303-25 reloading question

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

303-25 reloading question

Post by Ats3 » 24 Jul 2018, 9:44 pm

So I'm getting into reloading with my dad and brother and I'm reloading for 303-25. I bought a second hand set of simplex dies and it's being used in a lee press.

The issue I've run into is that I'm having to put a lot of pressure on the press when sizing and I can't get the ram up to the die. I'm getting to within 0.5cm of the die, but can't seem to get much further than that. Does anyone else load for this that might have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to anneal the cases? Do dies need to be cleaned out? Is it just a part of loading these cases?

Any and all ideas are welcome
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 303-25 reloading question

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Jul 2018, 10:14 pm

OK, let's start at the beginning. You have not gone into much detail so I will ask some obvious questions first.
Are these formed 303-25 cases or 303 British that you are going to form to 303-25?
Have to confirmed that the brass is single flash hole? If so What brand is the brass?
Is it new brass that you are running through the die and if fired brass, was it fired in you rifle?
Are you full length sizing or neck sizing?
Are you using lube when sizing?

Let's start there and see how that goes.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Ats3 » 25 Jul 2018, 7:32 am

They're formed 303-25 brass, single flash hole, made by bertram brass, fired through my own rifle, I'm lubing the case, and I've only got 2 dies so I'm pretty sure it's a full length die, but I'll have to double check. Will it say on the die?
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 25 Jul 2018, 8:04 am

Take note of what Bill has said.
In addition have you set up the die so that without a case present and at full stroke the base of the die touches or nearly touches the shell holder?
Two die sets usually have a fls and seating die. The Simplex die will have FLS stamped on it.
When you eventually get around to load selection you will find there is not a lot of data around and what data there is is mostly mostly quotes either unobtainable obsolete powders or fairly fast powders that can easily get a beginner into trouble.
FYI I use 46 grains of ADI 2213 and 75 grain Hornady bullet that is a full case and a slightly compressed load.
As I use open sights at modest ranges, 100m to 200m max, I don't care what the muzzle velocity is. It works.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 25 Jul 2018, 8:38 am

Hi Ats3,
Your sizing die should have some sort of marking on it such as FL or some such. As it is a two die set I will assume it is a FL die as well. I know this is a really obvious statement but just check that they are 303-25 and not 303-22 dies. I have seen people get it wrong when in haste to get started. As it is a second hand set of dies and pretty old, I would take them apart and have a good look inside. They should be smooth and clean. You can run a q-tip or similar to rub up the inside of the dies to feel for rough spots that could be rust etc and yes they should be cleaned if they have not been used in a while. I do not know what Lee press you have but will assume it is a single stage. Raise the ram to the top of its stroke and adjust the FL die down to the shell holder. This is a start point and should give you max leverage. Just to start I would remove the depriming assembly just to rule it out of the equation. Lube your case making sure that the bottom 1/2 of the case is lubed and not just the top section. If you over do the lube you will get dents in the shoulder but a little more is better than less and you will work that out with experience. All things being equal that should size the case without pushing out the old primer. If that works then put the depriming assembly in the die and make sure only the pin is below the bottom of the die and only just enough to push out the primer and not the expander button.
This is pretty generic info so you may need to read between the lines to suit your gear so take it steady. The 303-25 is a long and solid case and if your chamber was cut with relaxed specs the brass may be a bit oversized and it does take a bit of effort to get it into a FL die but good lube is the answer.

Hope it helps. Bill
Last edited by Bills Shed on 26 Jul 2018, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Andrew1au » 25 Jul 2018, 10:48 am

I had a similar experience when I first started reloading. What case lube are you using? The tube that come with the kit is useless.
.300 Win Mag, Howa 1500 MDT ESS
.223, Remington 783
7.62x54, 1944 BRNO K98k Mauser
6.5x55, 1942 Swedish Mauser
22lr/22mag, Taurus Circut Judge (cat a in QLD :P)
.22lr, Mossberg plinkster
Plus a couple air rifles.

Cat H
9mm, Taurus PT99
Andrew1au
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Barrettmr » 25 Jul 2018, 1:23 pm

Are you sure that the simplex die not just a neck die?
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Ats3 » 25 Jul 2018, 4:10 pm

I'll get my family to check all the markings and what condition the equipment is in. All the gear is with them in Melbourne while I'm up in Bendigo, so I'll forward this onto them and see what they find and get back to you all with what they find.

Thanks for your help
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 25 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm

Might not hurt if you get your hands on a book about reloading. Strikes me you're missing some of the basic aspects of reloading. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get from reading your posts.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ats3 » 25 Jul 2018, 11:57 pm

You're not wrong there. I managed to get one by hornady, and I've been to a reloading demo night, plus having a look through the internet for information, but I seem to pick things up by doing them rather than reading about it, and I've had very little time with the equipment to work everything out
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 26 Jul 2018, 7:25 am

That's no drama. We all started somewhere. I learn like that too. Take it slow and ask lots of questions.
A pic or two of where you are up to also helps us to see your problem.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Jul 2018, 9:21 am

Ats3 mate i'm 64 now and i'm still learning things about reloading I've been doing it for many year and when you think you have
it something else crops up
Just take your time and listen and learn from all the good info you are receiving also as was said ask questions

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by gunnnie » 26 Jul 2018, 9:53 pm

No problem with that Ats3. Tactile learning is one way that you learn and I'm similar in some ways.
At least you got in and asked the questions. There's plenty of experience and knowledge on here to tap into.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition