Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 17 Nov 2018, 10:07 pm

Hi folks, new to reloading here and about to purchase my first outfit, one of the Lee kits for budget purposes.

I have narrowed it down to two kits with not much $$ difference, but wish to know from equipment users which you prefer, and how does one against the other compare.

It comes down to the primer set-up...one has a hand primer, whilst the other has it on the press, and a quick 'search' onsite didn't reveal any specifics.. (tried 'hand vs press priming') perhaps my "google foo" is off.. :unknown:

Anyway, let me know which you prefer & why, and were I to buy the 'press priming', do they have any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Thanks & Cheers
Gypsy
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by Bills Shed » 17 Nov 2018, 10:38 pm

As to priming I am a fan of the hand priming system as I can take it anywhere and not tied to the press. I do not run a Lee but a Sinclair. Brands are a personal thing. If it works ...it works. I did have a Lee hand prime system about a 1000 years ago and just did not like the quality and the size of it. Seemed very small in the hand. They may have improved. They seem to work for a lot of people.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 17 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm

Go here https://leeprecision.com/product-catalog.html and download a copy of the 2019 Lee product catalogue.
Look at pages 26/27 and you'll see their current hand primers and the new(ish) bench mounted variety. Comes with 2x quick change trays for small/large primers. Very easy to operate and very good "feel" when seating.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 17 Nov 2018, 11:53 pm

Thanks for that No1. ...groannn, now I see more expense rofl..

As noted above, (if you use the Lee gear) do you prefer on, or off, the press & why?

Thanks.
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 17 Nov 2018, 11:56 pm

Sorry Bill, I jumped your post...thanks for responding as well, and your thinking is somewhat aligned to the direction I was thinking, but wanted to get others feedback on "most convenient"...I figured I could prime while not being tied to the bench so to speak, but figured it may have been quicker to have an 'all-in-one' set-up?

Thanks.
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ziad » 18 Nov 2018, 1:06 am

I have a classic turret, its got auto prime which is set from the handle of the press. I am fairly happy with it, its quite simple to use.

I'd you getting the press get the breech lock one, will make swapping dies simple and I beable you don't have to readjust them again everytime you change to new die.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 Nov 2018, 4:28 am

Hi Ziad, not that I am that far into it yet, but thanks for the advice, and the breech lock is on one of the ones I am considering.

Are there any issues with the auto-feed system I should be aware of?

The Lee primer feeders look like plastic, do they break/crack easy, if at all?

Cheers
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 18 Nov 2018, 8:05 am

I have the Lee Breech lock challenger kit. It came with a hand primer and has the little arms (small and large rifle primer) that slip into the press. I have tried priming on the press a few times. Mainly when I have the Lee hand primer tool set up to do small primers and I only need to do a few large. I don't like that of feel when doing it on the press. The press has too much leverage. Lee hand primer tool is fine to get you started and will last a fair while.

I've bought a Forester Co-ax press now. But I still do a lot of loading on my Lee press (mainly 223) it works perfectly fine.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Nov 2018, 8:06 am

I went both...!!

I have a press with priming function, & also bought a lee hand prime tool.

I pretty much only use hand prime--just as bill said can sit infront if tv/easy take it up farm etc.
But also can do on the press-a handy backup if hand primer fails/leave up the farm/ loose it etc. :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 Nov 2018, 9:03 am

Cooper wrote:I have the Lee Breech lock challenger kit. It came with a hand primer and has the little arms (small and large rifle primer) that slip into the press.

Wait a minute?... so it's possible to use the Kit that doesn't have the press mounted primer? Do you fit the whole hand primer onto the press in some manner, or just parts of the hand primer using the "little arms"? I'm not getting the picture here, sorry.

Thanks for jumping in here.. :thumbsup:
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 Nov 2018, 9:06 am

Stix,...that seems a reasonable way to go, but if i'm reading what Cooper wrote correctly, the hand primer kit allows me to do both anyway?

NB;... I am learning all this by 'feel' so to speak, with no-one around with either the inclination, or equipment to give me a rundown on all this. Thanks to all for your assistance.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 18 Nov 2018, 9:50 am

Hi PoorShot
I have all Lee gear, hand primer seemed best for my budget and works a treat.

The only thing I don't like is the Lee beam scale. The fiddliest bastard of a thing I've ever used, I ended up getting electronic and haven't looked back.

The link below is to an article about recognizing pressure signs, it's well worth reading. The site is Primal Rights run by Greg Dykstra and has many resources that are worth the time taken to read them especially for new loaders like you and I.

https://www.primalrights.com/library/ar ... g-pressure
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Captain
Captain

New South Wales

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

Hey Gaznazdiak, thanks for responding,..and the link. I now have it saved as a pdf. in my "recipes" folder,as it looks like a lengthy read.

I should also note, when I bought my first rifles way back when, I also bought the Hornady Reloading Manual (8th Edition) and it's sat unread in the cupboard till now as I wasn't loading, so there is that reference I will be using as a guide also. I'm unaware of whom Greg Dykstra, is but I'm a sponge for info and look forward to reading his take...

Nice to read your experience about the Lee scale and for now, I have a medium size jewellers scale with x.xx scale, which should suffice in the short-mid term with weighing components, but nice to know alternate scales may be worth a look at.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 18 Nov 2018, 10:41 am

PoorShot300 wrote:
Cooper wrote:I have the Lee Breech lock challenger kit. It came with a hand primer and has the little arms (small and large rifle primer) that slip into the press.

Wait a minute?... so it's possible to use the Kit that doesn't have the press mounted primer? Do you fit the whole hand primer onto the press in some manner, or just parts of the hand primer using the "little arms"? I'm not getting the picture here, sorry.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (570.12 KiB) Viewed 366 times

Here is a picture of the primer arm that slip into the press. A small primer and large primer one come with the press. Lee have a safety prime system that feeds the primers into arm on the press. I've only feed the individually into the press.

If you buy the Lee breech lock challenger kit it comes with hand primer. It doesn't come with the Safety prime setup to auto feed for press priming. But you can still feel what it's like by feeding primers individually.

It's confusing. I know!
The other thing with the Lee hand primer is it uses hand primer tool shell specific (shell holders). The press shell holders are different. Lee dies come with free shell holders for the press. The Lee single stage challenger kit comes with a packet of shell holders for the hand primer press.

Most of the other priming tools use the "press" style shell holder.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2018, 10:44 am

PoorShot300 wrote:Hi folks, new to reloading here and about to purchase my first outfit, one of the Lee kits for budget purposes.

I have narrowed it down to two kits with not much $$ difference, but wish to know from equipment users which you prefer, and how does one against the other compare.

It comes down to the primer set-up...one has a hand primer, whilst the other has it on the press, and a quick 'search' onsite didn't reveal any specifics.. (tried 'hand vs press priming') perhaps my "google foo" is off.. :unknown:

Anyway, let me know which you prefer & why, and were I to buy the 'press priming', do they have any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Thanks & Cheers
Gypsy

I prefer the hand primer over the press-mounted feeder.
But I do also prime on the press, without the feeder, by placing the primer on the ram manually.
I also sometimes prime on the hand primer manually instead of using the tray.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2018, 10:49 am

PoorShot300 wrote:

The press comes with the two primer arms regardless of other priming systems. The press-mounted system is an add-on to the primer arms, it doesn't replace them. The hand primer is additional, you can still prime on the press.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lee-Reloading-Press-Primer-Arm-Large-BP2889B/362100184761
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 18 Nov 2018, 11:17 am

Thanks Blade, always count on you for input... how are those bullpup Rugers going? Last I read you were onto another project, but i haven't caught up with the result?

The more I look, the more confused I get even with just ONE makers gear,...and the more I see $$$ flowing out the wallet rofl.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Nov 2018, 11:17 am

PoorShot300 wrote:Stix,...that seems a reasonable way to go, but if i'm reading what Cooper wrote correctly, the hand primer kit allows me to do both anyway?

NB;... I am learning all this by 'feel' so to speak, with no-one around with either the inclination, or equipment to give me a rundown on all this. Thanks to all for your assistance.

Cheers

Sorry poorshot, i should have mentiined that im not familiar with the lee presses or kits so im unsure...i use a hornady press...i just bought a lee hand prime doova seperately.

Looks like (hopefully) others have clarified your later question. :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition