Hornady Roo Max flat base and boat tail? Loads with AR2207

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hornady Roo Max flat base and boat tail? Loads with AR2207

Post by Cooper » 25 Jul 2018, 11:53 am

I had heard that the Hornady Roo max now are Boat tail projectiles whereas they were flat base. Not that it really makes all the much difference. The new ones I have received are boat tail. So I'm interested in seeing if they shoot any better.

I had the idea that I would use up the Roo max that I had and the AR2207 that I don't really use. So I loaded a few up at the starting charge and was pretty happy with the initial results. Seems the Roo max like Ar2207?

I will do some testing and post up results. The Sierra super Roo do shoot well in both my 223. But feel the Hornady may be a bit more explosive and perform abit better in some situations. Will try test that at also.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Hornady Roo Max flat base and boat tail? Loads with AR2

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jul 2018, 5:37 pm

The Roo Max I have are flat based, which suits me fine for accuracy under 300 m. They do better in slow twist barrels, slower than 1:12. I would not describe them as explosive compared to the Vmax or Blitz King. The fastest powder I have tried is 2206 but if 2207 works for you then that is fine. They are not the most accurate projectiles I have used but then I bought them based on price and they get the job done.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 26 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm

I've always wondered how these performed on anything other than Roos. I assume they'd knock dogs and foxes down with ease still?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 28 Jul 2018, 9:33 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3352 times

Here is a picture of the two Hornady Roo Max projectiles. When I said they might be a bit more explosive. I was comparing them to the Sierra Super Roos (game kings). Oblivious the ballistic tip Zmax, Vmax and Blitz King would be more explosive.

I still haven't shot the boat tail Roo Max yet. But I have a few loaded up ready to try.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jul 2018, 2:54 pm

A boat tail and a slight increase in BC is not going make this projectile much better at extended ranges. I have used them on foxes and goats but all under 200 metres. They work great but I mainly using them for plinking and prefer the Vmax for hunting. I bought a couple of boxes of Roo Max at the end of last year, at around 14 cents each they are pretty good value. I had not seen the boat tail style.

I thought you might be expecting to blow stuff up like a BK or Vmax would do. They are fairly frangable but not in that league.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 28 Jul 2018, 9:57 pm

I will be interested to hear how you go. I use Sierra Super Roo which are boat tail. A major advantage of the boat tail for me, is that it's easier and faster when seating the projectiles in the case. You don't have to get it nice and square, just plonk it on top and pull your lever without worry of projectile or case damage. Not something you ever hear anybody say though.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 04 Aug 2018, 10:54 am

Roo farmer wrote:I will be interested to hear how you go. I use Sierra Super Roo which are boat tail. A major advantage of the boat tail for me, is that it's easier and faster when seating the projectiles in the case. You don't have to get it nice and square, just plonk it on top and pull your lever without worry of projectile or case damage. Not something you ever hear anybody say though.

Very true, certainly saves a lot of fiddling when you're doing 50-100 rounds.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 17 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm

Hornady flat base in OSA factory ammo. Seirra game King on the right. Bigger lead tip no taper like the Hornady!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (468.3 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

So I found a packet of Factory OSA soft point ammo in my ammo box. I didn't have the box anymore. Just the sealed plastic pocket they come in. I am also certain I've only ever bought the box with the Sierra game Kings. Although I'm pretty sure they started loaded Hornady projectiles in the bulk tins at one stage.

Any I tried them in my 223 mini action. Only did 3 shot but the shoot better them my budget hunting reloads. I talking pretty much hole through hole! I pulled the other 2 factory to discover they look like a Hornady Roo max flat base with approximately 24 to 24.2gr of powder that looks similar to benchmark 8208. The projectiles were seated so you couldn't see the cannelure. So very short well under 2.200 inch. Maybe they like a jump?

So I set about replicating the load. I loaded 3 flat base Roo max at 24gr 8208 and 3 about 24.3gr 8208 and seated the bullet until the cannelure had just gone into the case.

The 24gr 8208 load shoot nearly identically to the factory stuff and the 24.3 wasn't far behind. I'll do some more tested and try the boat tail version. But looks promising. I'd sort of just assumed the a Roo max didn't shoot that good!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (468.3 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (662.35 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 3:41 pm

you've stated these work better with slow twist. might have to try some in my 222.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition