Thoughts on using old powder?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Thoughts on using old powder?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 17 Oct 2018, 7:50 am

I found an unopened tin of 2209 amongst the old mans gear, so now I'm wondering, will it preform the same as a new bottle of 2209? Will the north qld humidity have gotten to it?
Its been in an old cupboard all these years, out of sunlight and nice and cool but the tin is pretty rusty. He would have bought it around 20 years ago I'd imagine
Attachments
2018-10-17 07.42.30.jpg
2018-10-17 07.42.30.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1349 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Thoughts on using old powder?

Post by straightshooter » 17 Oct 2018, 8:06 am

If the tin is rusty on the inside then I would be cautious.
If you can smell a solvent ie: ether smell then all is well.
If there is even a slight acid smell AND some of the granules have a brown tinge AND the inside of the tin is rusty then it may be dangerous to use.

edit
By the way, I regularly use ADI powders much older than the one you have pictured with no issues and I have had an unopened tin of 2207 go bad and rust through the tin within 10 years of purchase.
Last edited by straightshooter on 17 Oct 2018, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Oct 2018, 8:07 am

G'day Kelsey Cooter,
Smell it. Seriously, if it smells sweetish then it is fine to use and will perform the same as a new batch. If it has an ammonia smell (trust me, once you smell "off" powder you won't forget it!) then use it as lawn fertilizer. just water in well. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2018, 2:19 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Kelsey Cooter,
Smell it. Seriously, if it smells sweetish then it is fine to use and will perform the same as a new batch. If it has an ammonia smell (trust me, once you smell "off" powder you won't forget it!) then use it as lawn fertilizer. just water in well. Cheers.

Have a bbq that evening & wait for someone to drop a cigi butt on the lawn.. :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Oct 2018, 3:49 pm

Yeah Stix but that'll stop them from dropping cigi butts around the yard instead of putting them in a tin or bin :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Return to Reloading ammunition