Problem seating projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Problem seating projectiles

Post by JimTom » 12 Oct 2018, 9:20 am

Will endeavour to fix the issue however this group was shot off a bipod and a small bag under the butt. Reasonably good accuracy for what is essentially a hunting load.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 12 Oct 2018, 12:01 pm

if I were you I would be definitely fixing what is making the ring marks on your projectiles, they are not just cosmetic :thumbsdown:
and if you think the ring marks are not hurting your rifles precision how would you know :unknown:
is this what your rifle and load shoots always or is it the better group of the day :unknown:

or you can be happy with what you have now, its about your standard and what you think is good enough :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 12 Oct 2018, 12:21 pm

G’day mate

The rifle shoots half inch at 100m consistently with the projectiles I have shown.
I have tried some 140gn Speer and the seat nicely with no marks and only managed an inch.
Although the ELD X have deformation they seem to be the most accurate even with the deformation.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

You are right though mate. I definitely don’t think it is normal and shouldn’t accept mediocrity.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by axio » 20 Oct 2018, 9:36 pm

I have had the same problem (with 223) and believe its related to neck tension, on the basis that more force is required to seat the projectile and causes dents

Bushing sizing dies with the correct bushing could solve this

Anyone with more knowledge on this topic able to comment?
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Oct 2018, 10:09 pm

axio wrote:I have had the same problem (with 223) and believe its related to neck tension, on the basis that more force is required to seat the projectile and causes dents

Bushing sizing dies with the correct bushing could solve this

Anyone with more knowledge on this topic able to comment?

I don't have "more" knowledge, hell what I don't know could fill a library, but I discovered that I was being a little forceful on the press. Being a little more gentle when seating eliminated the dents.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2018, 8:57 am

Fine for hunting.
The bullet shapes is changed, but it's uniform. That probably accounts for good groups.

Don't forget they get rammed through a barrel at 3000fps and are deformed in the process.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Oct 2018, 10:07 am

JimTom wrote:You are right though mate. I definitely don’t think it is normal and shouldn’t accept mediocrity.

1/2" is good but if you play with the neck tension and get rid of the ring marks it may tighten up the groups
its an OCD thing of mine to have everything as good as you can get it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 23 Oct 2018, 1:13 am

JimTom wrote:
AE5DEDE1-46DC-4FA5-9E34-A4E9642473C2.jpeg
This is how the 143gn ELD X went at the range. Even though they have the deformation, this is a 5 shot group at 100m.
Wondering if it would get any better if the projectiles were unmarked.

As a reminder this is what they looked like before and after seating.

Hey mate, did you do all the things I suggested back on Page 1? I had the same issue with the 143 ELD-Xs, but the issue was setting up the seating die correctly and using an steady, even force when seating - not trying to seat too quickly, as Gaz mentioned.

As to whether it will hurt accuracy, from what I've seen and read, it won't harm inherent accuracy much, but it will hurt BC and change POI over longer distances - which will hurt accuracy if you mix up indented and non-indented rounds (if that makes sense).

I've shot some of my best groups with indented rounds, but only at shorter distances.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by marksman » 23 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

the problem with indents on lead core projectiles is that the copper jacket will spring back but the lead core will not
so if you can guarantee the indent is exactly the same on every bullet you will have consistency for shorter ranges but if you cant you may get unexplained flyers
if this is acceptable to you then not a worry but it would be better to not have any deformation for best precision
thing is we can all make it out to be as allowable as we like but it should not be there :unknown: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 23 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

I think the ELD-X are indenting where they are because they are hollow at the tip - there's just copper jacket with the plastic insert, so no lead core to prevent the jacket deforming if the dies are not set up correctly, or if there is too much neck tension (or no concentric), or if you're a bit too exuberant with the seating lever. As mentioned, I went through this myself with the same projectile, and I've got good Forster dies.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 25 Oct 2018, 10:17 am

Flyer wrote:
JimTom wrote:
AE5DEDE1-46DC-4FA5-9E34-A4E9642473C2.jpeg
This is how the 143gn ELD X went at the range. Even though they have the deformation, this is a 5 shot group at 100m.
Wondering if it would get any better if the projectiles were unmarked.

As a reminder this is what they looked like before and after seating.

Hey mate, did you do all the things I suggested back on Page 1? I had the same issue with the 143 ELD-Xs, but the issue was setting up the seating die correctly and using an steady, even force when seating - not trying to seat too quickly, as Gaz mentioned.

As to whether it will hurt accuracy, from what I've seen and read, it won't harm inherent accuracy much, but it will hurt BC and change POI over longer distances - which will hurt accuracy if you mix up indented and non-indented rounds (if that makes sense).

I've shot some of my best groups with indented rounds, but only at shorter distances.

G’day mate,

Yes I have and the problem is now nowhere near as pronounced.
Just need to give the seating plug a bit of a polish which will hopefully eliminate the issue all together.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition