STEYR Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: STEYR Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 3:15 am

I'd very much doubt any mag would publish a story on it mate, they like the $$$ more than the truth (after all that's how they survive (advertising) and I can't see any of them wanting to say anything bad about their advertisers.
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Feb 2019, 11:27 am

True. Unfortunately...
I’d love for them to put into print re steyrs response so prospective purchasers know what they are in for.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 12:00 pm

TassieTiger wrote:True. Unfortunately...
I’d love for them to put into print re steyrs response so prospective purchasers know what they are in for.

Thy mighty $$$ and bottom line always comes first before the truth sadly. Anyway you have alerted people to the potential Customer Relations issues - If it were me I'd be asking for my $$$ back and go a different brand, hopefully you get better results going that way. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by bigrich » 11 Feb 2019, 3:48 pm

well i know one thing fellas , after hearing about taz's situation i won't be buying a steyr anytime soon . i was at "gun world" gun shop a while ago and the sales guys were pushing steyrs, if it happened again i would definately say no thanks and relate this story....... :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

PS i know a fella who has a 308 steyr that's a tack driver, but if their not going to give good customer support , they can K.M.A !
bigrich
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Feb 2019, 3:51 pm

SO - major update.

Winchester has now offered to replace the rifle...
They haven’t made any other stipulations other than they believe this is over and above...
This is positive and a step forward but...

The problem is - if they replace like for like, it’s a lucky dip and I could find myself in the same situation.

So I’ve given them 3 options to now consider;
A fully tested and guaranteed replacement with proof of testing (180gn projectiles).
A full refund inclusive of ancillaries.
A credit with a further discount to a proven and guaranteed steyr platform - ie discounted upgrade.

Will now await again their response - I’m still fully prepared to formalise a complaint...but I think Winchester have a good chance to restore some faith here...

Tas.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

TassieTiger wrote:SO - major update.

They haven’t made any other stipulations other than they believe this is over and above...

The problem is - if they replace like for like, it’s a lucky dip and I could find myself in the same situation.

A fully tested and guaranteed replacement with proof of testing (180gn projectiles).
A credit with a further discount to a proven and guaranteed steyr platform - ie discounted upgrade.

Will now await again their response - I’m still fully prepared to formalise a complaint...but I think Winchester have a good chance to restore some faith here...

Tas.

Sounds like you given them some very fair options there, two of which keep you as a customer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 11 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

TassieTiger wrote:SO - major update.

Tas.

geez ,decisions mate ! ya gotta do what's right for you . if it were me i would try for a full refund but try another brand that winchester sell maybe ? browning x-bolt ? winchester xpr ? just a thought mate. i hope it works out for you . just "stick to your guns" :lol: :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

Full refund or insist they guarantee moa with 180g (in writting)

Then buy something they don't import.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Feb 2019, 10:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Full refund or insist they guarantee moa with 180g (in writting)

:clap:
:thumbsup:
:D

Who you been dealing with there Tas...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2019, 5:12 am

What ppl don't realise is if he gets a new replacement they're likely to still make a profit. Just a bit less. They will just sell the dodgy one as "shop soiled".
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Feb 2019, 7:11 am

Stix wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Full refund or insist they guarantee moa with 180g (in writting)

:clap:
:thumbsup:
:D

Who you been dealing with there Tas...?

Mr Aaron Edmondson is the Tech sales and Service Officer and predominantly dealing with me - with Mr Brian Mortensen in the background.
I don't know whom their gunsmith is.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 12 Feb 2019, 8:07 am

schwarz gunsmith bannockburn :thumbsup:

a replacement would be good if they can assure you that it will shoot the 180's :drinks:

there are plenty of good story's about the steyr, it's just you have been tested by the salesman :wtf:
how many people have had similar problems with all sorts of brands and just give up and accept that that is the way it is :crazy: :unknown:
if you had listened to the salesman you wouldn't have pushed back Tassie but it's all good now :drinks:
marksman
Major
Major

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Feb 2019, 8:50 am

My understanding of Australian Consumer law is that if the item sold is not fit for purpose and has a major defect then the vendor must provide you with a replacement or full refund whichever YOU prefer. Here is the link to the ACCC website:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... nd#repairs
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2019, 8:58 am

marksman wrote:schwarz gunsmith bannockburn :drinks:

Has been for years
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Feb 2019, 9:00 am

Not exactly true Bruiser.
It depends on the type of item and whether the item is deemed to have a minor, medium or major issue as to what the next step is from there.
PPL I know very close, had a very faulty couch (springs let go) that was covered by ACL and the manufacturer argued that the couch could still be used so it was a minor fault and therefore a repair was warranted over a refund.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Feb 2019, 9:24 am

marksman wrote:schwarz gunsmith bannockburn :thumbsup:

a replacement would be good if they can assure you that it will shoot the 180's :drinks:

there are plenty of good story's about the steyr, it's just you have been tested by the salesman :wtf:
how many people have had similar problems with all sorts of brands and just give up and accept that that is the way it is :crazy: :unknown:
if you had listened to the salesman you wouldn't have pushed back Tassie but it's all good now :drinks:

Your a funny man MM lol.
And yes - your again correct - I would have spent additional time and money trying to get the bloomin thing shooting, had you not have given me the little push at the end.

I know a couple of people on here currently have issues with their own rifles / guarantees and were not sure how to proceed so hopefully this has shown them it can be done...at least to a point.
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Feb 2019, 8:25 pm

So, I’m advised today that Winchester are going to try and test some rifles to see if they can get them shooting 180gns accurately - and then swap my rifle for one of those...IF they cannot mange to get the 180’s shooting - they will be refunding purchase price.

Their gun Smith is apparently away / tied up for a week so should know wtf is going on this time next week.

All said and done - cannot ask for much more than this.
It’s a shame it had to get to this stage but it’s also good that we don’t have to involve 3rd parties so I’m pretty happy. I can understand Winchester’s position, they are the importer somewhat let down by steyr...
Tikka T3 .260
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Webley .177
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06
TassieTiger
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Feb 2019, 9:10 pm

Do they make Man Lickers in 375 Ruger? That will shoot 180+ grain projectiles no problem at all.
SCJ429
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition