Sorting cases by weight

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Sorting cases by weight

Post by Baldrick314 » 14 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

I'm thinking of sorting my 308 cases by weight to see if it has any effect on accuracy. Does anyone here do it? And if so by how do you do it?

I've weighed a batch of my cases and found about 3gr variance over a batch of 25. So I sorted them into sub batches based on their weight to .1 of a grain. At most this leaves me with 3 cases of the exact same weight but more often only 1 case.

So how much variation would you think you can allow and still make this worth while? I was thinking maybe half a grain would be sufficient. Any help/ advice is appreciated
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Sorting cases by weight

Post by Vati » 14 Jan 2014, 4:40 pm

You're 3gr variance sounds about right from my experience.

I was doing it for a while... Method = fireform > trim > weight > group > go.

Like you said, they're all so varied. I was keeping them in groups with a 1/4 gr tolerance but I ended up a dozen different groups of brass anyway.

And the groups were like 5 brass, 10 brass, 30 brass, 15 brass.... All over the place.

TBH in the end it was all too much work for me...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 14 Jan 2014, 4:59 pm

The idea behind it is that if your POI changes over the course of a match ( say starts landing high ) you can correct for it mid match and it becomes more predictable, as apposed to randomly landing all over the place. Most people don't do it because there are so many other variables that come into play. Measuring and sorting cases is the only way to 'control' that variable (the case) after trimming, uniforming primer pockets, flask holes and fire forming, etc. Some people sort the case it's self by weight as it's a good indicator of volume or measure the volume that it hold and sort that way. How bads your OCD??
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Baldrick314 » 14 Jan 2014, 5:08 pm

yoshie wrote:The idea behind it is that if your POI changes over the course of a match ( say starts landing high ) you can correct for it mid match and it becomes more predictable, as apposed to randomly landing all over the place. Most people don't do it because there are so many other variables that come into play. Measuring and sorting cases is the only way to 'control' that variable (the case) after trimming, uniforming primer pockets, flask holes and fire forming, etc. Some people sort the case it's self by weight as it's a good indicator of volume or measure the volume that it hold and sort that way. How bads your OCD??

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll put it on the back burner for now until I have a larger group of brass to work with
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 14 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

Half a grain variance for groups of brass is just about the right balance I think for receiving and improvement while not spending forever on maintaining your brass.

Not to mention the amount of brass you need to get enough brass if your groups...

To get 50 brass within .1gr of each other to reload a single box of bullets you'd need about 1,000 brass or something...
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 14 Jan 2014, 5:21 pm

I gave up on it too because it was too much work.

If you were shooting hundreds of rounds a week you'd get your large groups of equal brass soon enough I guess, but for your average weekend shooter...

Even with the good stuff like Lapua it seems to vary too much for average joe to bother.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Reloading ammunition