Decapping pin inside case

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Decapping pin inside case

Post by JimTom » 03 Dec 2018, 2:00 pm

G’day Gents

Thought I’d share an experience that happened to me yesterday arvo whilst necksizing some new brass.

I had just finished depriming and necksizing some fired cases, and then went on to necksize some brand new cases and of course I didn’t bother adjusting the decapping pin, so it was still penetrating the flash hole of the new brass whilst necksizing.

Anyhow, during this process the decapping pin removesd itself from the die and ended up inside the case. Obviously loose in the die. Fixed it now. Further to that, I then primed the cases and the pin was still inside the shell unbeknownst to me.

It wasn’t until I removed the die and noticed the pin missing. I searched the floor, no good. It then dawned on me. Must be in one of the cases.

I conducted a search of the cases and yep there it was inside a primed case. I would like to think I would’ve seen it when checking the cases once powder filled, prior to seating the projectile, but you never know.

I shudder to think what may have happened if it got through the cracks and was fired up my barrel.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Decapping pin inside case

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2018, 2:58 pm

JimTom wrote:G’day Gents

Thought I’d share an experience that happened to me yesterday arvo whilst necksizing some new brass.

I had just finished depriming and necksizing some fired cases, and then went on to necksize some brand new cases and of course I didn’t bother adjusting the decapping pin, so it was still penetrating the flash hole of the new brass whilst necksizing.

Anyhow, during this process the decapping pin removesd itself from the die and ended up inside the case. Obviously loose in the die. Fixed it now. Further to that, I then primed the cases and the pin was still inside the shell unbeknownst to me.

It wasn’t until I removed the die and noticed the pin missing. I searched the floor, no good. It then dawned on me. Must be in one of the cases.

I conducted a search of the cases and yep there it was inside a primed case. I would like to think I would’ve seen it when checking the cases once powder filled, prior to seating the projectile, but you never know.

I shudder to think what may have happened if it got through the cracks and was fired up my barrel.

Incredible. What brand of dies use a decapper so short?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Dec 2018, 3:54 pm

I have a foster die and I think it comes off a mandrel. Lee won't have this issue
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Dec 2018, 3:55 pm

Mate they are Redding dies.
Decapping pin in 3/4” long. Guessing that it would’ve ended up covered in powder and not visible.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2018, 4:21 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate they are Redding dies.
Decapping pin in 3/4” long. Guessing that it would’ve ended up covered in powder and not visible.

I had a look at their website, it looks like the mandrel is a separate piece that screws onto the end of the decapping rod? So that piece can come loose and drop off inside the case?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Dec 2018, 4:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Mate they are Redding dies.

I had a look at their website, it looks like the mandrel is a separate piece that screws onto the end of the decapping rod? So that piece can come loose and drop off inside the case?

100% correct Sir. I now know to check the security of the pin prior to every use.
Had I have been decapping as well as neck sizing I would have discovered the separation immediately.
Lesson learned.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

JimTom wrote:100% correct Sir. I now know to check the security of the pin prior to every use.
Had I have been decapping as well as neck sizing I would have discovered the separation immediately.
Lesson learned.

I wonder how many of these pieces have managed to unknowingly take game :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Dec 2018, 4:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:100% correct Sir. I now know to check the security of the pin prior to every use.
Lesson learned.

;-) ;-)

Every chance in the world.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Dec 2018, 4:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lesson learned.

:lol:
And re-cut some rifling... :lol:
(id say its unlikely, surely people would notice the lack of resistance when sizing the neck)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 03 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Lesson learned.

:lol:
And re-cut some rifling... :lol:
(id say its unlikely, surely people would notice the lack of resistance when sizing the neck)

Only the actual pin that can seperate mate. Makes no difference when neck sizing.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition