Hornaby press help

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hornaby press help

Post by Chief2744 » 17 Aug 2018, 9:07 am

Hi
Looking for any advice/opinions/what works best etc on which single stage press to buy, I am looking at either the iron press or the classic press. Not interested at this stage in any progressive presses. I will only be reloading 9mm and maybe 303 n the future.
Thanks in advance.
Chief2744
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hornaby press help

Post by marksman » 17 Aug 2018, 9:47 am

in all honesty I believe the lee classic cast press to be the one I own and would recommend in single stage presses
leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html
they are made from old train tracks so you know the metal is good and I have not been able to break or wear this one out in probably 15 years of use
I reload from 17 ackley hornet to 375 H&H
go into a gun store and compare the rattle in the rams of the different presses and you will see this one is very tight compared to even the much more expensive ones
my choice anyway :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 3:34 pm

i have the hornady 'LOCK'NLOAD" press, dies and gear and reckon hornady stuff is good qaulity and very reasonably priced for what it is. bought the case trimmer a couple of weeks ago and found it very easy to cosistantly trim cases to size . five star rating from me :thumbsup: any questions don't hesitate to ask :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Chief2744 » 17 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm

bigrich wrote:i have the hornady 'LOCK'NLOAD" press, dies and gear and reckon hornady stuff is good qaulity and very reasonably priced for what it is. bought the case trimmer a couple of weeks ago and found it very easy to cosistantly trim cases to size . five star rating from me :thumbsup: any questions don't hesitate to ask :thumbsup:

Can I ask do you have the classic or the iron press. Cost wise I'm leaning towards the classic press. Cheers
Chief2744
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

yeh cheif i got the classic. the dies are in a "socket" that clips in to the press housing. once i've got my neck and seating dies set where i want them, i just tighten the locking ring and that's it. takes a second to change dies in the press housing. hornady overall case gauge is a very handy bit of gear to determine bullet seating length. i bought the classic kit for $679. has everything except dies to get started. i bought a "lee" kit of powder measure "dippers" and measure and weigh all my loads individually at the moment cause i'm still in the experimental stage of working up loads. bin doing 22 hornet, 6.5x55 and just started on 222. the old 222 deserves it's reputation as it's incredibly easy to get silly good accuracy . 223 ? what 223 ? :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Chief2744 » 17 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

Thanks for the ino bigrich its good to get different people's perspective.
Chief2744
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 8:33 pm

no worries cheif . anytime :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by junjun » 17 Aug 2018, 8:54 pm

I have the Iron press. I really enjoy the auto prime function. I reload 9mm too, I know, takes too long on single stage. With the auto prime function, I can cut down one less movement when priming. I bought the Iron press kit, it was on sale, so I enjoy it. One thing is I had old primers dropped into the tube and got stuck, when I undid it, I broke a couple parts. Emailed Hornady in the US, got my parts for free. Yes, I recommend it.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 17 Aug 2018, 9:06 pm

Hornady lock and load for me,,223,30/30 and 308 quick change dies are a blessing :thumbsup: but get rid of the scales,they are ****** :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Aug 2018, 10:28 pm

tom604 wrote:Hornady lock and load for me,,223,30/30 and 308 quick change dies are a blessing :thumbsup: but get rid of the scales,they are ****** :thumbsdown:

which scales did you get tom ? i got digitals with my kit :unknown: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 17 Aug 2018, 11:28 pm

the little square one, upgraded to a lyman digital . the one that came with the kit was a pain, wouldn't hold zero, had to tap to get it to register when i was trickling up, chased my bum trying to get a load :thumbsdown: two good then a flyer ,three good then one up next one down :evil: drove me crazy :oops:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Aug 2018, 7:12 am

tom604 wrote:the little square one, upgraded to a lyman digital . the one that came with the kit was a pain, wouldn't hold zero, had to tap to get it to register when i was trickling up, chased my bum trying to get a load :thumbsdown: two good then a flyer ,three good then one up next one down :evil: drove me crazy :oops:

still got mine, works good. zero can creep occasionly. i look at the weight reading after i lift the little pan off, if it aint right i just turn it off/on again and it's right. more i use it , the less this happens. i have thought about getting a better qaulity digital scale but. how do you find the lyman and what's it's model number ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 18 Aug 2018, 11:06 am

If i was starting again I'd get the a lee turret with auto indexing. Take the index pin out for rifle, get extra plates for your dies so they are always set up and put the pin in for pistol, just add a powder thrower
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tom604 » 18 Aug 2018, 12:56 pm

bigrich wrote:
tom604 wrote:the little square one, upgraded to a lyman digital . the one that came with the kit was a pain, wouldn't hold zero, had to tap to get it to register when i was trickling up, chased my bum trying to get a load :thumbsdown: two good then a flyer ,three good then one up next one down :evil: drove me crazy :oops:

still got mine, works good. zero can creep occasionly. i look at the weight reading after i lift the little pan off, if it aint right i just turn it off/on again and it's right. more i use it , the less this happens. i have thought about getting a better qaulity digital scale but. how do you find the lyman and what's it's model number ? :thumbsup:

gen 6, works like a dream,no creep and its quick :thumbsup: i have found that it throws .1 over but at least it's consistent and i just set it .1 less,,i haven't tried putting a smaller/longer tube on,that may fix it but as its consistent i haven't bothered :unknown: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition