Ultrasonic Vs. Wet Tumbler Vs. Dry Tumbler?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Ultrasonic Vs. Wet Tumbler Vs. Dry Tumbler?

Post by TBJ » 27 Sep 2018, 9:33 pm

Hi Guys,
Just wondering what you guys think is better? I've been looking at the Hornady 2L or Lyman 2500 Ultrasonic cleaners, or the RCBS Rotary Tumbler for Wet and Dry, or the RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner for Dry only, what would you guys recommend?, what media? I've heard walnut is good?
thanks
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Ultrasonic Vs. Wet Tumbler Vs. Dry Tumbler?

Post by No1_49er » 27 Sep 2018, 10:05 pm

Wet tumbling is all that I use now. Got rid of the vibrator and ultrasonic units long ago. Really can't imagine turning the clock back to the "old technology" for any reason at all.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Sep 2018, 5:47 am

Mate I just use an ultrasonic cleaner. Works a treat compared to the vibratory dry method. Ultrasonic cleans inside and out in a matter of minutes.
I have never used a wet tumbler before so can’t compare the two.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 28 Sep 2018, 6:03 am

I like the nice shiny brass you get from wet tumbling. Couldn’t go back to dry tumbling.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Sep 2018, 6:18 am

TheDude wrote:I like the nice shiny brass you get from wet tumbling. Couldn’t go back to dry tumbling.

G’day mate

Just curious as I have never used a wet tumbler, does the inside of the case and primer pocket clean up ok using that method?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Sep 2018, 8:30 am

Jimtom,

See attached pics; same brand of brass(PPU), just one set went through the tumbler yesterday, and the other yet to be processed. I think these were in for about 4 hours or therabouts.

I like to wet tumble, as I find it works well for me. I have used dry vibratory tumblers, hand-cleaned, and even dabbled in the art of Ultrasonic, but I seem to be able to get the cases much cleaner with wet tumbling.
In addition to how much cleaner I seem to be able to get the brass, I find my ageing eyesight can pick up flaws in brass much easier, when the brass is eye-watering shiny.

However, I tend to use a fair amount of water when washing the tumbled brass and tumbler out afterwards. If you have severely limited water, I'd possibly try other methods first. Also, if you recycle your grey water, have a thought about whats in that water coming out of the tumbler and down the sink; not sure if I'd be happy putting it onto the garden, especially if I was going to eat anything from it.

As with every other aspect of reloading, there are MANY ways to skin a cat...You'll have to decide if the investment in a tumbler works for you.

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
20180928_080734 (2).JPG
After 4 hours in the tumbler
20180928_080734 (2).JPG (425.12 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
20180928_080616 (2).JPG
Before Beginning Case Prep
20180928_080616 (2).JPG (445.53 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 28 Sep 2018, 9:36 am

JimTom wrote:
TheDude wrote:I like the nice shiny brass you get from wet tumbling. Couldn’t go back to dry tumbling.

G’day mate

Just curious as I have never used a wet tumbler, does the inside of the case and primer pocket clean up ok using that method?

Rods pics above give a good view. I don’t run mine for as long. Usually under 2 hours. Primer pockets and inside of necks are clean but not as shiny inside as his from 4 hours tumbling
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Sep 2018, 11:07 am

thanks for the pics and insight Rod. I can see that the wet tumbler does a really good job. I will persist with the ultrasonic cleaner at this stage. I am happy with the results (maybe not quite as good as what you have shown me) it produces and only takes a few minutes.
Definitely move into the wet tumbler once my ultrasonic machine sh*ts itself. Thanks mate.

TBJ, didn’t mean to hijack your thread mate. Hopefully you got some info out of my question anyways. Cheers mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 28 Sep 2018, 5:31 pm

I use a wet tumbler to clean the cases but after may use a vibratory case tumbler to put the slip back on the inside of the neck as I don't like the grip on the projectile after the wet tumbler, works for me but may just be OCD :D :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 29 Sep 2018, 7:14 am

I use wet tumbling but find that the pins tend to peen (put tiny little dints) I the case mouth if done for to long which then néed to be cleaned up. You can see it a little in the photos above. I don’t do more than about 2 hours.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 Sep 2018, 10:20 am

Yep; there is a definite time-limit on how long you can tumble brass; shorter if the cases have long necks (like .30-30).

The time these cases were in was about the longest I run them; damn near ruined some cases a few years back by leaving them in all day...

Usually, I limit it to around 3 hours(our artesian bore water tends to need a bit longer), but I couldnt get back to them at that point this time around.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 29 Sep 2018, 12:42 pm

G'Day Fella's,

TBJ, I now have two dry type vibratory Lyman case cleaners, with 10mm of dust on them.
The reason for this is, I purchased one of the rotary, Wet case cleaners, with stainless steel pins, that were advertised on www.usedguns.com.au a couple of years ago, and the Lyman cleaners, don't get used any more!
The quality and operation of these rotary wet cleaners, is very good.
I have cleaned over 2000 rifle and pistol cases, and I'm so impressed, I just don't use the vibratory Lyman cleaners any more.

Lyman, RCBS, Hornady and others also make these types of cleaners now, so................ lots ove options available these days.

My best advice though, is don't tumble you cases for more than 1 hour.
It would appear that the supplied S/Steel pins, can be quite abrasive to the Brass cases.
I also place 1/2 a Table spoon of liquid dishwashing detergent, in with the warm water and dirty cases.
You will need a sieve and wide bucket, to seperate the S/Steel pins and cases, and flat surface to dry off the cleaned, and rinsed cases on.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wanneroo » 29 Sep 2018, 1:37 pm

Dry Tumbling- lead soaked dust everywhere, no thank you.

Ultrasonic- I did that for a while. It works alright but doesn't have the scrubbing action of a tumbler with media. Now it's collecting dust on the shelf.

Wet Tumbling- the way to go.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Sep 2018, 5:53 pm

I understand wanting nice shiny brass and I do wet tumble my brass occasionally but for regular reloading I clean up the necks with fine sleel wool. As Marksman said the necks are very grabby with wet tumbled brass and that will play havoc with your neck tension.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by jonathan.xing17 » 09 Aug 2019, 4:38 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Jimtom,

See attached pics; same brand of brass(PPU), just one set went through the tumbler yesterday, and the other yet to be processed. I think these were in for about 4 hours or therabouts.

I like to wet tumble, as I find it works well for me. I have used dry vibratory tumblers, hand-cleaned, and even dabbled in the art of Ultrasonic, but I seem to be able to get the cases much cleaner with wet tumbling.
In addition to how much cleaner I seem to be able to get the brass, I find my ageing eyesight can pick up flaws in brass much easier, when the brass is eye-watering shiny.

However, I tend to use a fair amount of water when washing the tumbled brass and tumbler out afterwards. If you have severely limited water, I'd possibly try other methods first. Also, if you recycle your grey water, have a thought about whats in that water coming out of the tumbler and down the sink; not sure if I'd be happy putting it onto the garden, especially if I was going to eat anything from it.

As with every other aspect of reloading, there are MANY ways to skin a cat...You'll have to decide if the investment in a tumbler works for you.

Cheers,

Rod.

Nice photos Rod, Just wondering what is the recipe you use to make your wet tumbling solution? Do you use citric acid or vinigar?

Thanks
Jonathan
jonathan.xing17
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition