Projectile advice

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Projectile advice

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Nov 2018, 9:43 am

Stix wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:... ... ...

Seems the more I learn, the more I find I have to learn.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes...it does...

I used to just shoot stuff...load...shoot...dress out & eat it.

Then my mind began to wonder about how far a bullet is seated in the case... :unknown:

I figured the die is adjustable, & it has a fair bit of adjustment, so what happens when this changes :unknown: .

Little did i know at the time, that was me crossing the event horizon into the black hole that is reloading...i cant see that ill ever escape its gravity now... :crazy:

Im glad you've fallen in there with me gaz..it would be horrible to be in here all alone. :lol:

Oh mate, it can be a frustrating place down in the reloading black hole, but when you get all your incantations and ju-ju beads right, it's the sort of thing that makes you giggle with childish glee, huh?

I made a "suck it and see" decision to not worry about seating the Roo Max half a poofteenth from the lands, I stuffed them all the way in to the cannelure, figured it was where it was for a reason.

Tested them and Robert's your Mother's brother!

If the wind here ever drops back below cyclonic, I'll be able to stretch their legs and see how they go past 150.

One thing, now I'm in the hole with you, did you fart in here, or is it just me? :lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Nov 2018, 10:09 am

Help me...I’m falling...
Thank for all replies.
I guess I’ll just have to get out there and shoot more...darn it. But I will use the loads I’ve worked up as potential start points (will go minus 1 to be safe on same weight projectile).

When I mentioned performance- I was thinking poi, but BR did raise interesting point...which is ultimately what I want the rifles to be doing - 1 shot kills and fast take down. I’m still getting my loads sorted and still NEED rifle / shooting time to become more confident before hunting a lot more than I currently do...if that makes sense. Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Nov 2018, 10:17 am

Welcome to the black hole Tas.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 24 Nov 2018, 12:25 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Help me...I’m falling...
Thank for all replies.
I guess I’ll just have to get out there and shoot more...darn it. But I will use the loads I’ve worked up as potential start points (will go minus 1 to be safe on same weight projectile).

When I mentioned performance- I was thinking poi, but BR did raise interesting point...which is ultimately what I want the rifles to be doing - 1 shot kills and fast take down. I’m still getting my loads sorted and still NEED rifle / shooting time to become more confident before hunting a lot more than I currently do...if that makes sense. Cheers.

mate this ballistics thing will do your head in. i went out this morning and just for kicks loaded up some 120 gr nosler bt's for my 6.5x55 , and they shot silly accurate. better than i've ever got with 140's. now i'm re-evaluating 120's v 140's for the game i hunt. :crazy: i suppose if it was easy to work this stuff out it wouldn't be any fun hey ? :lol: :lol: with regard to 50 gr projectiles for my 222, vmax are more explosive, noslers have a thicker base and stay together better. so i intend using noslers as a all rounder for various game weights :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 24 Nov 2018, 1:44 pm

The Nosler Varmageddens are very similar construction to the Vmax pills, and flat bases (same as Vmax).

The Nosler Ballistic Tip - Varmint are a bit heavier built projectile, and they seem to be all boattail.

I think the BT - Hunting projectile are heavier-built again, and they are all boattail(except the .458 pill...).
I dont think there are many calibers where the BT - Hunting and BT - Varmint projectiles overlap.
[Only a few 6mm & 25Cal as far as I can see]

The 110gn .308 Nosler Vamagedden looks to be trying to compete directly with the 110gn Vmax.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Nov 2018, 3:17 pm

Well, just to add to the confusion....... My tikka T3 Hunter in 25-06 will drop federal 117gn and PPU 95 gn factory rounds on a 4" gong out to 300m using the same points of aim. I know it shouldn't work, but it does?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Nov 2018, 3:26 pm

The combinations of variables in developing a recipe for a particular rifle is absolutely mind bending...
Cases, primers, powder type, powder amount, projectiles, seating depths....etc. then there is the environment - humidity, temperature, wind....
I’m not a mathematics major. Utvthere must be thousands of combinations alone, per firearm across what can be controlled...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Nov 2018, 4:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The combinations of variables in developing a recipe for a particular rifle is absolutely mind bending...
Cases, primers, powder type, powder amount, projectiles, seating depths....etc. then there is the environment - humidity, temperature, wind....
I’m not a mathematics major. Utvthere must be thousands of combinations alone, per firearm across what can be controlled...

When all that convoluted complexity stops being daunting and becomes fascinating Tas, you'll know it's got you.

More variables = more testing = more shooting.

Hard to see a downside there, eh?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Nov 2018, 7:33 pm

Bent Arrow, there is only a couple of inches difference in drop between your two bullets in the 25-06 so it is no surprise that they can both strike a four inch target. When practicing for Metalic Silhouette I can hit the 400 metre turkeys with a 50 grain bullet from my 223 when it is sighted in for a 80 grain bullet. The smaller BC is compensated a little bit by the extra speed at shorter ranges.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bristles1 » 25 Nov 2018, 10:00 am

The only true test is in the shooting and the performance on game. I have a 257 Roberts on a Sako action and it shoots the lights out with Nosler Ballistic Tip 100 grns and Sierra Pro Hunters. Performance on pigs is with the Pro hunters as they are designed for tougher game. The BTs handle them but not as consistently. Have shot quite a few red deer with both and they all are dead, so go have fun and try out a few different loads and combos. It can be fun but you may end up like me dozens of different projectile types and weights and dead pigs with all of them. Confusing but fun.
Bristles1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition