Flash hole beburring is it worth it ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Flash hole beburring is it worth it ?

Post by flashman » 26 Sep 2018, 10:46 am

Hi all, got some 223 rem PMC brass given to me ,on inspection looked all ok, looked at the primer pockets and noticed the flash holes looked dirty and had burres ,if I was to clean them up would I use a drill or a hand tool , is the a set diameter for a flash hole ? is it worth it....... :unknown: thanks. :)
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Flash hole beburring is it worth it ?

Post by pomemax » 26 Sep 2018, 11:21 am

sometimes if I am in a mood for it i will clean the flash hole but I just use an oxy tip cleaner to remove the worst of it
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/112981887925?chn=ps
but you don,t have to at all Deburr the flash hole
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Sep 2018, 12:33 pm

Flashman,
I understand to de-burr a flash hole you do it from the inside.

You can buy dedicated tool for the purpose which reams out the flash hole to correct size, as well as cuts the burr off.

I use tge K&M unit & do all my brass when i first get it.

As for clesning out flash hole, i dont really bother until a good few firings & let the wet tumbler get it all out.

Yes flash hole is supposed to be a min size (not sure what that is while im at work).

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Sep 2018, 12:44 pm

Flash Hole uniforming tools about halfway down this page:

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/categor ... ation.html

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by flashman » 26 Sep 2018, 1:33 pm

whooo, there is some good stuff there Q...can I get it in oz ,or have to go usa?????????
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 26 Sep 2018, 2:28 pm

If you compare BRT prices with US, and given the exchange rate + P&P, you'd probably be better off getting it here, provided that it's in stock.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by flashman » 26 Sep 2018, 2:34 pm

All right then best place to get 1 Im in Melbourne ,can think of a few places ,it looks a specialized peace of equipment..........
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 26 Sep 2018, 2:53 pm

BRT are in Brisbane area. They have a flat rate of $10 for P&P. Give them a call (Stuart & Annie Elliot - very successful BR shooters for Aus.)
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm

I do the flash hole inside and out with new brass, only needs doing once, and it's not a big effort on top of brass prep overall.
Is it worth it though? Wouldn't have a clue, but I doubt it unless you're shooting for trophies perhaps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Sep 2018, 5:41 pm

some flash holes need the burr taken out to be uniform but it can also be to uniform the hole as they can differ slightly from when made
be careful though some flash holes are made smaller than others on purpose and need to be left small
eg. lapua br cases or 308 lapua palma cases, some hornet cases ect, has to do with the build up of pressure in the case

www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=pr ... t_id=19538

www.brownells.com/reloading/case-prepar ... 39912.aspx
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Sep 2018, 8:50 pm

[quote="No1_49er"]
BRT are in Brisbane area. They have a flat rate of $10 for P&P. Give them a call (Stuart & Annie Elliot - very successful BR shooters for Aus.)
[/quote]

VERY good people to deal with.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Sep 2018, 10:07 am

Rod_outbak wrote:
No1_49er wrote:BRT are in Brisbane area. They have a flat rate of $10 for P&P. Give them a call (Stuart & Annie Elliot - very successful BR shooters for Aus.)

VERY good people to deal with.

Cheers,

Rod.

+1 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by flashman » 27 Sep 2018, 12:16 pm

All good, thanks for a great lot of information and yes I be leave uniform flash holes will ad in accuracy as well as ignition , cant hurt only got to do it once ,just need a tool and Im set.............and I know where to get that ....Thanks :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 27 Sep 2018, 12:26 pm

Marksman ,had a look thanks ,opted for the sincliar deburring tool ,on it way .............
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 27 Sep 2018, 5:38 pm

G'Da Fella's,

Flashman, in reality, we were all using factory cases, for decades, before we even heard about de-buring primer flash holes.
This came about from the Bench Rest crowd trying to get any assistance they could, to get their already tiny grouping rifles, to shoot even smaller groups.
So................ unless you have a really accurate shooting rifle (like Sub 1/2", and your as good a shot as the rifle), I imagine you won't notice any difference.

On the other hand, if you think this will make you a World Beater at whatever you shoot/hunt, go to it and more power to you.

By the way, http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/categor ... ation.html are great people to deal with and have forgotten more about Accuracy Shooting, than most of us know!

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Homer » 27 Sep 2018, 5:39 pm

G'Da Fella's,

Flashman, in reality, we were all using factory cases, for decades, before we even heard about de-buring primer flash holes.
This came about from the Bench Rest crowd trying to get any assistance they could, to get their already tiny grouping rifles, to shoot even smaller groups.
So................ unless you have a really accurate shooting rifle (like Sub 1/2", and your as good a shot as the rifle), I imagine you won't notice any difference.

On the other hand, if you think this will make you a World Beater at whatever you shoot/hunt, go to it and more power to you.

By the way, http://brtshooterssupply.com.au are great people to deal with and have forgotten more about Accuracy Shooting, than most of us know!

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by flashman » 27 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

Yes it all helps ,brtshooterssupply what a reloaders cave ,full of goodies ..............thanks all
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 Oct 2018, 4:54 am

In short, Flashman: Yes. It is worth the effort.

I have discovered undersized flashholes during the process. If you want the best consistency you can get out of your gear then it is an easy thing to do while you sit and chat or watch the tube.

Is it 'necessary'? Not if you are happy shooting 'acceptable' accuracy.

To me it is not about becoming a "world beater" but about producing the most consistency in my gear. Consistency = confidence. Confidence = better shooting.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by kthomas001 » 17 Oct 2018, 12:35 pm

If you want a definitive explanation of why you should deburr primer flash holes, you might want to read 'Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting', authored by Bryan Litz. If you haven't heard of Litz he is the chief ballistician for Berger Bullets and is literally a rocket scientist. In the book Litz dedicates a whole chapter to the subject and concludes that "deburring....can in fact have a dramatic effect on ignition, and the resulting consistency of muzzle velocity". The results of the testing he conducted clearly show an improvement in standard deviation.

I would only use a purpose-hand tool made for the purpose (Lyman make one). You need only remove the burrs, not drill a hole.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor Surgeon, and routinely deburr the primer flash holes of my cheaper brass with a resulting SD of 3.1 fps.

Hope this helps.
kthomas001
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition