Weight Batching Brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Weight Batching Brass

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Oct 2018, 2:23 pm

I am just de-priming etc a pile of once fired ADI .223 brass recently given to me by another Howa owner who doesn't reload.

In the past I have submitted to my inner compulsive and sorted my brass in exact weight batches, which makes for a large number of separate piles, with some only having 2 or 3 cases.

With this new lot, I decided to keep the number of piles of different weights to a more reasonable level by batching them in .5gn spread, 93-93.5 etc.

As I'm just detonating rabbits, not a competitor trying to shave millimeters off group sizes, I figure any small variances in case weight will not have an adverse effect on accuracy at the short ranges at which I normally shoot(-300m).

Do any others here who predominantly shoot small varmints batch their brass?

If you do, how anal do you get?

Is .5gn too big a spread?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Weight Batching Brass

Post by No1_49er » 25 Oct 2018, 2:55 pm

Yes Gaza, I do batch weigh my brass. But, prior to doing so, the primer pockets are trimmed, the flash holes are uniformed/deburred, the lengths are all trimmed to same, and only at that stage do I weigh. They should then all be dimensionally the same, except for wall thickness, which will be the cause of weight discrepancies.
Depending on how many you are sorting, and how fussy you want to be, weigh them and set them out in columns of equal weight. Should result in a nice "bell curve". At this time you might then gather up groups of, say, 20 cases that are the same weight, or within a decimal or 2 of your column sorting decision. You might end up with a few from either end of the curve that can be set aside for sorting with another batch in the future.

I should add that significant differences in weight i.e. wall thickness, means that the internal capacity is altered. Less volume / more pressure.
That's my take on "our" obsession.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2018, 5:48 pm

as already said uniform your brass before hand, I used to sort out brass up to a max of 1/2 a grain depending on the size of the case, 1/2 a grain for 30-06/300 win mag size cases but less for smaller cases, since getting quickload I weigh water volume from the case, I had seen how to do it in a write up from Nick Harvey who disputed the accuracy of weighing the case alone, it is way more accurate to weigh the water to find the volume of your case
lets say brass is not brass, we already know this because it is different from brand to brand in quality and look
I have proven to myself many times that just because two cases weigh the same does not mean they have the same volume
and that means different pressure's so different points of impact, explains the odd unexplained flyer :wtf:

I am not having a dig at anyone who does weigh there cases but I find it a bit of a feel good thing
I was very disappointed when I started weighing the water volume and felt I had been wasting my time for years weighing cases alone :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Oct 2018, 7:24 pm

Thanks guys.
I'll have to investigate the water volume.
The comparative desities of slightly differing alloy mixes is something I would never have even considered.
I'll google Nick Harvey and do some reading :thumbsup:

I used to line the cases up in groups when I first started, but I have wobbly "disco hands" from headbutting a semi, and not much in reloading is more calculated to put a bucket of sh!t on your liver than trying to gently put the 98th one into it's line and having a wobbly set off the domino effect :roll:
I put each weight group in clip seal bags now, it's a pain in the ring piece but it saves having to start again.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2018, 8:16 pm

this is roughly what I do
the cases must be fireformed in your chamber first
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMEtfT-e0eg
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Oct 2018, 8:17 pm

I weight sort mine when all wet tumbled & trimmed etc as is pointed out above.

Once weighed, i just pick them up in lightest to heavy & put them in the case that way.

As i shoot i try to put them back in order.(if need a couple of rapid successive shots they may not go back in the same order-but are positioned near enuf in relation to the overall batch).

For each case of 50, i keep in mind that the extreme weight ones (lightest/heaviest) are either at the beggining or end of the batch (i know if they're at start or end as i number all my batches).

One day ill do the water volume test as marksman points out.
But at this point i struggle to find time to load & shoot, so until ALDI have pallets of spare time on sale, volume batching has to weight... ( :lol: ... :lol: ...get it...?...i did a pun... :lol: ...)

By the way marksman...i like the new avatar... :thumbsup: :clap: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Oct 2018, 8:29 pm

Wouldn't brass that's from one company and bought close together be enough to be able to weight sort?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 25 Oct 2018, 9:52 pm

I believe you are right, Ziad.
If the brass is all from the same manufacturer it is likely to have the same alloy properties and thus density. If the exterior dimensions are also the same, having been resized, uniformed primer pockets and flash holes, and all trimmed to same length, then surely the only thing that can alter weight, one from another, is thickness?
It could then be surmised that the heaviest not only has the thicker walls, but will also therefore have the smaller volume.
It's going to take a lot to convince me that a heavier case might also have a larger internal capacity - water volume.
My reasoning says that there is no sense in having water anywhere near the guts of my cases, unless I'm wet tumbling them.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Oct 2018, 7:22 am

Nope it's another one of those things that I don't find necessary. I haven't even tested a load I made up a while back, I just took it out and started blowing up bunnies with it and it worked fine so I figured it must shoot ok so no need to waste time and money shooting paper to see how it shoots. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2018, 4:59 pm

Ziad wrote:Wouldn't brass that's from one company and bought close together be enough to be able to weight sort?

I would go with this as long as the cases are from the same batch
when I used to weight sort brass I found that in the same batch of 100 I would usually only find around 1-2 cases that were more than I would allow for and found they were good enough for the accuracy I was looking for at that time, 1/2" moa

as I said earlier I had read an article by Nick Harvey disputing the sence of weighing the cases for finding the volume of cases instead saying that filling the cases with water and weighing the water would be more accurate and it is if you want to find out the volume of a case
I need to get a true volume value to use Quickload effectively for an accurate extrapolation, I have found the more precise you are with your figures the more precise the extrapolation although I do only use Quickload to find my maximum load for that particular rifle

I know that weighing the cases has been the way to check volume for years, I did it myself, but for a little time you can check the volume more efficiently, its only time not a huge amount of money :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2018, 5:04 pm

Stix wrote:I weight sort mine when all wet tumbled & trimmed etc as is pointed out above.

Once weighed, i just pick them up in lightest to heavy & put them in the case that way.

As i shoot i try to put them back in order.(if need a couple of rapid successive shots they may not go back in the same order-but are positioned near enuf in relation to the overall batch).

For each case of 50, i keep in mind that the extreme weight ones (lightest/heaviest) are either at the beggining or end of the batch (i know if they're at start or end as i number all my batches).

But at this point i struggle to find time to load & shoot, so until ALDI have pallets of spare time on sale, volume batching has to weight... ( :lol: ... :lol: ...get it...?...i did a pun... :lol: ...)

ALDI has pallets of spare time Stix :wtf: let me know when they have them again :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stole my avatar from an overseas site, I like it to Stix :drinks: :thumbsup:
haven't heard much from you lately Stix whats happening :unknown: you haven't been out for a shot :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Oct 2018, 8:33 pm

marksman wrote:
Stix wrote:I weight sort mine when all wet tumbled & trimmed etc as is pointed out above.

ALDI has pallets of spare time Stix :wtf: let me know when they have them again :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stole my avatar from an overseas site, I like it to Stix :drinks: :thumbsup:
haven't heard much from you lately Stix whats happening :unknown: you haven't been out for a shot :unknown:

Im on this gig thats killing me...starting at 6am on the tools, heavy & hard 9-10 hr days working for what are basically a bunch of disrespectful c***...
When you're of mature age & very good at what you do, its a mental struggle to put up with being micro managed by a 23yo who's not long out of his apprenticeship but is SSOOOO knowledgeable in EVERYTHING anyone has EVER done...you end up doing most things atleast twice ...(big sigh... :roll: )...

By the time i get home im struggling to keep eyes ooen.

Shot up a farm last sat to do a ladder test on 2 rifles (to try at 500)...
Left range finder at home... (FFS...!!!!!!had to use odometer & mental guesstimate trigonometry to range the targets. . :lol: .)

Met up with one of the farm workers after my morning shotty walk & got chatting...by the time i got set up & on paper the wind blew up enough to send the 22-250 off paper...
:(
So i set up with wind behind me & got one shot on paper & wind swung around 90 degrees to blow off paper again...
NOT HAPPY JAN...

Gots me a bunny with a fox fur though...its on sslt atm & ill flesh it out on the weekend...hopefully i dont tear it too much cos she's very pretty...!
2018-10-26 20.28.42.jpg
Red rabbit
2018-10-26 20.28.42.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 5089 times

(No she doesnt have 3 back legs...i started skinning her before i thought about taking a pic)

Even if she did have a bit of a beard...
2018-10-26 20.33.31.jpg
Bearded red rabbit
2018-10-26 20.33.31.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5089 times

Ran outa ammo sighting in cos of bludy stoopid scope...!!!

Sorry...continue on with the thread as y'all were... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Oct 2018, 5:42 am

:lol: I love ya work stix, you just keep your entertaining posts coming ‘ol mate :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Oct 2018, 5:47 am

bigfellascott wrote:Nope it's another one of those things that I don't find necessary. I haven't even tested a load I made up a while back, I just took it out and started blowing up bunnies with it and it worked fine so I figured it must shoot ok so no need to waste time and money shooting paper to see how it shoots. :D

I’m with you Scott, I’m into reloading, but weighing cases is too time consuming for me. I applaud anyone who’s determined and motivated to do that, but so long as I can group under a inch at 100 I’m happy.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Oct 2018, 6:33 am

Yeah Stix, I really love newly hatched experts who want to teach their Grampa how to suck eggs too.

The young engineers 5min out of uni with the ink on their degree still wet are some kind of special, eh?

Having them parachuted in over guys that have 30+ years experience really makes for a great work environment.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 27 Oct 2018, 7:05 am

A few years back, I had my young(~18 Years) niece working here over her Christmas break.

Unknown to me (I was house-bound with health issues), when out working, she was 'encouraging' the overseer and station-hand to recognise that she was the de-facto boss.
Now, my overseer is the same age as me, and I'd expect that he's forgotten more about running this place, than I've learned in my whole life.
If I'm realistic about it, we wouldnt still own this patch of dirt if he hadnt chosen to stay after Dad died in 2000.
So, my overseer has the final say on what happens in the day-to-day operational stuff.

Overseer bemusedly gives her a series of jobs that demonstrates this kid doesnt even know how to operate a shovel, and eventually suggests she would be the greatest help by standing over to the side, and keeping that shovel-handle from lying in the dirt...
While they got on with the real work....
Still not convinced this kid has ever realised she had been side-lined...
We ended up calling her 'Senior Management'....
That was a LONG summer.....sigh.
THANKFULLY, the kid has improved somewhat with a few more years experience in the real world, but it has been a painful journey for us at times...

When I worked for QDPI about 20 years back. I remember talking to one of the Sheep & Wool consultants in DPI. Dale had landed the job straight out of UNI, and full of ideas on how to improve agriculture in Western QLD.
Dale was a bit concerned to note that after his third seminar where he was telling graziers with 30+ years exeperience that they didnt know as much as this fresh UNI graduate, that he was running out of attendees!
Cant think why!!
Dale reckons it took him over 5 years to re-gain the respect of those people, and eventually won most of them over with a LOT of hard work. But it took a LOT of effort and a serious attitude adjustment on his behalf, before he made any headway.
Eventually, some of them develop into decent human beings....
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2018, 12:15 pm

bigrich wrote::lol: I love ya work stix, you just keep your entertaining posts coming ‘ol mate :drinks: :thumbsup:

+1 :drinks: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Oct 2018, 12:49 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Nope it's another one of those things that I don't find necessary. I haven't even tested a load I made up a while back, I just took it out and started blowing up bunnies with it and it worked fine so I figured it must shoot ok so no need to waste time and money shooting paper to see how it shoots. :D

I’m with you Scott, I’m into reloading, but weighing cases is too time consuming for me. I applaud anyone who’s determined and motivated to do that, but so long as I can group under a inch at 100 I’m happy.

Clear a decent space on the coffee table, brass next to electronic scales, pen & paper...
Doesnt take more than a few mins to weight sort a batch of 50. :thumbsup:

Maybe 5-10 mins to do a batch of 100. :thumbsup:

Ive not noticed a "great difference" for general hunting/head shooting bunnies to 200 odd...

But if i shoot a 3 shot group with the 204 at 120 yds with the cartridges from the middle of a weight sorted & fresh cleaned & prepped batch...it will shoot .3 every time.--thats just with stock standard tikka synth with cheap ass scope.

If i try it with the extreme weight range cases, ive thrown a variable i "know about" in there, so its not as accurate by OCD laws.

I use middle of the batch for all long shots where accuracy is needed...
Also atleast confirm my loads with brass from the middle weight region of a batch too.

Placebo effect...? :unknown: ...maybe...

But OCD prevents me from doing otherwise, & has convinced me it makes a difference when it needs to.

It all comes down to what you can/want to tolerate in terms of prep work & shooting ability, along with your level of acceptable accuracy for yourself & time you make available for it.
Nothing wrong with shooting an inch group at all... :thumbsup: but if you're in to it, any 350 yd head shot bunny with that load is just a fluke no matter how good a shot you are.

I have absolutely NO doubt every step plays a part, or people like marksman wouldnt be shooting groups like he does all the time...!!! :thumbsup:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2018, 2:48 pm

Yeah nah I can't be bothered with all the witchcraft stuff, I just do the basics and it's good enough for my needs (300m+ headshots at times) not always successful but good enough for the fun I want without all the BS - I've got better things to do with my time (drinking) and I don't care about group sizes etc, been there been a victim of that crap and happy to not need to worry about it in the times of fur busting I do these days. :D

Each to their own of course and whatever floats ya boat is up to the individual but from my extensive hunting experience 99% of this stuff really isn't needed for the average hunter and most wouldn't shoot real long ranges on small game anyway from what I've seen over the years. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2018, 4:51 pm

I am hearing you scott
many people just cant be bothered with the witchcraft stuff :drinks:
but seriously if the case volume didn't matter and was witchcraft you would mix your cases even with military stuff and have no problems :wtf:
case volume does play a big part in being able to consistently hit your target
what a heap of people dont really get there heads around is that less volume means more pressure
so a military case that weighs 5gr heavier than say a winchester case will have way more pressure for the same amount of powder
even seating your projectiles deeper will cause more pressure but a lot of reloaders think because they are getting further away from the lands having more jump they think they will have less pressure, the truth is that once your projectile is off the lands the pressure drops until you start to seat it deeper
you can tune a load to be very tolerant of small changes, its called the optimal charge weight :drinks:
but I have had very precise shooting rifles that have shot without checking the case volume, it does happen :allegedly:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2018, 5:09 pm

Yeah nah not for me, I can't say I need to bother with it to be able to shoot fur out around 300m in the head, I've only ever done case weight sorting once along with flash hole trimming and neck turning etc and honestly it did SFA diff to how the rifle shot (ruger 223) so I never bothered with worrying about it again. My way of looking at it is if heads are exploding out around 300m or so with good consistency I don't need to worry about it, even the factory ammo goes alright in the Howso 204 out around the 250m and that was shooting down into a valley off a backpack when I used it and I doubt they would bother with all that weight sorting and turning of cases for better results, all this case prep stuff is just more target shooting witchcraft and that's where it should stay, people get all caught up in that sort of thing for their hunting rifles and I doubt it really makes SFA diff in hunting situations where there's SFA time to stuff around waiting for wind readings, shooting at known distances and at targets that don't move around or can sense there is danger nearby and often shooting off makeshift rests etc

For mine it's a waste of time for hunting purposes, for target shooting etc it may be of some benefit but I would suggest learning how to shoot well would make a bigger difference at the end of the day. :drinks:
First time out with the Howso 204 shooting factory ammo at a rabbit warren that was around 220m or so away down in the valley below, some were shot at 250-260m - it took a couple of shots to work out where the rifle was shooting and then it was head removal time :D

These 2 copped it in the head out around 270m with the rifle bipod resting on my feet for added elevation, mum was plugged first and junior popped out about 30sec later and got the same head massage treatment.

I'm not sure how much better case sorting etc would make this rifle shoot as it shoots pretty good as it is out of the box.
This is how it shot using factory ammo (3 shots in the little red dot in the middle of the target and 1 just out to the top as you can see in the pic.

This is with my handloads out around 140m from memory - yeah I could stuff around and try and tighten the group up if I wanted but honestly s**t just keeps falling over so I figure why waste my time when it works, if it works I say leave it alone. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Oct 2018, 5:47 pm

Some good shooting there Scott.

Mate, I do it because I need all the help I can get.
:lol:

It's like when I'm building something nobody else is likely to see. I still see it so I want to do it the best I can.

Everyone needs a hobby and it beats train spotting.
Get a lot of them here because the road intersects the highest point for the main southern railway line and the trains are able to be photographed.

We think benchrest guys can get anal, one guy out there last year had his video setup on one tripod, a still camera on another tripod, he's looking round and making notes about where he was and weather and such.

In my naivete, I thought there must have been something special coming, so I asked him WTF?

He informed me that a particular loco was due through. When the train was passing, Old Mate is snapping away, video going, all impressed with himself, so I asked him what was special about that one.

Turns out this character wasn't interested in the locos per se, he collected the numbers painted on the sides.

He had driven +90km out from Canberra to get his jiggy on over some painted numbers :crazy:

Be a boring old world without the "special" people, eh?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2018, 7:07 pm

and I agree with you scott that if it works leave it alone :drinks:
the fine tuning isn't for everyone and isn't always needed
that rifle shoots very well and is one you would not pass on, it has a very good barrel and has been put together right
its a pity that all rifles don't just shoot like that :unknown: some rifles dont need pampering :thumbsup:

as I said before I dont weigh cases anymore, I weigh the water volume of the case but if the volume was not worth worrying about you would mix your brass brands up and not care, even military cases in the mix
but being responsible handloader's we know that doing that we may blow our rifle up if we are reloading at or near max pressure :wtf:

anyway for those who are interested here is a utube vid that explains the importance of knowing your water case capacity :drinks:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_l0s5n5Q-0
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2018, 8:05 pm

Sounds like I'm lucky to be alive going by ol mates woffle on how important it is to do the water weight thing, I use all sorts of diff manufactured brass all running the same load for years and years not one instance of a problem that I've noticed (although I did have a pierced primer once many many years ago) and I've had one or 2 split necks over the years other than that not a problem.

I'm just glad I don't suffer from OCD. :D what's next measuring the grain length of powder to ensure it's got some sort of burn rate consistency :lol:

You boys and ya witchcraft reloading techniques. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2018, 8:35 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Some good shooting there Scott.

It's like when I'm building something nobody else is likely to see. I still see it so I want to do it the best I can.

Get a lot of them here because the road intersects the highest point for the main southern railway line and the trains are able to be photographed.

We think benchrest guys can get anal, one guy out there last year had his video setup on one tripod, a still camera on another tripod, he's looking round and making notes about where he was and weather and such.

In my naivete, I thought there must have been something special coming, so I asked him WTF?

He informed me that a particular loco was due through. When the train was passing, Old Mate is snapping away, video going, all impressed with himself, so I asked him what was special about that one.

Turns out this character wasn't interested in the locos per se, he collected the numbers painted on the sides.

He had driven +90km out from Canberra to get his jiggy on over some painted numbers :crazy:

I think I know the train you're talking about, I saw a show on it a while back, I think it went down Goulburn way. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 28 Oct 2018, 10:26 pm

Nice group big fella.

Im with Gaz & i need all the help i can get.

If my rifle did what yours does with any brass & bugger all prep i wouldnt bother either... :thumbsup:

In trying to re-sight my 204 in today, ive also had gòod results with my annealing test.

After 5 firings my groups have opened up (a couple of firings ago) to .7"-.8"...sometimes out to nearly an inch.

So i finally FL sized, trimmed, chamfer deburr & annealed the cases.
Then i neck sized them again...

So the load i use shoots a relatively consistant .3"-.4" at 100m (110yds)-(before they opened up a bit)

While i was only shooting 2 shots at a time for this exercise today (sighting in), the 2 shot groups (not really a group i know) but the pairs of shots are at .4"-but now at 200 yds...!!
2018-10-28 22.38.39.jpg
204 200 yds 3-5 mph wind chopping from 11-1 o'clck
2018-10-28 22.38.39.jpg (292.73 KiB) Viewed 4948 times

Im pretty happy with that...so far the effort to anneal & re-prep all the brass looks like it was worth it...for me anyway.

At the end of the day, i dont care what others do to their brass, im just learning it all.
But one things for sure big fella...if i imagine you & i sniping 300+ yd bunnies from under the shade of a eucalypt while washing down beer nuts with an ale between turns...the only thing that comes to mind is the size of the grin & joy on our faces...!!! :clap: :D :drinks:...not the case prep...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Oct 2018, 12:32 am

I've never annealed any brass ever or even weighed any brass ever always had excellent accuracy in all my rifles once a load has been worked up :thumbsup:
But I think its what ever floats your boat as what was said about distance from the lands its a way by moving the projectile in hence reducing the volume
of the case then there is more pressure when fired it wouldn't take much reduction in volume to create a fair amount of pressure and this could fine tune
the load I don't think the witchcraft as Scott puts it is really necessary for every day hunters but if you are into extra long hunting then you would do whatever it took to be as accurate as possible for an ethical kill but on saying that for what I do and the distances I shoot out to 540yds so far very comfortably
and so far I don't need to do any extra to my bullets to get the job done :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Oct 2018, 8:18 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Some good shooting there Scott.

I think I know the train you're talking about, I saw a show on it a while back, I think it went down Goulburn way. :thumbsup:

No mate, this wasn't a special train. It was a bog standard, grubby blue and yellow diesel loco, just like all the others, pulling grain.

This guy wasn't interested in the train, he collected the numbers painted on the side.
He proudly informed me that he had nearly all of them.

I was sorely tempted to ask him what he was going to do with his life once he'd collected all of them but he was so pleased with his achievement I thought it would be churlish to throw dirt on his happiness.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 29 Oct 2018, 10:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like I'm lucky to be alive going by ol mates woffle on how important it is to do the water weight thing, I use all sorts of diff manufactured brass all running the same load for years and years not one instance of a problem that I've noticed (although I did have a pierced primer once many many years ago) and I've had one or 2 split necks over the years other than that not a problem.

I'm just glad I don't suffer from OCD. :D what's next measuring the grain length of powder to ensure it's got some sort of burn rate consistency :lol:

cmon scott
I explained earlier that I need to weigh the water volume of the cases so I can extrapolate a load with quickload to find the max load for that particular rifle
:huh: sorry to much information :huh: OCD is kicking in :wtf:
very happy for people not to try and squeeze every bit of accuracy out of there reloads, but there are people who want to know how to :drinks:
very sorry if I'm woffleing on :lol: :violin: :sarcasm:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2018, 7:36 pm

marksman wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like I'm lucky to be alive going by ol mates woffle on how important it is to do the water weight thing, I use all sorts of diff manufactured brass all running the same load for years and years not one instance of a problem that I've noticed (although I did have a pierced primer once many many years ago) and I've had one or 2 split necks over the years other than that not a problem.

cmon scott
I explained earlier that I need to weigh the water volume of the cases so I can extrapolate a load with quickload to find the max load for that particular rifle
:huh: sorry to much information :huh: OCD is kicking in :wtf:
very happy for people not to try and squeeze every bit of accuracy out of there reloads, but there are people who want to know how to :drinks:
very sorry if I'm woffleing on :lol: :violin: :sarcasm:

It's all good mate, you do what works best for you, me I can't be bothered with all that blackmagic stuff, I find what I've been doing since age 12 has been good enough for my needs, can't see any reason to change it TBH. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition