First time reloader

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

First time reloader

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm

After trawling through the many threads in this great forum, I thought it was about time I gave this reloading caper a try. My dear old dad (83 years young) is going to show me how it's done tomorrow. I've accumulated more than 500 once fired ADI cases in .223 - and and another 120 of mixed Winchester, Fiocchi, PPU, RWS and Remington. I'll just start with the ADI cases.

I'm loading for a 24" varmint barrel 1:9. Powder is AR 2206H, CCI small rifle primers, Sierra 55grain GameKings, Lee dies and press. I've got some 'recipes' from other forum members.

Planning to start conservative (23.5gr) and work up batches of 5 rounds in .3 or .4 of a grain increments, to a max of say 25.5grs. Then I'll test on Sunday. I'm looking for an accurate round that will group well out to 200 yards, which is my self-imposed max range for hunting purposes at the moment. The Buffalo River stuff uses the GameKings and I'm getting .75MOA at 200 off a sandbag on the bench so if I can match that or better it I'll be happy. (I'm reloading for economy, for the pleasure of making my own, and to spend time with my dad).

I got supplies today from my LGS and the guy there got me thinking I might be going down a dry gully by starting too low - he said he starts .5 grain under max and works up to .5 grain over max. He had to be 70+ and hasn't blown himself up yet so is he right? The ADI tables I have don't list the Sierras but the Speer 55gr soft points are very similar.
Member-Deleted

Re: First time reloader

Post by nightforcenxs » 27 Jul 2018, 2:43 pm

just remember its all ok to look at other recipes from other forum members but the biggest rule is to start at minimum charge that ADI states on there website for your cartridge your realoading as every gun is different its better to start safe then go near a max load of someone elses even though it works in there gun it may not work in yours... now for 223 i have been reloading the sierra 55gr hpbt gamekings going 3000fps i wont state my powder charge as i dont need others hurting themselves with my load even though im still 1.5grs under max as for accuracy with ADI brass i get a inch with 5 shots at 200m off a bipod and howa flimsy stock flopping around like a fish im also using ar2208 but thats only because i want to use the same powder for the 308 so i make do hope this helps
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback Nightforcenxs. I am definitely proceeding with caution. The ADI data I have for AR2206H for the Speer equivalent starts at 25.0gr min and stops at 26.0gr max so I'm actually starting well under at 23.5gr but not "too far under" to be a problem (I think). Funnily enough the blurb that came with the Lee dies said if in doubt use the load data for the next bullet weight up with the same powder (in this case a 63gr Sierra Gameking) with AR2206H goes 23.5gr to 25.5gr.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2018, 3:12 pm

If old mate at the LGS was to be believed, I could start at 25.5 and stop at 26.5 ( a half grain over max).
Member-Deleted

Post by nightforcenxs » 27 Jul 2018, 3:15 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Thanks for the feedback Nightforcenxs. I am definitely proceeding with caution. The ADI data I have for AR2206H for the Speer equivalent starts at 25.0gr min and stops at 26.0gr max so I'm actually starting well under at 23.5gr but not "too far under" to be a problem (I think). Funnily enough the blurb that came with the Lee dies said if in doubt use the load data for the next bullet weight up with the same powder (in this case a 63gr Sierra Gameking) with AR2206H goes 23.5gr to 25.5gr.

23.5gr is low ADI does state 25gr as minimum even if you wanted to start .5gr less so 24.5gr would be ok i have found ADI data to be on the nicer side even at max load but still be carefull me and my brother have been running .5gr over max charge for the 308 155.5 palma projs and hitting 2930 fps but at this pressure and speed we get anywhere from 6 to 8 reloads out of lapua brass as it kills the primer pocket and becomes loose also a note to remember i learnt the hard way barnes full copper projs will build pressure quickly compared to a lead jacketed proj
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jul 2018, 3:32 pm

I would start at the minimum and do a ladder test. Stop as soon as you see pressure signs, look for increasing charge rates that sit on the same vertical plane. If you are using a chrono, the speed will not be increasing much while you are in this node. I would increase the charge at increments of .2 of a grain with a small case like a 223. Bigger cases you can increase by .3. If you feel the need to go over book max, then increase by .1 of a grain and be very attentive for pressure signs e.g. Sticky bolt, extractor mark on case, primer cratering.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jul 2018, 3:35 pm

Be careful if you are pushing for speed with your ADI case and then swap to another brand of brass. Case volumes may be different and you may run into pressure problems.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 27 Jul 2018, 3:58 pm

Best accuracy seldom equates to maximum velocity. Work your way up (ladder test) and be sure to watch for pressure signs.
Good luck finding the "sweet spot".
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2018, 4:43 pm

SCJ429 wrote: I would increase the charge at increments of .2 of a grain with a small case like a 223. Bigger cases you can increase by .3. If you feel the need to go over book max, then increase by .1 of a grain and be very attentive for pressure signs e.g. Sticky bolt, extractor mark on case, primer cratering.

That's a great tip, thanks. I hadn't thought about the relative small case size to increment ratio. I'll go up in .2gr

I don't want to go over book max at all and I don't particularly feel the need for speed. I want to find an accurate (sub MOA) at 200m load that is travelling fast enough to open up Gamekings on contact. If I can achieve that is there any reason to push for more velocity? Within reason, does an extra 200fps make any difference on the sort of game that a 223 can be used for, at 200m or less?
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 27 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm

That ADI info for the Speer equivalent starts at 25.0gr min and stops at 26.0gr I think is wrong as you say when you look at quite a few other bullet types around that weight and just slightly higher the min is much less and the spread in weights larger like most other listings.
As also mentioned the fastest is very rarely the most accurate. The blast starts to be more inconsistent leading to the same results. I often start at about 1 grain under. Also I often dont worry about different charge weights I concentrate more on seating depth.
The Gamekings will give you plenty of hitting ability and will expand. I really like them and use them in a few different calls and bullet weights. The bullet to bullet consistency I have measured to be better than a lot of of today's more popular brands.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2018, 11:25 pm

So things did not go exactly to plan and I ended up reloading myself. I'm sure I got it right but I had an old Lyman scale (not digital) that I'm not 100% sure is 100% accurate. I weighed every charge and they were all consistent across the different charges BUT I'm a little wary that the actual weight was heavier than indicated. Could they be overfilled? The powder appeared to come up to the bottom of the case neck. The projectile didn't compress and I could still hear the powder when I shook the round. Normal?
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 30 Jul 2018, 9:24 am

Totally depends on which calibre and what powder to give a rough estimate.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2018, 10:42 am

223 with AR2206H, in ADI brass. Reading up, I think it will be ok - apparently the powder should come to the top of the case and in some instances into the neck. None of them ended up compressed.
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2018, 5:16 pm

it's a fun thing reloading, just getting into it myself. as someone else pointed out, different brand cases have different volumes producing different preasures. bin reloading 22 hornet, with loads that shoot great in hornady brass, but produces a sticky bolt in PPU cases with the same load.( i did work up slowly to that point, in 0.2 increments ) in 6.5x55 most loads are conservative because of 120 year old mausers still getting around. the most accurate load i got was 2 grains over ADI's max. but this was in a modern rifle. be conservative and carefull and work up from minimum/ halfway to max slowly , watching for preasure signs. a new set of digital scales would be a good investment i reckon. overall seating length can have a effect on preasure too i've bin told and there's always someone knowledgable on this forum :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2018, 4:18 pm

Thanks for the assist everyone. On the weekend I got to test the 7 different loads I had made (in .2 grain increments between 23.7 grains and 24.9 grains). Seated them to the same OAL as Buffalo River GameKings.

It was a mixed bag but I found a load that works for me and returned a 14mm (.55 MOA) 5 shot group at 100. I'm going to try .1 grain either side to see if that improves things but honestly I can live with that group out of a budget hunting rifle, and they cost me $0.45c per round. :D

I might chrony them out of curiosity. Also going to see what a 20 shot group looks like
Attachments
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 07 Aug 2018, 5:45 pm

good stuff BBSS, can give ya a lot of satisfaction when ya "crack it " with the load that works. different powders can give better results as well. in my 6.5x55 i found ar2209 works well with 120 noslers, re22 is the ducks nuts for 140 weight projectiles. tried ar2205 in my 22 hornet,got average results so went to hodgsons 'lil gun and got great results. playing with overall cartridge length can have a effect as well. depending on what your hunting, ballistic tipped projectiles can increase accuracy . in my 22 hornet different primers can have a effect as well. it's a great hobby/technical challenge reloading, think i'll go do some now :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:So things did not go exactly to plan and I ended up reloading myself. I'm sure I got it right but I had an old Lyman scale (not digital) that I'm not 100% sure is 100% accurate. I weighed every charge and they were all consistent across the different charges BUT I'm a little wary that the actual weight was heavier than indicated. Could they be overfilled? The powder appeared to come up to the bottom of the case neck. The projectile didn't compress and I could still hear the powder when I shook the round. Normal?

It should be ok, chamber one and hit the loud button, you will soon see :D (it will be fine I/m sure) I have some loads in other cals that are quite a bit over the max and all is good - most reloading manuals are conservative so I'm sure the load you are looking at will be fine, :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 11:18 pm

Hi bangbang.
2206h is a pretty safe powder to load with when it comes to starting low...its the only powder adi suggest is safe for reduced loads if its a listed powder for the said round you're loading for.

So dont be worried about liw starting loads.

As for the extra 200fps velocity making a difference-yes it will make a difference for sure...!
Whether you need that difference is the question-& probably not in that cartridge for small furs up to fox n roo size.
(Just understand the energy released when a projectile hits is directly related to its velocity)

A group like that is not much good really...the rifle is rubbish, get rid of it as asap
Just so happens i dont have a crappy 223 so kick it to me...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Aug 2018, 5:05 am

s**t rifle. I'll give you $100 for it so you can buy another. :violin:

I'll just leave this here. Straight out of the adi manual.

Reduced loads 60% max 2206H.JPG
Reduced loads 60% max 2206H.JPG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition