7mm rem mag projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 7mm rem mag projectiles

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 8:13 pm

Been playing with the 156gr oryx today set to just off the lands was getting 1''-11/2''with powder fine tuned 69gr ar2217 cci250 primer @ 100yds 8-)
Also tried some Hornady 154gr interlocks sp just off the lands was getting 1'' with powder likewise 68gr ar2217 cci250 primer @ 100yds 8-)
This I thought this was ok but could do better as the 7mm rem mag shot very well just off the lands with the berger 168 vld and 162gr eld-m and eld-x
But then I started talking to an old timer and he enlightened me to the fact that the older types and shaped bullets as the oryx and the interlock
preferred to be seated as to the requirement of each bullet the 154gr interlock was 3.290 oal but I couldn't find a seating depth for the 156 oryx
so back to the drawing board I went oryx 156gr 69gr 2217 cci250 and the 154gr interloch 68gr 2217 cci250 all at 3.290 oal took them out
lined up and bingo both loads shot 1/2 -5/8 for 3 shots each also without any scope adjustments so FINALLY my luck might be changing after all :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Will go out again tomorrow and see if I can do it again :thumbsup:
cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 8:34 pm

Got 43 168gr 7mm berger Vld projectiles if anyone is looking for some or swap :thumbsup:
cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 20 Aug 2018, 9:40 pm

I have had good luck with the interlocks myself, usually in 308 or 30-06
these are usually seated away from the lands for best performance with plenty into the neck
very good penetration with what I shoot
I dont shoot scrubbers though grandadbushy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 9:52 pm

good ta hear your having a win GDB :thumbsup: half the fun is playing with loads and projectiles, unless your being chased by a wounded ,pissed off scrub bull :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 10:15 pm

Yes marksman I've got them both away from the lands now at the recommended seating depth for the interlock and oddly enough
the oryx has equalled the response of the interlock to shoot from around 11/2'' down to 1/2'' to 5/8'' they just got better the further back I went
and there is plenty in the neck as well and also I crimped them lightly, just like the old timer said to do
This is plenty for me as it should give a reasonable group at 400yds to 500yds, more than i'll ever shoot
Well now my next move hopefully will be a scrubber although they are a little spooked at the moment after my last meeting with them
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 10:18 pm

Yeah bigrich and I know who'd come out on top then and it wouldn't be me :lol: :lol: :friends:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Aug 2018, 10:38 pm

You talk about bulls chasing ya bigrich it brought back a memory back when I was about 17 and was cutting some breeder bulls out in a set of yards
just swapping bulls to a different herd anyway cutting these bulls and one took a disliking to me and up me from about 3yds away so I took the easy
way out and dived under the gate now this gate was made with 8''x1'' boards and10ft long I mean real heavy so dives under the gate and the bull decides he's going over it but doesn't make it and knocks it off its hinges so now i'm on the ground under the gate and the bull is on top of both of us at this stage I thought I could possibly die :shock:
When the bull had finished and gone the other ringers dragged me out from under the gate I was slightly numb for awhile but one broken rib and my ego shattered but I lived :thumbsup: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by juano86 » 21 Aug 2018, 10:22 am

Hey guys,
I'm currently running Barnes TTSX's 140gr in my 7mm rem mag and they are devastating on Chital, Goats and Pigs. little more friendly to shoot vs the heavier pills too.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Aug 2018, 10:41 am

G'day juano86 what sort of grouping are you getting with them mate
And what sort of damage do they do like do they tear them up or just a nice channel straight through
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by juano86 » 22 Aug 2018, 8:16 am

grandadbushy wrote:G'day juano86 what sort of grouping are you getting with them mate
And what sort of damage do they do like do they tear them up or just a nice channel straight through
cheers

can generally get them all touching at 100yrds well and truly inside moa.
The projectiles hold together really well, not too much meat damage, they almost always exit neatly. A friend of mine sat two red spikers on the spot using these 140gr TTSX's in his 7mm-08 with similar results too. I wouldn't hesitate to use these on Sambar either! 140gr is perfect.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Aug 2018, 11:53 am

Thanks for that mate and getting back to me :thumbsup:
They sound like they shoot well also :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2018, 10:07 pm

Well Marksman I had a chance to try those Hornady interlocks the other day and they kill all but instant if I do my part
Shot a couple of ferals and the damage was spectacular instant knock down for both and only one bullet needed
Haven't tried the oryx as yet but I've pulled all the 168vld ,162 eld-m and 162gr eld-x and threw them in a box so now i'll only use the
154gr interlock and the 156gr oryx if it kills like the interlocks if not i'll only use the interlocks
Finally getting some headway
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 24 Aug 2018, 8:55 am

very good to hear grandadbushy
I thought they would be the right stuff, thinking about it they have always been an instant knockdown for me as well
I have always been a big fan of the interlocks
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition