Reloading with Magnum Small Rifle Primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading with Magnum Small Rifle Primers

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 2:22 pm

G’day Fellas

I have Lapua SRP brass to reload my 6.5CM.
Just wondering if anyone uses Magnum small rifle primers tp reload this and .308 Palma or just standard small rifle primers.
Bloke in the local suggested Magnum SRP for it. Just unable to find any info on this topic so thought I’d ask the brains trust.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Reloading with Magnum Small Rifle Primers

Post by Ten » 02 Sep 2018, 2:29 pm

I use CCI 450 Magnum in the 6mmBR. I read somewhere that the standard deviation was a bit less using the 450 as opposed to the BR primer. I have no complaints!
David.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 02 Sep 2018, 2:54 pm

No dont use them it is much more than is needed to ignite the powder column in this case. I use the BR4 bought for the 308 Palma comp rounds but use them in all my SR primer all non magnum cartridges. If you do use them you will get much higher SD and ES than the normal primers. Also probably higher pressures as the powder will burn faster.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 3:01 pm

Thanks gents. Not a lot of info around on this subject. Especially as far as loading data goes. I have both Magnum and Standard SRP so will see what the consensus seems to be.
Appreciate the input. Cheers.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 3:22 pm

I also use 450s in my 6mmBR, it gives me lower SD over the BR4. I have also had good results with 450s in a 223, only slightly edged out by BR4s. I wouldn't hesitate to do some load testing with 450s in a Creedmoor. You should compare them against BR4s. I wouldn't waste any time with loads using 400s, the Creedmoor is a high intensity cartridge and the softer cup is not suited to the high pressures that it produces.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 03 Sep 2018, 2:37 am

BR4s. I've loaded up to book maximums with 123 and 143 projectiles and all my primers look the same after firing - which is round (no pressure signs at all). I think the 450 and BR4 primers both have 0.025" thick cups compared to .020" for the CCI 400s.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Cooper » 03 Sep 2018, 11:01 am

I just use standard s&b (Sellior and Bellot) small rifle primers in my 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass loads.

I tried the CCI 450 with my accurate load for 143 Eld-x and got worse SD and ES and accuracy. Changing nothing else except the primer.

This is not to say that that a different load recipe might deliver different results.

I actually got slightly higher velocity using standard primers with the same load. The standard primers showed createring way before the CCI 450 primer did. I could go another full 2gr of powder before I got similar createring on the CCI 450 as they have thicker cups.
Last edited by Cooper on 03 Sep 2018, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 1:35 pm

Thanks mate. I have a few Federal standard SRP tjat I have inherited from the old fella so I think I shall start with them and see how I go.
Will try Magnum once I have worked up a load.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition