so not keen on a wet finish on the cases...not keen on stuff sticking to the case & taking lumps of crud into the chamber.

Not sure what the answer is though... :unknown:
Maybe its just cold water...or a rinse aid... :unknown: ..or maybe we just send all our cases to marksman with self addressed post bags for return... :unknown: :)

Farken lolz.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jul 2019, 3:56 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Wouldn’t a quick and very light “squirt” of WD stop the tarnish?
I too am going to start weighing cases and batching...learning much do to, master yoda.

I'd be wary of using oils on cleaned cases.

Oil, gunpowder and primers dont mix.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 5:21 pm

Wd = fish oil. You only need an insanely tiny tiny amount to keep tarnish at bay...less than the light coat of gun oil in your chamber. I be never tried it - cause I’ve never wet tumbled...but there must be some coating on sold brass...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Jul 2019, 5:49 pm

Well saw the best one...I think I am gonna save 150+ bucks. I already have a concrete mixer and heaps of pop rivets... gonna cut the pop rivets to smaller pieces. The concrete mixer I'll place a plastic jar with these pins and solution and brass.... and let it RIP.

Saw it on bookface.... what could possibly go wrong
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 16 Jul 2019, 6:19 pm

The first lot I did I went too strong with the acid and they came out extremely shiny and in an hour had tarnished. I then started researching and was washing with a wax car wash and mild citric acid and it was ok . They would come out clean but not pretty. Pretty cases are important. I then started cleaning for longer with a weaker solution, rinsing in running water well. Drop into a towel to pat dry and then a spray with crc or similar. I then rub them lightly in the towel again so there is no free oil and leave them to dry. They are good, but not as good as Marksman’s.
Everyone states that new factory brass is all protective coated to retain shine.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 10:15 pm

Ziad wrote:Well saw the best one...I think I am gonna save 150+ bucks. I already have a concrete mixer and heaps of pop rivets... gonna cut the pop rivets to smaller pieces. The concrete mixer I'll place a plastic jar with these pins and solution and brass.... and let it RIP.

Saw it on bookface.... what could possibly go wrong

If you knew how many times I’ve walked into my shed - stared at the concrete mixer and thought....hmmmm....then - don’t be fukn stoppid and walked away...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Jul 2019, 2:17 am

Just do it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 18 Jul 2019, 2:13 am

Bit the bullet (or the wallet) and ordered one of these things with some of their S/S pins and a bag of their MP103 compound. I couldn't go the cement mixer route outlined above (which looks attractive) because I don't have one. Nearly got one of those Chinese ebay jobbies that were half the price but didn't want to get something that I might have to worry about its durability
Attachments
tumbler.JPG
tumbler.JPG (114.33 KiB) Viewed 11836 times
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition