Satisfaction/Relief is...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Satisfaction/Relief is...

Post by Rod_outbak » 31 Aug 2018, 11:01 am

Knowing that after nearly a month of being too damned busy, you've now got your priorities sorted...

50 new loads of 125Gn SST's just completed for the .308, and awaiting this evenings sunset grasshopper-pokk.
Another 50 cases prepped and ready to load tomorrow morning.
Another 50 cases drying, another 50 7mm-08 cases drying as well, and another 100 .308 cases in the tumbler as I type.

I've had to use the venerable Krico .243 the past 3 weeks, and while it's earned it's keep yet again, I have greatly missed the Ruger Precision Rifle, and also the havoc these projectile wreak on your average grasshopper/porkey/etc.
Especially those grasshoppers who are under the impression that 250+ metres is plenty far enough to be safe...

I must admit, I wasnt sure how much I'd like the RPR, but I've found the more I use it, the more I prefer it over my other rifles.

Now that I have my new press set up in the living room, the stockpile of prepped brass is already starting to mount...
[attachment=0]20180831_103847 (2).JPG[/attachment]

Happy days...

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
20180831_103847 (2).JPG
20180831_103847 (2).JPG (486.26 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Satisfaction/Relief is...

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Aug 2018, 2:10 pm

Nice.... I am surprised you got so many grasshoppers...I some you just leave thre bodies... doesn't it get smelly though
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Aug 2018, 2:54 pm

Your press is in the living room? I bet your Mrs loves that. I am out I a unheated shed. Just doesn't seem fair.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 31 Aug 2018, 3:15 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Your press is in the living room? I bet your Mrs loves that. I am out I a unheated shed. Just doesn't seem fair.

I used to bring my press out and G-clamp it to the kitchen table. I'm setup in the spare room at the moment. Every now and then the wife threatens to boot me to the spare room. Then she realizes it wouldn't exactly be a punishment. I'd be quite happy sleeping in my reloading room.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 31 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there's no Missus to get fretty about it..
[She's been awfully quiet if there is one!]

Ziad, I tend to drag any close ones away down near our rubbish dump to my grasshopper pile, but the majority I'm pokking are over 250 metres from the house, so we dont really notice the smell before the carcass has been eaten. The local hawk guild reckon I'm some sort of 'Meals on legs' agent...
However, the bones from the past 5 years of this crap, are getting quite numerous!
[Still LOTS more grasshoppers coming out of the creeks each night...sigh. Bastard animals are in plague proportions, and STILL breeding like crazy, when it's the worst drought in known history.]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Aug 2018, 6:55 pm

Lol about the hawks...re the bones I suppose need a cultivator or mulched.... or get a few local scouts to come collect and leave them piled up at tiny abbot front driveway
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 31 Aug 2018, 7:23 pm

Satisfaction/relief is....

Finally getting your goddamn double rifle regulated but only after firing of over half a box of woodleigh weldcores.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Aug 2018, 7:57 pm

Ziad wrote:Lol about the hawks...re the bones I suppose need a cultivator or mulched.... or get a few local scouts to come collect and leave them piled up at tiny abbot front driveway

hahahahaha luvvitt :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm

Actually i had one of those moments....for me satisfaction today was looking at all the lollies I had made myself to go shoot at the range.... about 150 of them. Heaps and heaps of load dev.... so it will be like a 7hr foreplay session..... hopefully with 3 or 4 happy times in the middle and I will be a very happy man.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 31 Aug 2018, 11:33 pm

Hey Rod...
A forster in the living room eh...?!

Well you better clear a room...

Lets say...a month...give or take~...

Im movin in...!!!
...NO...you DONT have a choice...! :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Sep 2018, 5:47 am

Stix,

Yep; still got another Forster set up in the proper gunroom, which is another building slightly away from the house.
I was getting annoyed with how I waste many nights, when a press handy would give me gainfull employment...

Day 3 of the experiment, and I'm wondering why I didnt do this 5 years ago...

Sigh...I'll clean out a spare bedroom...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 01 Sep 2018, 2:14 pm

I know not everyone is going to agree with this but . . . it's kind of telling that kangaroos can continue to breed and thrive in such conditions (that they're evolved to) while we persist in trying to raise cattle and sheep in an ever-drying climate. I know the sheep provide wool and they're certainly tasty little buggers, but kangaroo is such a good source of meat - and far more productive than sheep and cattle will ever be in this land - that it seems such a waste we don't eat more of it. Or try exporting it. The Chinese would love it. Hell, same goes for camel meat. Logistically there is the economics of hunting/shooting vs farming but . . . just an idea.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Sep 2018, 3:43 pm

Firstly, you can thank the greens and tree-huggers for the failure to take advantage of macropods. The roo-harvesting quotas are set, based upon the roo count taken annually. The fact that the quotas are so low in comparison to the actual roo populations, seems to fall on deaf ears.

Secondly, the decision some years back to prevent harvesting of does, has resulted in a larger proportion of breeding females, which has again allowed roo populations to skyrocket quickly. You only need one buck to keep a few dozen does preggers...

HOWEVER, the issue at present ISNT the roo quota, as there are very few years in the past 5, where roo-shooters have been actually able to harvest sufficient numbers of above-weight bucks to meet the anual quotas anyway. We have kangaroos breeding like crazy, when most other forms of wildlife arent breeding; keeping in tune with the drought conditions that we have been facing for nearly 7 years now.
We have a theory that the 3 larger species of macropods have evolved to assume that water availability means there will be grass to eat.
So they keep breeding.
This would make sense in the drier parts of this country, as they used to chase the storms to survive.
When this country was settled, it was dry 90% of the year.
NOW, we have a water trough available in every paddock; 365 days.
I spent most of my life; under the impression that the kangaroo was a 'smart-breeder', and very much in tune with the environment. I even recall people from universities in the 1980's, suggesting that roos could suspend a pregnancy, and re-start it when needed.
Yeaaaahhhhh....That would be a load of horse-poop.
As far as we can see, the does are simply pregnant all the time. If you look at how small a joey is when born, the fetus would struggle to be 0.1% of the body mass of the mother. Compare that to a human baby, which is a MUCH higher investment in the mothers resources.
SOP for a doe is to dump the joey, when things get tough.
As far as being in tune with the environment, we have plenty of signs that show this to be another fallacy.
Not sure how you think they are 'thriving'. The vast majority of them are half-starved, but they dont seem to be able to stop breeding.

And finally; I was talking about grasshoppers. Not sure why we started talking about kangaroos. COMPLETELY different..............
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 01 Sep 2018, 3:54 pm

Flyer wrote:I know not everyone is going to agree with this but . . . it's kind of telling that kangaroos can continue to breed and thrive in such conditions (that they're evolved to) while we persist in trying to raise cattle and sheep in an ever-drying climate. I know the sheep provide wool and they're certainly tasty little buggers, but kangaroo is such a good source of meat - and far more productive than sheep and cattle will ever be in this land - that it seems such a waste we don't eat more of it. Or try exporting it. The Chinese would love it. Hell, same goes for camel meat. Logistically there is the economics of hunting/shooting vs farming but . . . just an idea.

I for one totally agree that we should harvest the roo
when I do work for a pro culling roo's they are buried at the tip before it opens so nobody knows
they are weighed individually when put down and the trailer is weighed at the tip to make sure the weights are the same
not aloud to keep any of it, when I cull roo's from farmers tags I feed the local pensioners with the legs
they love it and it makes there budget stretch further :thumbsup:

by the way Rod its good to see you have your priority's sorted out :drinks:
maybe I will to if I get rid of the wife :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 01 Sep 2018, 5:48 pm

Apologies - I thought "grasshoppers" referred to roos. My bad :oops: I just mean they can survive with less water than other animals due to low fat content and are a very high source of protein. And they taste good, too.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Stix » 01 Sep 2018, 6:08 pm

Flyer wrote:Apologies - I thought "grasshoppers" referred to roos. My bad :oops: I just mean they can survive with less water than other animals due to low fat content and are a very high source of protein. And they taste good, too.

Dont be embarrassed mate.

I assumed you meant Roos when talking about grasshoppers too Rod...!

So what do you mean Rod...rabbits...wallabies...wandering gypsies ...stoned free-love hippies...grey nomads...skip jacks...?
Or do you shoot mice & locusts...? :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Sep 2018, 6:10 pm

He used a 100x scope to shoot locusts and grasshoppers from a 30 cal bullet
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 01 Sep 2018, 6:51 pm

Well in my defence, I had a look at what was on the reloading bench and never equated .308 to rabbits!
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Reloading ammunition