Handloading Black Widow projectiles for 357 Magnum

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Handloading Black Widow projectiles for 357 Magnum

Post by Sydneywizard » 21 Nov 2018, 1:59 pm

I am new to pistol handloading but not new to handloading as I handload rifle cartridges for PRS matches. I recently acquired a Taurus 66 in 357 Magnum and the primary purpose of the gun is to be used in IPSC matches. I am looking at either using Black Widow's .38 145G RNFB or Black Widow's .38 160G RNBB. I intend using ADI AP70N however, I am not certain about loads for either projectile.

If anyone is familiar with the projectile, can you have a quick look at ADI's data and suggest a starting load?
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Handloading Black Widow projectiles for 357 Magnum

Post by Butch6.5 » 26 Nov 2018, 7:07 am

Hey wizard welcome to the wonderful world of the 357 magnum .
I have been running my Smith and Wesson 686 for many years without any trouble and must admit it is both the most fun and reliable of any of my pistols .
I was given a couple of boxes of both the 145 and 160 grain a while ago and found that there was little difference when it comes to target shooting
Due to stock shortages I was not always able to find the same projectiles and constantly having to change my load data I bit the bullit ( no pun intended ) and got into casting my own projectiles and it was the best thing I ever did.
For a once off fee of less than $200 I got a bottom pouring smelter, Lee 148 grain SWC mold , a bottle of allox liquid lube and sizing die and have been making free projectiles ever since, they are as good as bought ones and I can shoot a whole lot more as now I only pay for powder and primer.
I use AP70 as I have found it to be perfect for me, as far as load data for black widow I can’t find anything for 145 or 160 grain in the ADI book ( single action cast data ) page 274
The closest data would be 148 grsin LHBWC data using AP70 staring load COL1.290” 3.5 grains max at 4 grains making between 880 FPS to 989 FPS with a small pistol magnum primer
For my cast 148 grain semi wad cutters I have found 3.9 grains of AP70 with a magnum primer to be perfect still holding the 357 punch with great accuracy
All these ADI data loads are for 357 cases not 38 special
Hope this helps and great shooting
Butch6.5
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Nov 2018, 5:37 pm

I have not used these projectiles and I don't know how hard the coating is. I would try not to mark or peel off the coating when seating the bullet. A good chamfer and a bit of graphite lube may help. If it is peeling off the coating, try a little less neck tension.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cflake » 26 Nov 2018, 8:36 pm

I've used the 145gr Spartan SWC using 6.2gr of AP70N and magnum primer with no issues over 100 rounds, but I'm new to reloading so if you're saying 4.0gr max then I'm glad I didn't blow myself up!

I was using the 146gr Speer JHP load data on the ADI website, which recommends between 6.0-6.5gr AP70N

Edit: It seems there is a difference between the load data for jacketed vs cast bullets.. well, glad I found that out now!
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Nov 2018, 5:00 am

G'day Sydneywizard,
I don't use 146g anymore but used to load coated RN's with 6.2g for 1100fps in a 6" barrelled 586. My current load is 158g Blackhawke (same coating) SWC with 6.0g of AP70 in all my 357's regardless of length. I shoot Service Match so I need 80% of listed Military load power to qualify, you can load down for IPSC to keep muzzle flip low and recovery quicker, however my loads do make Major, (just, at 173). Use the ADI info from the book or website for 146 or 158 jacketed and drop 10% to start, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition