223 grouping problems

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

223 grouping problems

Post by Simonh12 » 12 Jan 2014, 1:09 pm

I can't get my 223 to shoot with my normal hand loads. Only thing I have changed was move from nsw to qld can anybody help
Simonh12
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 223 grouping problems

Post by petemacsydney » 12 Jan 2014, 1:34 pm

I think the earths rotation is different in the banana state..

Solution... move back south....
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 12 Jan 2014, 1:55 pm

Simonh12 wrote:I can't get my 223 to shoot with my normal hand loads. Only thing I have changed was move from nsw to qld can anybody help

Any chance of damage to your rifle in transit? Also change in climate could cause problems. Maybe try slightly less powder and see if they group again
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jan 2014, 5:12 pm

A knock in transports a possibility.

Knock to your scope?

Loose scope mount?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 12 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm

Start with the basics. Loose scope mounts, loose action screws. If that fails try a different scope. If that fails buy a box of factory ammo, check the group. After that it is the rifle. Let us know how you go.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blackened » 13 Jan 2014, 7:52 am

How many groups did you try before you decided the ammo was no good?

A few light/heavy charges could be mixed in the batch which are changing velocities and grouping. If stumbled across a few it could be something as simple as that.

Otherwise if your stock and action all look to be in good shape after the move, I would suspect a scope issue as well.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 13 Jan 2014, 10:16 am

Did you transport it yourself or was it shipped as freight with whoever?
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 13 Jan 2014, 11:04 am

Check all the usual suspects first, but it may be simething as simple as all your ammo has been vibrating away during the trip and settled the powder in the cases making it burn at a different rate.

It's not unusual for a hand load that performed well at home to slide out of the node when taken out of town particularly if large changes in altitude or environment take place.

If you have some good data on the load run it over the chrony, you might find the new environment has dropped 5-10fps of the node or even gained velocity

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Simonh12 » 13 Jan 2014, 5:14 pm

Hi guys.

Rifle was with me through transit. I Brought loads with me but didn't seem to group just sprayed them. Going from 5 under and inch to a closed fist. Scope mounts are right rifle is solid in stock. It's extremely clean too.

Yesterday I shot 8 shots at 25.3 gr of 2206H. Behind a hornady vmax in 50 gr. they grouped with in 2 inches. Was better than the 26 gr I used down in NSW.

Thinking maybe the heat has a factor. Could 26 be to hot here? I've seen temperatures are above 36 degrees. One thing I'm worried about is they say 25 is minimum load for 223. Can anyone answer if I can go lower. Seems less powder is bringing them tighter but how low is safe thanks heaps.
Simonh12
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm

I was running 24.5 of 2206 under a 52 gr match king. It was a tack driver. I do not shoot a 223 any more and can not comment on the 2206H.

I am sure some one on this site will have the info. Good to see you are heading in the right direction in regards to group size.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by reddog » 13 Jan 2014, 7:13 pm

With 50 and 55 gn projectiles 25gns of AR2206H is the minimum charge in Nick Harveys latest manual but he lists 23.5 gns with a 60gn so you should be right with that, I don't think the 223 is big enough to get SEE anyhow.

Probably plenty of people loading down to 22 Hornet velocities with it anyhow what do they use?
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Vati » 13 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm

Simonh12 wrote:Seems less powder is bringing them tighter but how low is safe thanks heaps.

You can always go the other way. Stay within safe limits but increase the powder charge until the group tightens up.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2014, 6:32 am

I don't hand load or stuff around with any of that, but doesn't the humidity clump up powder a bit more. It would be a lot more humid up there than down here at the moment.
Member-Deleted

Return to Reloading ammunition