High Pressure signs with factory ammo?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

High Pressure signs with factory ammo?

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 6:36 pm

So, whilst running in my new steyr 06 pro hunter I grabbed a few different boxes of hunting loads as well as some 200gn handloads.

One of the boxes was fusion hunting loads - 180gn.
When I took empty cartridges home to do some measuring, I found the used primers on 50% of the fusions to be proud of the pockets by .5 of a mm. (I was going to make a dummy cartridge but the primer stuck out to far) There was no cratering in the primer themselves - it just looked like the start of over pressure...but in a factory load?
I had some big handloads there and they were fine and the Core-Lokt were also fine...anyone experienced this?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: High Pressure signs with factory ammo?

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Nov 2018, 7:42 pm

Suggest you up load a pic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Nov 2018, 7:59 pm

I’ve deprimed them all now.
I couldn’t get me verniers to sit flat whilst they remained. The primers on fusion rounds look different to others - they have a bright blue tinge around them...thought might have something to do with it...being blue.
Bit weird tbh.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 28 Nov 2018, 7:24 am

TassieTiger wrote:So, whilst running in my new steyr 06 pro hunter I grabbed a few different boxes of hunting loads as well as some 200gn handloads.

One of the boxes was fusion hunting loads - 180gn.
When I took empty cartridges home to do some measuring, I found the used primers on 50% of the fusions to be proud of the pockets by .5 of a mm. (I was going to make a dummy cartridge but the primer stuck out to far) There was no cratering in the primer themselves - it just looked like the start of over pressure...but in a factory load?
I had some big handloads there and they were fine and the Core-Lokt were also fine...anyone experienced this?

In fact it is probably a sign of modest pressures.
What is happening is this:
At the instant of ignition the primer is both backing out of the primer pocket as well as driving the case deeper into the chamber. The gentle shoulder on a 30-06 does not help.
There is not enough pressure to stretch the case back to the boltface.
If you are happy with those loads don't lose any sleep over the backed out primers.
If you hand load you will notice that just about all modern shell holders have a groove to accommodate a backed out primer.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Nov 2018, 9:33 am

Thanks SS - makes a lot of sense.
I wasn’t overly concerned but I am if nothing - a lil paranoid with hotter hand loads - examining every cartridge until I’m satisfied. I’m sure I’m not the only one that after firing a medium / hot hand load - your spidey senses click into over drive whilst opening the bolt...”hmmm that was .25 grams heavier to open than the last firing...” - every nerve in your finger tips searching, feeling for something unusual and with factory loads I carelessly just circulate them, believing I’m paying for safety...they say complacency kills.
But now you’ve pointed out the logical reason - all good, keep circulating.
Thank you.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Cooper » 28 Nov 2018, 11:07 am

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve deprimed them all now.
I couldn’t get me verniers to sit flat whilst they remained. The primers on fusion rounds look different to others - they have a bright blue tinge around them...thought might have something to do with it...being blue.
Bit weird tbh.

I think Federal put a blue sealant (lok tight) around the primers. I think I've heard of a Federal brass getting loose primer pockets after only few reloads. Maybe that has something do with it.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Nov 2018, 11:12 am

its low pressure that causes it, not high pressure
every primer backs out of every round when it it fired.
then, pressure stretches or slips the case back tightly against the bolt face and re-seats the primer.
if there isn't enough pressure to stretch the case, or the chamber is too rough to allow the case to slip back, the primer will remain backed out.

It may be excess headspace, but that would usually manifest itself in stretch rings inside the fired cases, and in the extreme, broken cases with the head and about a 1/2" of case ejecting, and the rest of the case stuck in the chamber.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 28 Nov 2018, 5:26 pm

Yep, had it happen on 222 factory and I had the exact same replies. Deprive them , load em up and let them rip.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition