Starting to reload shopping list

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Starting to reload shopping list

Post by 2freeq » 02 Sep 2018, 4:54 pm

Hi all,

As the title indicates i'm weighing up wether to learn how to reload. I would be starting with .223.

If i was to buy this LEE reloading package,

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... -press-kit

What else do i need equipment wise?, The ad doesnt state exactly whats in the package.
Do i need a tumbler?
Reamers and deburrs?

Better still is there a "shopping check list" i can copy as a basic start up pack?

Cheers
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Starting to reload shopping list

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Sep 2018, 5:11 pm

310tool.jpg
310tool.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
G'day 2freeq,
The Lee kit has everything you need for basic reloading, including a deburring tool. You don't need reamers of any sort for basic reloading, nor do you need a tumbler unless you are doing a large number of cases (100+). 2 packets of brass can be cleaned quickly and easily by hand watching telly of an evening. I started reloading with a Lyman 310 tool, no chamfer tool or scales or anything else and made good hunting ammo in 303, 8mm and 30/30 for several years until I bought my first press. the Lee kit will get you away much better than that and you can "grow" later on. You will need dies though, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 02 Sep 2018, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the reply mate. Looks like this kit might be the go then. I'll keep researching
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 6:18 pm

Beside what is in the kit, and as said you don't need a tumbler, but get some fine steel wool and clean the necks of the cases with it. Leave the carbon on the inside of the neck as this aids a consistant bullet release. Also find yourself a spade type screw driver the fits inside the primer pocket. Use this to clean out the ash from the primer. I use Ballistol as case lube for smaller cases, Lee case lube is also good but I find it a little thick. Have a go, reloading is very rewarding. The more you do the better you get.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
310tool.jpg
G'day 2freeq,
The Lee kit has everything you need for basic reloading, including a deburring tool. You don't need reamers of any sort for basic reloading, nor do you need a tumbler unless you are doing a large number of cases (100+). 2 packets of brass can be cleaned quickly and easily by hand watching telly of an evening. I started reloading with a Lyman 310 tool, no chamfer tool or scales or anything else and made good hunting ammo in 303, 8mm and 30/30 for several years until I bought my first press. the Lee kit will get you away much better than that and you can "grow" later on. You will need dies though, Cheers.

+1.
And all you need to get stared are the RGB lee dies. Great value at about $40

Just go for it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 02 Sep 2018, 7:22 pm

Will follow this thread bought the same press a couple of months ago and have it still sitting in the box waiting on the weather to warm up before setting it up
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2018, 7:36 pm

get an rcbs 505 scales, the lee ones are ******
lee collet dies, vernier caliper, case trimmer (lyman are good and cheap)
and a good reloading manual, IMHO hornady is the bible
that will do to start :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2018, 7:47 pm

2freeq wrote:Hi all,

As the title indicates i'm weighing up wether to learn how to reload. I would be starting with .223.

If i was to buy this LEE reloading package,

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... -press-kit

What else do i need equipment wise?, The ad doesnt state exactly whats in the package.
Do i need a tumbler?
Reamers and deburrs?

Better still is there a "shopping check list" i can copy as a basic start up pack?

Cheers

I bought the same kit, but I don't like the press-mounted priming system.
I would recommend the kit that includes the hand-primer instead.
And the Lee Ultimate .223 Collet Neck Die set.
Get the .223 Lee Quick-Trim die as well.
You will want a dial or digital caliper for checking case length.
The kit comes with a pocket cleaner and chamfer tool. But if you get one of the better ones you can put it in the drill press to really speed up chamfering the mouth and pocket.
An impact hammer is useful for when you seat a bullet too deep, just tap it back out a little and re-seat it correctly.
I love the scale pan/funnel combo but they don't really work on beam scales.
The Lyman Bleacher Loading blocks are excellent, and cheap. You can stack them up and work down from the top when loading large batches but keeping a small footprint on your desk. https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=bleacher+loading&_sop=15

If you don't throw your brass about to get it filthy you won't need to clean it.
Attachments
Chamfer tool.JPG
Chamfer tool.JPG (85.23 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
Lee Kit.JPG
Lee Kit.JPG (174.3 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 8:04 pm

If you get the Lee collet dies, which are excellent, be gentle and do a search online regarding how to set them up. Ham fisted operators invariably have issues with these dies. Once you work them out they can produce some very straight and accurate ammo.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

SCJ429 wrote:If you get the Lee collet dies, which are excellent, be gentle and do a search online regarding how to set them up. Ham fisted operators invariably have issues with these dies. Once you work them out they can produce some very straight and accurate ammo.

+1 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Sep 2018, 8:57 pm

Ok gimme a second I'll post up some stuff with part numbers you will need mate. Info gathered from here and my research when looking

The kit you looking at 90050 comes with most things needed but is missing a few things. You will need some quick change bushings these allow easy swap of dies #90600 or look at other brands that make better ones.
It comes with the quick trim to trim and chamber the brass, but you will need caliber specific die, for 223 it's #90179.
You will also need dies specific to your caliber. You can get them individually or in a RGB kit with 2 dies, the 3 die kit or my preference the delux kit #90694 this one comes with the collet neck size die which the other two don't come with. Full length die, bullet seat die and crimp die. 90% off the time ppl only neck size. And apparently 90% of the people don't use the crimp die

I personally find the lee scale is cumbersome to use but it's as accurate as any digital can be once you grasp how it works.. infact it will be 100% repeatable and never jump or move. So in a way better but slower. There is a pin you can use to lock the weight makes your life easier. Also ensure the left arm of the scale is in the middle of the frame.

The kit comes with a primer pocket cleaner you can use its reasonably ok. The chamber and debur tool is... s**t. Get a LE Wilson one which is the same as the hornady above and rcbs one... but even though L E Wilson make them for the others i found LE one to be the cheapest. Definitely get a kinetic hammer as you will make the odd mistake and want to pull the projectile and start again. Lastly get a loading block makes life easier and the ones in shop are cheaper than the 3d printed ones.

Regarding cleaning can use steel wool, a wet SS pin tumbler, a dry walnut media tumbler or a ultrasonic one. Upto u, I got the ultrasonic one reasonably good at cleaning one you get the mix right... some ppl like the brass to look super shiny and they keep telling me I need to get a wet tumbler.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gsauce224 » 02 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

Okay so this is my first post here after lurking for quite a while, reading a lot of the threads and whatnot. I recently got into reloading for my 22-250 (like maybe just over a month ago), this is what I bought as a result of months of looking into what I needed and if I was being excessive or not.

Press/Kit - Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit ~$250 (this is great, comes with everything you need to get started, including hand priming tool)
Reloading manual - Lee Precision Modern Reloading 2nd Edition $50 (This is a must, can be any reloading manual just make sure you get one, its a great resource, I read this before even attempting to reload)
Dies - Lee Ultimate Die set ~$85 (I got this mainly because I wanted the collet neck die, on its own its around another $60+)
MTM Loading Block - $15
Craftright digital calipers - $30 (crucial component to reloading)
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool - $50 this beats the case prep tools that come with the Lee kit, but they arent necessary, I used the ones in the kit before buying this, it just becomes a pain on the fingers if doing 50+ cases.
Case length gauge and shell holder - $15 (this is great for trimming when combined with the cutter and lock stud in the reloading kit, very consistent)

Thats pretty much it for the hardware side of things that wont need replacing anytime soon (or ever), unless of course you want to speed things up with digital scales, auto powder throwers etc. But thats too hectic for me.

On top of all of this you'll need to decide on powders, primers and projectiles, and of course brass. So far I havent had to do any major cleaning of my brass other than wiping them off and cleaning out the primer pockets, but I only load about 25-50 rounds a session.

Also thanks to all you guys for your answers to many posts, very informative and kind people.
Gsauce224
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 02 Sep 2018, 10:49 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2018, 11:01 pm

Ziad wrote:Lastly get a loading block makes life easier and the ones in shop are cheaper than the 3d printed ones.

Yep, I don't understand why people try to use 3D printing to produce product for sale.
3d printing is for prototyping, once you have the design that works you send it to a plastics manufacturer that will turn you out a thousand of them for a buck each, instead of you printing them for $50 each on request. It's great for the seller as he never has to keep any stock, but it screws the purchaser who pays a huge premium for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Sep 2018, 6:49 am

It is cheaper to build them than the 15 or so it costs to buy one from the shops... but I lol when the sellers charge double for the 3d ones. Also printing one takes a good half a day
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Sep 2018, 6:05 pm

I could not find a reloading block for the 338 Lapua headstamp so I got some scrap wide decking board and drilled 50 holes in it. I don't have a 3D printer.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 8:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I could not find a reloading block for the 338 Lapua headstamp so I got some scrap wide decking board and drilled 50 holes in it. I don't have a 3D printer.

Exactly what I use for my loading blocks mate. Cheap and easy to make.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Homer » 06 Sep 2018, 8:45 am

G'Day Fella's,

2freeq, the first thing you should purchase, is a Reloading Manual.
Ask your self, "What do I know about Reloading"?
If the honest answer is "not a lot", you already understand, you need to learn some things about this task.
That being the case, get yourself a copy of either a Nosler or Nick Harvey reloading manuals, and then read it from cover to cover.
Then, if you still have questions or are confused, get on forums like this, and ask for advice.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wrenchman » 07 Sep 2018, 11:15 am

i have a lyman press it was a gift from my brother before he passed a way but i have a lot of lee stuff i like there dies
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition