7mm rem mag projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

7mm rem mag projectiles

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Aug 2018, 8:29 am

Hi, I know this question has been asked before but I can't find it so i'll ask again
can someone point me in the direction of a good bullet for the 7mm for use out to 300m
I've had a couple of vld's blow up at close range like 120m also had eld-x do the same this called for more shots to bring the scrubbers down
I think i'll have to go to a corelokt or something in that field
I had a look at some info and it said to go lighter ,harder projectile,and go faster 3000fps or more they used 154gr at 3100fps to shoot moose
for instant or 20m drop
I need a bullet with deep penetration that will stand up to the bulls at 100m-300m
I will be thankfull for all info

Cheers Thanks :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Re: 7mm rem mag projectiles

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2018, 9:39 am

a mate of mine who's played with 7 rem mag reckons 160-175 gr nosler partitions. these were used on sambar to good effect. hope this helps GDB :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

Yeah thanks bigrich for that info mate

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm

Has anyone had anything to do with the barnes tsx projectiles ?
If so what are your thoughts on them ?
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Aug 2018, 9:15 pm

Made a decision today and ordered some 156gr oryx i''ll see how they go
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 10:35 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Made a decision today and ordered some 156gr oryx i''ll see how they go
cheers

Lookin forward to hearing/seeing the results grandad...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2018, 6:39 pm

G'day people I just shot a wild dog about one hour ago @ 208yds with 168gr VLD
Dog was hit in the mid chest area at 45 degree angle it was a clean pass through it then spun twice and proceeded to trot 150yds to the scrub
From where it was shot to where we lost it there was a good blood trail but my legs wouldn't let me follow into the rough scrub
Being a 7mm mag I would have though the 168gr would have knocked it off its feet at least also the other week I shot the scrubbers and 2 required
two or more shots to the heart lung area to stop them with the very same bullet as several exploded 1'' under the skin and the rest went about 6-10''
most likely they are the ones that stopped the scrubbers
I've lost my trust in this bullet now and will not use it again as it seems too unpredictable for me ( I know some will think bad shots but I do take care with my
shots as much as possible but all shots looked good through the glass so being a trades man i'm blaming my tools )
For dogs I might find something lighter and more fragile but known for its accuracy and hope the oryx 156gr I've just acquired will do the scrubbers and large pigs
and such
Only having the 7mm for such a short time i'm still trying to find a combination of two bullets for what I shoot so any info is good info as far as i'm concerned
and all is worth a try it's a shame because the eld-x 162gr and the vld 168gr and the eld-m 162gr all shoot .2--.5 moa but too many slow kills and one is too many
It's unethical in my eyes
So if any one has a favourite 7 mag bullet that would be good for wild dogs then I would like to hear about it so thanks in advance

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2018, 6:43 pm

This bloody computer has a mind of its own or i'm too old to use it
It jumbled my sentences up like a preschooler
Member-Deleted

Post by Mick280 » 16 Aug 2018, 6:51 pm

Try the 150 tn Nosler Ballistic Tips mate!!
You don't need anything too heavy or well constructed for shooting dogs.
The velocity that the 7mm mag would be achieving,You are probably punching straight through with bugger all expansion!!
A bit too much gun in my honest opinion.
I use 90 gn Nosler's out of my .243 and 115 gn Nosler's out of my .257 Wby on dogs and they drop on the spot.
A bit too heavy I think!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Aug 2018, 6:53 pm

Hi GB,
I have been reading about ballistic tipped solid copper projectiles lately, perhaps something like that may be what you need.
Speaking from my rank amateur status that is.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/elk-cartridge/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2018, 7:23 pm

Yeah Mick280 you're probably right mate normally I only use the 7mag on scrubbers and the 22-250 is my go to gun for dogs
The 22-250 drops them in their tracks with 55gr vmax out to my capable shooting
I only had the 7mm on me with this dog but I need a bullet for dogs in 7mag for when I get caught out without the 22-250 again
Yes it was an eye opener as the bullet did go clean through and didn't knock it down, probably left a pencil hole which proves to me they are no good for dogs unless head shot
Thanks for your post mate
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Rifle realist » 16 Aug 2018, 7:24 pm

IMG_0022.JPG
Dog shot at 200m Directly behind on the run 120Gn Ballistic tip.
IMG_0022.JPG (17.35 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Hi GB
I have a 7mmRemMag it hardly ever gets used it's a Ruger #1 I have a load using Nosler partitions 160 Gn,never used them on dogs, they work on camels.
My preferred rifle for dogs is my .260 Rem loaded with 120 Gn Nosler ballistic tips & they are destructive 1 shot kills every time.
I use 250 Gn Nosler accubonds in my .338 Win Mag for camels & mickeys they work well but just drill neat 8.3 mm holes in dogs.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2018, 7:31 pm

G'day Gaznazdiak, mate some good reading there mate that bullet sounds like a good allrounder
Mate you out rank me at the moment especially with the 7mag it's all prep school for me at the moment with it
Just hope I can find a couple of loads before I go broke or shoot the barrel out
thanks mate good read will look further into them
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Aug 2018, 7:58 pm

grandadbushy wrote:G'day Gaznazdiak, mate some good reading there mate that bullet sounds like a good allrounder
Mate you out rank me at the moment especially with the 7mag it's all prep school for me at the moment with it
Just hope I can find a couple of loads before I go broke or shoot the barrel out
thanks mate good read will look further into them
cheers

Damn, I'm as jealous as a 5yo at a rich kids birthday party reading about your target rich environment.

All I've had to shoot at for the last 12mths is rabbits and the occasional starving fox.

The drought has wiped them all off the map here, I haven't seen anything but sheep on the place for months, and I'm starting to hallucinate long ears and fluffy tails on the buggers. :lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

Hi , Rifle Realist thanks for that mate heard a lot of good things about Nosler Partitions but couldn't get them to shoot in my 25-06 when I had it
so steered away from them with the 7mag but might have to try them in 7mm
260 with 120gr ballistic tip noslers for dogs , YEP that'll do it
338 would be nice but I don't think santa is that generous
Thanks for the post mate cheers
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 18 Aug 2018, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2018, 8:56 pm

Jesus Gaznazdiak you are in a bad way, try and drink a dozen cups of herbal tea mate and try and calm the withdrawals of no shooting :lol:
Yeah its bloody dry up here to but that brings the scrubbers over the range down to us so it should liven up soon can't wait to try the oryx bullets
out on scrub bulls :thumbsup:
Also been a few wild dogs around so I might have to warm the 22-250 up and keep onto them
Don't worry mate the rains will come again and with it plenty of targets hopefully
And hope your hallucinations don't get so bad that the rabbits start firing back at you mate :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Jesus Gaznazdiak you are in a bad way, try and drink a dozen cups of herbal tea mate and try and calm the withdrawals of no shooting :lol:
Yeah its bloody dry up here to but that brings the scrubbers over the range down to us so it should liven up soon can't wait to try the oryx bullets
out on scrub bulls :thumbsup:
Also been a few wild dogs around so I might have to warm the 22-250 up and keep onto them
Don't worry mate the rains will come again and with it plenty of targets hopefully
And hope your hallucinations don't get so bad that the rabbits start firing back at you mate :lol: :lol: :drinks:

:lol: :lol: :clap: :drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 16 Aug 2018, 9:43 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah Mick280 you're probably right mate normally I only use the 7mag on scrubbers and the 22-250 is my go to gun for dogs
The 22-250 drops them in their tracks with 55gr vmax out to my capable shooting
I only had the 7mm on me with this dog but I need a bullet for dogs in 7mag for when I get caught out without the 22-250 again
Yes it was an eye opener as the bullet did go clean through and didn't knock it down, probably left a pencil hole which proves to me they are no good for dogs unless head shot
Thanks for your post mate
cheers

Cheers Mate!!
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 8:13 pm

Been playing with the 156gr oryx today set to just off the lands was getting 1''-11/2''with powder fine tuned 69gr ar2217 cci250 primer @ 100yds 8-)
Also tried some Hornady 154gr interlocks sp just off the lands was getting 1'' with powder likewise 68gr ar2217 cci250 primer @ 100yds 8-)
This I thought this was ok but could do better as the 7mm rem mag shot very well just off the lands with the berger 168 vld and 162gr eld-m and eld-x
But then I started talking to an old timer and he enlightened me to the fact that the older types and shaped bullets as the oryx and the interlock
preferred to be seated as to the requirement of each bullet the 154gr interlock was 3.290 oal but I couldn't find a seating depth for the 156 oryx
so back to the drawing board I went oryx 156gr 69gr 2217 cci250 and the 154gr interloch 68gr 2217 cci250 all at 3.290 oal took them out
lined up and bingo both loads shot 1/2 -5/8 for 3 shots each also without any scope adjustments so FINALLY my luck might be changing after all :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Will go out again tomorrow and see if I can do it again :thumbsup:
cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 8:34 pm

Got 43 168gr 7mm berger Vld projectiles if anyone is looking for some or swap :thumbsup:
cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 20 Aug 2018, 9:40 pm

I have had good luck with the interlocks myself, usually in 308 or 30-06
these are usually seated away from the lands for best performance with plenty into the neck
very good penetration with what I shoot
I dont shoot scrubbers though grandadbushy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 9:52 pm

good ta hear your having a win GDB :thumbsup: half the fun is playing with loads and projectiles, unless your being chased by a wounded ,pissed off scrub bull :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 10:15 pm

Yes marksman I've got them both away from the lands now at the recommended seating depth for the interlock and oddly enough
the oryx has equalled the response of the interlock to shoot from around 11/2'' down to 1/2'' to 5/8'' they just got better the further back I went
and there is plenty in the neck as well and also I crimped them lightly, just like the old timer said to do
This is plenty for me as it should give a reasonable group at 400yds to 500yds, more than i'll ever shoot
Well now my next move hopefully will be a scrubber although they are a little spooked at the moment after my last meeting with them
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 10:18 pm

Yeah bigrich and I know who'd come out on top then and it wouldn't be me :lol: :lol: :friends:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 10:38 pm

You talk about bulls chasing ya bigrich it brought back a memory back when I was about 17 and was cutting some breeder bulls out in a set of yards
just swapping bulls to a different herd anyway cutting these bulls and one took a disliking to me and up me from about 3yds away so I took the easy
way out and dived under the gate now this gate was made with 8''x1'' boards and10ft long I mean real heavy so dives under the gate and the bull decides he's going over it but doesn't make it and knocks it off its hinges so now i'm on the ground under the gate and the bull is on top of both of us at this stage I thought I could possibly die :shock:
When the bull had finished and gone the other ringers dragged me out from under the gate I was slightly numb for awhile but one broken rib and my ego shattered but I lived :thumbsup: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by juano86 » 21 Aug 2018, 10:22 am

Hey guys,
I'm currently running Barnes TTSX's 140gr in my 7mm rem mag and they are devastating on Chital, Goats and Pigs. little more friendly to shoot vs the heavier pills too.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Aug 2018, 10:41 am

G'day juano86 what sort of grouping are you getting with them mate
And what sort of damage do they do like do they tear them up or just a nice channel straight through
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by juano86 » 22 Aug 2018, 8:16 am

grandadbushy wrote:G'day juano86 what sort of grouping are you getting with them mate
And what sort of damage do they do like do they tear them up or just a nice channel straight through
cheers

can generally get them all touching at 100yrds well and truly inside moa.
The projectiles hold together really well, not too much meat damage, they almost always exit neatly. A friend of mine sat two red spikers on the spot using these 140gr TTSX's in his 7mm-08 with similar results too. I wouldn't hesitate to use these on Sambar either! 140gr is perfect.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Aug 2018, 11:53 am

Thanks for that mate and getting back to me :thumbsup:
They sound like they shoot well also :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2018, 10:07 pm

Well Marksman I had a chance to try those Hornady interlocks the other day and they kill all but instant if I do my part
Shot a couple of ferals and the damage was spectacular instant knock down for both and only one bullet needed
Haven't tried the oryx as yet but I've pulled all the 168vld ,162 eld-m and 162gr eld-x and threw them in a box so now i'll only use the
154gr interlock and the 156gr oryx if it kills like the interlocks if not i'll only use the interlocks
Finally getting some headway
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition