SST Vs Amax

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

SST Vs Amax

Post by JimTom » 28 Jul 2018, 2:08 pm

G’day Gents

Just chasing peoples opinions on the better choice of either the SST or the Amax projectile.
Will be used out of a .308 for pigs as close to medium ranges.
I have read the description on the Hornady website however just seeking peoples opinions and experiences.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: SST Vs Amax

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2018, 10:43 am

at close to medium just go for the cheapest, these both will work :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Jul 2018, 12:04 pm

Thanks mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 Jul 2018, 3:02 pm

I've loaded 168 Z-Max projectiles(Supposed to be A-Max with a sickly green colour instead), and found them to be extremely accurate. I havent tried any other weights in the A-Max.

I've been using the 125 SST on grasshoppers the past month, and they are extremely accurate/predictable out to ~400 metres, and I'd reckon they would be pretty nasty on pigs.
(Annoyingly; no pigs appeared to test my theory, but the damage to the multitude of pink-misted grasshoppers gives me a fair idea..). Given most of our shooting of pigs in years past has been with a .243 running 80-87gn pills, I think 125gn in .308 is going to work really well.

About the only thing in favour of the SST is that you can get them in the 125gn weight. Just about every other weight seems to have both in roughly the same weights.
As far as how either will go for nailing hot pork in short-medium distances, I'd say you wont tell the difference.

As Marksman suggests; whatever is cheapest.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 29 Jul 2018, 6:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Gents.
Appreciate it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition