Pressure signs?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Pressure signs?

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Nov 2018, 9:46 am

and another
Attachments
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg (353.21 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Apollo » 05 Nov 2018, 11:25 am

The first thing I would do if I saw that mark on the head of a case (OSA) and not on the Hornady would be to measure the case length. Shoulder datum point to case head (base). Wonder if the OSA show a little bolt closure resistance.

I have seen that on my own cases of different calibres and it is a case that is a touch long that needs the shoulder bumped a touch. Being new it might just be they are a touch long for your chamber, just a guess as I don't know what chamber you have (make of rifle) and it's dimensions. In my case I know that a couple of my chambers which are custom chambering were done as a "crush fit" so there is bolt resistance on closure.

The swipe mark is the bolt face closing then opening on a tight case. There is no sign of an ejector mark on the case head that I can see.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Nov 2018, 12:41 pm

Apollo,
thanks for that, i'll do some measuring of case length. It's a Howa. Now that you mention it, I did have one OSA round [not necessarily the cases in the photos] resist closure. i extracted it and examined it, worked the bolt empty a few times to check it was still operating properly then reloaded it and closed the bolt with a little bit more effort. it only happened with the one round, the rest seemed to cycle normally.
Member-Deleted

Post by Apollo » 05 Nov 2018, 1:40 pm

I don't know if you do already but I would be putting a tad of high pressure grease on your bolt lug faces to reduce any bolt lug galling that might happen when using this OSA ammo. As we do in competition shooting, the lugs are greased before every detail. In my case about every 8 rounds.

Most all my competition ammo is pretty close to maximum length, say with a touch over 0.001" headspace and that is about all I ever bump shoulders back if they get tight. On varminting/hunting ammo it's normally about 0.002" headspace I set my either FLS or Bump Dies at if needed but the majority of my calibres don't grow so very seldom do they need shoulders bumped back.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 05 Nov 2018, 8:48 pm

maybe case length is a bit long for your chamber ? i've had a similar thing where i was useing some fed 130 gn hp in my 308 sako. felt tight to close, slight rub marks, not as obvious as yours. when i went to reload, these cases were over max length by a couple of thou. if you think that's odd some fed 222 factory ammo brass was 30 thou shorter than spec after firing ! dunno if i'll buy any more fed ammo...... :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Nov 2018, 9:12 pm

Hi Apollo, here is a informative article on reloading and using the primer as a pressure test.

I think the primer is one of the first to show "Bolt Thrust" or Breech Pressure" signs. Many years ago when I 1st started reloading, I was told that the primer/cartridge base would be the first to show signs of pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... APC4xixPtY
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Nov 2018, 10:17 pm

And today I just read how a guy was running 43gr of 2208 with 95gr proj in a 243w. Why don't ppl look at manuals or basic couple of videos before reloading.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Nov 2018, 4:48 am

Ziad wrote:And today I just read how a guy was running 43gr of 2208 with 95gr proj in a 243w. Why don't ppl look at manuals or basic couple of videos before reloading.

That fella’s name wasn’t Wyle E Coyote was it ? Rifle and ammo come in a Acme crate ? :lol: ya just gotta wonder about some people’s common sense and intelligence
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Nov 2018, 7:07 am

And he was complaining why his reloaded ammo was cratering primers. He got the gun from a friend and some reloaded ammo, and the friend told him it was 43gr. Obviously someone made a mistake (or wanted to kill the guy) butthe guy sounds have atleast checked
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Nov 2018, 7:24 am

Some people do not have the right attitude for reloading...true story.
I’ve watched a guy - literally set his hornady elec scales, plugs in his target number and then goes off and primes / resizes until he hears the “over” alarm.
I said to him, your not going to use that load are you?
Ready for this...”yeah - when it says over, it means it’s finished dispensing, it’s dispensing cycle is now “over” and you can take the powder off the scale.
Wtf. Wtf. Wtf.
When I explained to him that “over” was an alarm that the dispensary had gone over his target, he struggled to believe me...”worked for me for years...” he said.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition