Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

I've watched the video's of a guy running 77 +80gn in a 527 Varmint out to a 1000yd. I have something big to get me there now, but nothing under a .30 cal.

First read of 1000yd+ on a US long range forum a couple of years ago, which set the bug. Don't know if I'll ever go that far, but 5-600 mtr sure. Reloading is also an area i've toyed with in my mind, but starting on my larger calibre's is too expensive atm, hence the lower mid range choice.

Focus now just getting the kit built up, roll a few recipes, and go shoot in the new bbl and have some fun.

Cheers
Last edited by PoorShot300 on 26 Nov 2018, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:Loved the sales pitch lol, but $$$ & space prohibit how many I can have. With all my combined hobby's I'm runnin outta room here mate. Reality is, I have the small to extreme range covered, but nothing in this calibre range that is affordable, for me, to feed.

rofl.

Just my opinion obviously.
There is not much in AU that you cannot take with some good 223 loads with good shot placement and given the laser type accuracy from most 223’s out to say 400 - shot placement becomes reliant on confidence. That being said - common sense dictates your not going to try and shoot a larger animal at longer distance - be ethical when hunting.
The other bonus with the 223 is that whilst it’s still definitely a centr fire - it does not scare the crap out of every living organism within 1klm...
I now have 3 centrefire rifles and I’m learning about all of them - but there is so darn much to learn - it’s going to take time. If I had have stuck with the 223 alone for a while at least, I would have perfected various aspects by now and well on my way to a deeper understanding of the Calibre.
If target shooting is your thing, some shooters are really pushing the limits of the 223 and knocking circles over 1000 yards...



.223 is not legal for deer in Victoria though, even point-blank.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4420
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 3:38 pm

Yeah, nah...have .30 cals for that, this was for vermin/target shooting.
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Nov 2018, 6:02 pm

Have you considered a Lee loader? Super cheap way to dip your toes into reloading.

https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-308-win.html
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5001
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 6:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:Loved the sales pitch lol, but $$$ & space prohibit how many I can have. With all my combined hobby's I'm runnin outta room here mate. Reality is, I have the small to extreme range covered, but nothing in this calibre range that is affordable, for me, to feed.

rofl.

Just my opinion obviously.
There is not much in AU that you cannot take with some good 223 loads with good shot placement and given the laser type accuracy from most 223’s out to say 400 - shot placement becomes reliant on confidence. That being said - common sense dictates your not going to try and shoot a larger animal at longer distance - be ethical when hunting.
The other bonus with the 223 is that whilst it’s still definitely a centr fire - it does not scare the crap out of every living organism within 1klm...
I now have 3 centrefire rifles and I’m learning about all of them - but there is so darn much to learn - it’s going to take time. If I had have stuck with the 223 alone for a while at least, I would have perfected various aspects by now and well on my way to a deeper understanding of the Calibre.
If target shooting is your thing, some shooters are really pushing the limits of the 223 and knocking circles over 1000 yards...



.223 is not legal for deer in Victoria though, even point-blank.


Correct if wrong but 243 def isn’t either and for some species 6.5 is illegal....
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 255
Tasmania

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 8:36 pm

Iirc, in Tassie it's .270 as a minimum?
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Nov 2018, 9:15 pm

We only have fallow down here - and not huge ones...
The regs advise :
using a minimum legal firearm calibre of not less than 6mm, which is capable of delivering a projectile having kinetic energy of 1350 joules at a distance of 100 metres from the rifle. It is suggested a calibre .243 or greater be used...
I think 270 minimum for sambar in Vic.

I know they have to draw a line but a 300win in the rump vs a 233 in the brain...and...it’s not black and white.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 255
Tasmania

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 26 Nov 2018, 11:37 pm

Yeah, as noted i wasn't sure of it being Tassie, and Vic was going to be my other go-to. Obviously the Irish in me made the choice on that one... lol..

In other news, I have just hit the button on the Lee Breech Lock S/Stage hand loading kit, a quick trim die to do on the press, and a 4x bullet die set. PTA in tomorrow, and hopefully by weeks end, components & rifle ordered.

If the thread ends here, my appreciation & thanks to those who read &/or contributed, this is what keeps me, and I'm sure others, in coming back. The variety of advice re: projies, powders & primers has given me a wide enough base to begin my foray without too much overload for a newbie.

I'd like to keep this going if any have say, hints/tips, perhaps when is appropriate to anneal cases, how often you full size, do you usually time annealing & full body size at the same time, and what do you look for etc. , i'd be only too happy to read it, along with the specific interest classifications in the menu.

Overloading etc is not in my list of interest for safety reasons, even though I'm aware others have done it, I'm in no hurry to try. Same as chasing speeds, as I don't have a chrony, my focus will be with load/impact sweet spots for some time i guess, and without the chrony the numbers wont mean as much as the balanced load with what I have on hand at the time.

Gypsy
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by bladeracer » 27 Nov 2018, 12:47 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Correct if wrong but 243 def isn’t either and for some species 6.5 is illegal....


.243 is legal for the smaller breeds, not the big three. 6.5mm is in the same boat - the bigger deer require .270 or bigger.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4420
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by bladeracer » 27 Nov 2018, 12:58 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Overloading etc is not in my list of interest for safety reasons, even though I'm aware others have done it, I'm in no hurry to try. Same as chasing speeds, as I don't have a chrony, my focus will be with load/impact sweet spots for some time i guess, and without the chrony the numbers wont mean as much as the balanced load with what I have on hand at the time.

Gypsy


I load for a lot of cartridges. The only one that I have any need to even load near factory levels is the .204, it just seems to get more accurate the harder you push it. I literally cannot fit any more powder in the case as it is heaped above the case mouth, but it doesn't offer any pressure signs despite being beyond ADI listed max.

Everything else I load either for accuracy or for pleasure. Accuracy is usually found somewhere short of hot loads. The pleasure of shooting a lot of ammo in a session with minimal noise, recoil or cost is usually found well below factory levels.

When you do your load development inspect the primers, use a loupe if you prefer. For me there tends to be a point at which they no longer look like freshly-seated primers. I start to see the curved outer edge of the primer just slightly begin to flatten out This is generally still well short of factory pressure though. Once you start pushing past factory levels of pressure you need to be measuring the case head rather than reading anything useful from the primer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4420
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 27 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

No worries Blade, I'll keep those pressure indicators in mind.
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

Update;... the Lee Challenger kit showed up today, along with 300+ once fired ADI cases. So now have all the ingredients, but no annealer or tumbler as yet.

What do you lot use to anneal with? I've seen a few 'projects' on Y-tube, but what economical annealers are being used, and what cost? Where are you buying them from?

Rifle now paid for and awaiting delivery. Got caught up in a bait-&-switch as the Varmint laminate is no longer available, so had to pony up another $150 to get the Thumbhole version. Not happy bout that, so it better be a shooter..

Cheers
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Dec 2018, 1:40 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Update;... the Lee Challenger kit showed up today, along with 300+ once fired ADI cases. So now have all the ingredients, but no annealer or tumbler as yet.

What do you lot use to anneal with? I've seen a few 'projects' on Y-tube, but what economical annealers are being used, and what cost? Where are you buying them from?

Rifle now paid for and awaiting delivery. Got caught up in a bait-&-switch as the Varmint laminate is no longer available, so had to pony up another $150 to get the Thumbhole version. Not happy bout that, so it better be a shooter..

Cheers


Just a suggestion and my opinion based on limited experience - maybe give the “annealing” step a miss for a while? I know many shooters who have never taken it on - it can be time consuming and difficult to get right without proper experience/ gear.

You’ll still get quite a number of shots out of your brass, especially in the smaller caliber.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 255
Tasmania

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 1:49 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Update;... the Lee Challenger kit showed up today, along with 300+ once fired ADI cases. So now have all the ingredients, but no annealer or tumbler as yet.

What do you lot use to anneal with? I've seen a few 'projects' on Y-tube, but what economical annealers are being used, and what cost? Where are you buying them from?

Rifle now paid for and awaiting delivery. Got caught up in a bait-&-switch as the Varmint laminate is no longer available, so had to pony up another $150 to get the Thumbhole version. Not happy bout that, so it better be a shooter..

Cheers


Annealing and tumbling?
I do neither. Tumbling makes the brass shiny, I don't need that. Keep it clean and you won't need to clean it, I never have.
Annealing is something you do with expensive brass to prolong the life, really not required on readily-available brass.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4420
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

Hmmm, i keep reading once fired will need to be annealed as it's fire formed in an AR-15 (or military equivalent) chamber, or are you suggesting I just do a full length resize and go from there? I have read of shooters not worrying about annealing, but that's usually for brass only fired in their own rifle.

BR?... you don't even clean the burnt powder out of your cases & primer pockets?
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 2:39 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Hmmm, i keep reading once fired will need to be annealed as it's fire formed in an AR-15 (or military equivalent) chamber, or are you suggesting I just do a full length resize and go from there? I have read of shooters not worrying about annealing, but that's usually for brass only fired in their own rifle.

BR?... you don't even clean the burnt powder out of your cases & primer pockets?


You don't need to anneal once-fired brass, just FLS or neck-size them if they chamber fine in your rifle.
Some top-tier competition shooters anneal their brass every load, not because it requires it, just to have consistent neck tension.
Annealing softens the case neck before it hardens and splits. Depending on your loads and firearm, this might be needed after two firings, or thirty firings of the case. If it's at two firings you might spend the money on simply buying more brass, load them twice and bin them than spending the money on an annealing setup to anneal them every second shot. If they're lasting ten firings I'd just replace the brass anyway.

If you are forming cases from something else that is very different, annealing helps the forming process without tearing or buckling the case.

I can't see any value at all in cleaning the inside of the cases. Primer pockets rarely get dirty in my experience, although possibly reaming the pockets, as I do with all my new brass, makes the surface smoother so the crud doesn't stick?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4420
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2018, 2:46 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Hmmm, i keep reading once fired will need to be annealed as it's fire formed in an AR-15 (or military equivalent) chamber, or are you suggesting I just do a full length resize and go from there?


Once-fired brass could come from any number of firearms. The ideal is to buy privately from somebody that has fired the same brand in the same rifle - spotlighters are good for bulk .204, .223, .243, etc if they're burning up factory ammo. I picked up a lot of Hornady .204 brass from a local spotlighter here.

Commercial once-fired military brass - 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, .50BMG, and such - is most likely to have come from military chambers, but not always, lots of people shoot military ammo in their civilian rifles. If it won't chamber comfortably in your rifle them FLS it, bumping the shoulder back just enough to allow it to chamber, and start fresh. If it chambers fine you can just neck-size it. One thing I'd recommend avoiding with military once-fired is crimped primer pockets, what an unnecessary pain in the butt they are. And some commercial manufacturers run off their civilian chamberings on the same machinery as their milspec stuff, so they get crimped as well - like Federal .223Rem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4420
Victoria

Re: Lee (open to others also) reloaders please assist?

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Dec 2018, 3:33 pm

I can't say definitively they were from the one rifle, it was an online purchase, and the seller just said the rounds went through an AR-15 so it might not have even been military...

Guess I'm good to go and just FLS them all, then weight batch them for refilling. Gives me a chance to get the press set up and the cases ready while waiting for the rifle to arrive.
PoorShot300
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 123
Victoria

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Reloading ammunition