Nosler 130gr rdf 6.5 creedence clear water

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Nosler 130gr rdf 6.5 creedence clear water

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

The G1 bc figures is a bit of smoke and mirrors when G7 model more closely represents modern bullet designs. We as consumers like the big bc numbers so that is what they supply and then some. I am sure Nosler could explain the conditions under which they tested their projectile to arrive at the advertised bc figure. Good work researching this issue and bringing it to our attention. I do like Bryan Linz but understand he is not completely unbiased.

When you used the G1 bc figure in your ballistic table did the resulting drop figures replicate the bullet drop you experienced at the range?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Nosler 130gr rdf 6.5 creedence clear water

Post by Flyer » 25 Aug 2018, 9:43 pm

That I couldn't answer for the simple reason I tried various test loads and couldn't get a decent group, so didn't persist with the 70gr RDFs. So I never chronoed them nor even got to the stage of zeroing and consistent load.

Yes, Bryan Litz works for Berger - and that is mentioned in the scientific article I posted, which is why they independently tested the projectiles and then posted their results against Litz and the manufacturers claims. I guess the most interesting thing about the results was that, on average, most projectile BCs are overestimated. However some are underestimated.

I also take onboard that G7 is a better reflection of BC for VLD type bullets, as that's the shaped G7 calculations are based on. I just thought it was interesting that some companies obviously use claimed BC figures as a marketing tool, so aren't always reliable.

I guess the moral of the story is, use the projectile that works best in your rifle for your application.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Reloading ammunition