Berrys .311 copper plated 123gr in 303 British?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Berrys .311 copper plated 123gr in 303 British?

Post by Cooper » 26 Jul 2018, 11:20 am

I have loaded some of these up with 12.8gr of Trailboss. But was wondering if a reduced charge of AR2206h might work.
I think your meant to keep the copper plated projectiles under 1900 fps?

Anyway I'll see how the trail boss one shoot first I guess. Happy to hear any input. Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Berrys .311 copper plated 123gr in 303 British?

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jul 2018, 6:12 pm

Cooper wrote:I have loaded some of these up with 12.8gr of Trailboss. But was wondering if a reduced charge of AR2206h might work.
I think your meant to keep the copper plated projectiles under 1900 fps?

Anyway I'll see how the trail boss one shoot first I guess. Happy to hear any input. Thanks

Curious to see if they work for you.
They're hopeless in my No.4 and M91/30, but shoot really well in the '03-A3.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 27 Jul 2018, 5:49 pm

I suck at open sights. I need more practice! But I shot a 5 shot group at 63 metres with 4 shots just over 2 inches. The flyer which was the first shot made just over 3 inches. This is about what I do with normal full power reloads. So I'm pretty happy. The point of impact was approx 5 inches lower than my normal loads.

My testing to do. But early signs are promising. Interested to see how AR2206H goes!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2018, 7:13 pm

Cooper wrote:I suck at open sights. I need more practice! But I shot a 5 shot group at 63 metres with 4 shots just over 2 inches. The flyer which was the first shot made just over 3 inches. This is about what I do with normal full power reloads. So I'm pretty happy. The point of impact was approx 5 inches lower than my normal loads.

My testing to do. But early signs are promising. Interested to see how AR2206H goes!

I'm not great with iron sights either, but lots of practice will improve it.
What rifle are you using?
I bought a reduced aperture for my No.4Mk1* which I think helps heaps.
In the .303 on 14gn of Trailboss I was getting around 250mm 5rd groups at 50m.
In the 91-30 it was even worse, including some tumbles at 50m.
The same bullet on 15gn of TB in the '03-A3 though groups a little better than you're seeing, with a 4rd cluster in 19.5mm at 50m.
Both of my rifles start to work with .311" jacketed bullets and .313" hardcast. The Berry's .311" plated hardcast is just undersize.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 27 Jul 2018, 8:30 pm

Rifle is 1944 Lithgow. It has the bracket for rear peep sight. It's my father in laws rifle. He had had the rear sight for it. Just can't remember seeing in the last 30 years or so. Reckons he probably still has it... Somewhere

I bought one of the no drill scope mount kits. But it really didn't fit.

I'll keep practicing. Pretty sure I can only get better!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2018, 9:05 pm

Cooper wrote:Rifle is 1944 Lithgow. It has the bracket for rear peep sight. It's my father in laws rifle. He had had the rear sight for it. Just can't remember seeing in the last 30 years or so. Reckons he probably still has it... Somewhere

Sounds like a No.4 rather than a Mk3 Rifle?
I like to mount a scope just for developing loads, and have considered getting one of those no-drill mounts. If you plan to sell yours message me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 28 Jul 2018, 8:49 am

bladeracer wrote:
Cooper wrote:Rifle is 1944 Lithgow. It has the bracket for rear peep sight. It's my father in laws rifle. He had had the rear sight for it. Just can't remember seeing in the last 30 years or so. Reckons he probably still has it... Somewhere

Sounds like a No.4 rather than a Mk3 Rifle?
I like to mount a scope just for developing loads, and have considered getting one of those no-drill mounts. If you plan to sell yours message me.

The one I have is mk3 with a star. The mount I have is an Artic Fox one. Looks like they may have a new improved version for the No 4? I had the die grind the front of the mount and still couldn't get it low enough. Be alright if was shooting a 1000 yards. But it definaltely not just a bolt on mount in my case.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm

Cooper wrote:The one I have is mk3 with a star. The mount I have is an Artic Fox one. Looks like they may have a new improved version for the No 4? I had the die grind the front of the mount and still couldn't get it low enough. Be alright if was shooting a 1000 yards. But it definaltely not just a bolt on mount in my case.

I wasn't aware any of the Mark 3's came with peep sights - is it an aftermarket sight?
I haven't seen the mount you have, but I like the S&K mount that fits onto the No.4 rear sight.
Does yours just jam in between the bridges?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 29 Jul 2018, 9:18 am

It just has the bracket for a central No 4 sight. But I don't have the sight.

The scope mount I have does just jam between the bridges without drilling. Doesn't do it very well! And there is too much material on the front of the scope mount which I have started die grinding away. Still to high. I have put the mount somewhere... It will be hiding in a box somewhere. But I'll find it and post some pictures and have another go at fitting it.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition