130 grain bullet 30-06 load.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

130 grain bullet 30-06 load.

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2018, 8:01 pm

Cut long story short. I would like to load 130 gr hornady"s in my M70 Winchester. I have tried a few loads and 49g AR2208 seems the best & I can get about 2" at 100yards. But would like better. I would like to stay with 2208. They are 20 thou off the lands. Would a bigger jump help?

This rifle used to be very accurate with 180gr bullets pushed pretty hard. Barrel is free floated.

Scope is a new Sightron 3-9*40 . I have another on a 30-06 and it's been great. All mounts seem OK.

I gather I should expect reasonable groups with 130gr bullets. I know 110s can be a problem.

Any suggestions?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: 130 grain bullet 30-06 load.

Post by marksman » 16 Oct 2018, 7:25 am

what does it shoot other bullet weights like :unknown:

what I would be doing is pulling the rifle apart to clean everything then carefully put it all back together making sure the bedding is right
then I would polish the throat with autosol and give the crown a look at

my 22-250 shoots one hole at 200 for about 200-250 rounds then starts to spray to an inch moa
polishing the throat is the answer with that rifle, it brings it back to one hole after polishing
worth a try, what can you loose :drinks:

but the rifle will tell you what it likes and if it does not like the load nothing will make it like it better :wtf: :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

In the past it shot 180s very well. But would like to try 130s
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

I am guessing they are moving along with 49 grains of powder and the RPM is pretty high. Bullet runout may be a problem at those revs, you could try slowing them down. If it were me I would try a box of Speer 125 grain TNT, those flat based bullets are very accurate for a hunting round and can tolerate high RPM. Not that I have tried the Hornady's and have experienced any problems with them. They are probably more suited to 308 speeds ad slower twist rates.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 16 Oct 2018, 7:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:In the past it shot 180s very well. But would like to try 130s

the twist may not be right for the 130's since it shot the 180's, the 30-06 is normally a standard 1 in 10" twist
I would not be trying to get close to the lands with the projectile and would be looking more at the bullet seated in the neck to the base of the neck
and trying to get the rounds as straight as you can, as long as the rear of the bullet is still in the case as the projectile moves into the lands it should shoot straight all going well, I would stay with the 2208 but would do an ocw test up to 53.5 grains that is the heaviest load quoted by adi for the 130gr projectile's at around 3150 fps and 48400 cup

lots of different things that could be going on that may help :unknown: just have to try :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition