STEYR Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

The Bryn Litz article is Epicyclic Swerve, my understanding from reading the article was that he could no produce better MOA groups at longer distances due to the damping of the pitch and yaw of the bullet. I may have to re- read the article.

A manufactures claim may be valid if their skilled operator can produce the results with ammunition suited to the rifle. It appears that 90% of hunters cannot pick suitable ammunition or have the skills to get the job done. Shooting well is difficult, it takes a lot of practice. I learn something new all the time.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 9:37 pm

You do know it's a hunting rifle not a target rifle? 30mm group would be fine for this rifles intended purpose. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 13 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

I helped do some load development with a very skilled shooter on the weekend. We were using two chronos the Ohler a standard in the industry perfectly set up and a magneto speed. Turned out there was a pretty constant difference so either result was acceptable.
He shot quite a few loads 3 of each in 0.2 gn steps. He plotted the MV increase against load and had a linear line to a point say of 20fps per 0.2 grn then reached a point where the again linear line changed to 10 fps per 0.2 grn.

He is a excellent shooter however the groupings which were shot on individual target so the group and the horizontal step could be seen. Well the result was not a conclusive elevation against MV nor where the evident Nodes.

We have concluded it is about achieving the MV that you are after for that particular bullet there is a sweet spot in MV and BC. Then adjust seating depth to achieve a good group.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Dec 2018, 9:52 pm

bigfellascott wrote:You do know it's a hunting rifle not a target rifle? 30mm group would be fine for this rifles intended purpose. :unknown:

Yeah, I know...it’s also a lightweight hunting rifle, this part of my question is, is this acceptable...
I guess I’m wanting to meet manufacturers claims of 1 inch, 3 shot group at 100m and I want to be able to do that reliably.
It may well be that 200gn projectiles are not conducive to being Moa in this rifle...I get that...I’m just testing / seeking knowledge.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Dec 2018, 9:55 pm

sungazer wrote:I helped do some load development with a very skilled shooter on the weekend. We were using two chronos the Ohler a standard in the industry perfectly set up and a magneto speed. Turned out there was a pretty constant difference so either result was acceptable.
He shot quite a few loads 3 of each in 0.2 gn steps. He plotted the MV increase against load and had a linear line to a point say of 20fps per 0.2 grn then reached a point where the again linear line changed to 10 fps per 0.2 grn.

He is a excellent shooter however the groupings which were shot on individual target so the group and the horizontal step could be seen. Well the result was not a conclusive elevation against MV nor where the evident Nodes.

We have concluded it is about achieving the MV that you are after for that particular bullet there is a sweet spot in MV and BC. Then adjust seating depth to achieve a good group.

.2gn steps is another level all together. I wouldn’t even trust my hornady scales to be consistent enough, in a black roof shed with high/low humidity to weigh .2 accurately.
I did test down to .5gn with my 223...
I do think I’ll be buying a chrono in the future...Bug has bitten.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 10:12 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:You do know it's a hunting rifle not a target rifle? 30mm group would be fine for this rifles intended purpose. :unknown:

Yeah, I know...it’s also a lightweight hunting rifle, this part of my question is, is this acceptable...
I guess I’m wanting to meet manufacturers claims of 1 inch, 3 shot group at 100m and I want to be able to do that reliably.
It may well be that 200gn projectiles are not conducive to being Moa in this rifle...I get that...I’m just testing / seeking knowledge.

So what's the rifle used for ie hunting or target shooting? and yes a 30mm group is more than enough to shoot animals with at normal hunting type ranges.

What are you intending hunting with it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm

If you look at the 3rd photo - 83.60, that group measured 21mm. Good enough for deer and roo as long as it will be consistent.
The issue for me, especially early in, was the 3+ inch spreads from some of the other ammo - in particular some of the factory ammo that is 2-3mm shorter in length was spraying.
I’ve now fired 3 types of factory ammo through this rifle and cannot better 2.5 inch groupings. Hand loading - yes, i’m getting there...I will make it shoot darn the world!!!

Now, if you weren’t a hand loader and bought a brand new (yes - light weight, carry around sporting gun with fluted barrel) rifle for $1400 that was shooting 60-75mm groupings - would you be content? Serious question...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2018, 7:22 am

Your 30-06 will be able to shoot better than two inch groups, probably better than MOA with the projectiles you are using. Yes factory hunting rifles have the potential. A friends Winchester extreme weather M70 has a light fluted barrel. Shoots factory loads into two inch groups. With some basic load development using SMK it can produce groups in the .4s off a bipod. This is a 7mm Remington Magnum and I have to shoot very slowly so I don't cook the barrel.

I used SMK because I had them lying around in the shed, he doesn't use them for hunting.

Keep at it, you will get there, and it is great practice.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 7:52 am

TassieTiger wrote:If you look at the 3rd photo - 83.60, that group measured 21mm. Good enough for deer and roo as long as it will be consistent.
The issue for me, especially early in, was the 3+ inch spreads from some of the other ammo - in particular some of the factory ammo that is 2-3mm shorter in length was spraying.
I’ve now fired 3 types of factory ammo through this rifle and cannot better 2.5 inch groupings. Hand loading - yes, i’m getting there...I will make it shoot darn the world!!!

Now, if you weren’t a hand loader and bought a brand new (yes - light weight, carry around sporting gun with fluted barrel) rifle for $1400 that was shooting 60-75mm groupings - would you be content? Serious question...

no feckin way would I be happy
even at 30mm it would be gone back to be checked out and fixed
that rifle should be shooting 1/2 moa with factory ammo

the reason for the hunting accuracy proverb is the american hunters that can hit a bucket sized object with there 30-30 are only shooting at 50 yard distances and dont care enough if they spoil meat, having an accurate rifle is very important, 3 shots into a 10 cent piece at 100 is minimum for hunting
one ragged hole is better :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Dec 2018, 9:25 am

marksman wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:If you look at the 3rd photo - 83.60, that group measured 21mm. Good enough for deer and roo as long as it will be consistent.

the reason for the hunting accuracy proverb is the american hunters that can hit a bucket sized object with there 30-30 are only shooting at 50 yard distances and dont care enough if they spoil meat, having an accurate rifle is very important, 3 shots into a 10 cent piece at 100 is minimum for hunting

Its amazing what some people are happy with when it comes to accuracy.

Ive seen rifles sighted in with groups in the order of--& im not kidding--6"-8" for goat smashing...& that is off the bench...!!
Imagine a group off the shoulder... :crazy:
Poor goats...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 9:28 am

That's about what my Tikka 308 does with the factory ammo I've tested in it, and no it's ordinary but it had killed everything I've pointed it at so far :unknown: but I know it will shoot better than that if I try a few more brands but for me that isn't worth the effort as I reload so will find a combo that will make it shoot fine I'm sure (I honestly think it's the stock it's in at the moment) I have a couple of other options (plastic HACK SPIT or a Lam one) so will experiment with those before I venture down the reload path (everythings there ready for reloads) but I just want to test my theory out first then go from there.

The way I look at all this stuff is I'm happy if the first shot on a cold bore is on the money or close to it as that's all I need generally to get the job done, it's not too often I have to follow up with another shot anyway.

I reckon what you should do is set up a few targets at whatever distance you like and just take a shot at each one with say 5mins between shots and just see how it gos in a more realistic hunting scenario. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Dec 2018, 9:47 am

marksman wrote:

Based on the fact the manufacturers “only” claim Moa “capability” (and that term is important), I don’t think you’d find any retail outlet that would accept your wants here at 1/2 Moa.

I knew what I was buying - I have the same rifle (223) in a heavy barrel, but I wanted a light weight walker, so I knew I’d be giving up some consistency and some accuracy.

I guess it’s a matter of perspective - what is reasonable spread from a hunt load. 6” for goats is disgusting - I’m sorry, but I wouldn’t shoot with ppl that thought it was okay...but then I’d agree that 2 inches would be fine for goats...I’d prefer 1 inch consistency but I’d live with 2.

For the sake of curiosity and obtaining knowledge more so than anything - I’ll email Steyr, send them my 3 pages of load test / data and see what they say.
Cheers for the discussion - Tas.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 1:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
marksman wrote:

Based on the fact the manufacturers “only” claim Moa “capability” (and that term is important), I don’t think you’d find any retail outlet that would accept your wants here at 1/2 Moa.

I knew what I was buying - I have the same rifle (223) in a heavy barrel, but I wanted a light weight walker, so I knew I’d be giving up some consistency and some accuracy.

I guess it’s a matter of perspective - what is reasonable spread from a hunt load. 6” for goats is disgusting - I’m sorry, but I wouldn’t shoot with ppl that thought it was okay...but then I’d agree that 2 inches would be fine for goats...I’d prefer 1 inch consistency but I’d live with 2.

For the sake of curiosity and obtaining knowledge more so than anything - I’ll email Steyr, send them my 3 pages of load test / data and see what they say.
Cheers for the discussion - Tas.

:lol: :lol: no worrie's Tassie good luck :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2018, 2:01 pm

tassy tiger quit full length sizing ya brass, its generally not need and certainly doesnt aid accuracy

SCJ429 yes I suspect this 6.5 grendel has more in it but with the current stock and plastic bottom metal are holding it back.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 2:27 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I spent all my money on optics but if I had a GoPro that would work well. Nice one BR.

The cheap Chinese copies work just fine and you won't be so upset when you shoot them :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

Bill wrote:tassy tiger quit full length sizing ya brass, its generally not need and certainly doesnt aid accuracy

SCJ429 yes I suspect this 6.5 grendel has more in it but with the current stock and plastic bottom metal are holding it back.

I hear ya. Neck sizing from now on only. It was the way I was shown early on but I now understand adjustments of the dies so can control better.

Went back to lgs from whence I bought rifle (I do enjoy a good / candid relationship their) and discussed the outcomes / findings with the steyr 06...their opinion was that the200gn’s eldx - whilst okay to shoot for x large animals, is far from optimum when testing up a load in this barrel - because of the heat generated by the larger projectile.
This might account for the vertical stringing - because 2 shots seemed good, 3 rd shot always the flyer on at least majority of loads.

They said if the rifle is sent back for verification and they can make it shoot as claimed, Then the company (steyr) oncharge range time, ammunition (should only be 3 bullets lol), post costs, marksman time, etc could be $4-600.
He said - this is the case with 99.9% of rifles that he has sent away to be checked...in their opinion, you just don’t get poorly shooting rifles in that price bracket anywhere as near as much as people think.
He did discuss expectations with light weight hunter barrels vs heavy weight varmint styles but agreed that a consistent 1 to 1.5 Moa should be achievable at least 80% of the time.
Their recommendation was to try some SST 150gns - redo the load testing and use .3 under Max coal as a start point. If these SST’s don’t group better then they want rifle back to check locally - (suspect they’ll range test) and then if same results...she will be posted away for factory checking.

I honestly do not think it will come to that - I did get some decent groupings with the 200’s but will see how we go with 25% lighter loads and neck sized cases only.

Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 3:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I tested 2 x 3 shot groupings for each length bullet.
The longest was just touching the lands at 83.93 (absolute max in this is 83.95).
I went down .3 each load to 79.7 - I just didn’t put up 20 photos.
The 83.60 was clearly the best of the bunch but, there was significant vertical stringing as can be seen from a fellow shooter in last photo.
The cases are all once fired hunting (fusion) cases - full length resized.
That being said - neck tension WAS different per load, I could feel it as I was seating some bullets - some would almost fall in and others were a little extra...which didn’t overly concern me.

I guess my question now - if you bought a hunting rifle, brand new and grabbed some middle of the road counter ammo, went out and tried to zero your scope but couldn’t get better than 2-3 inch groups, would you return said rifle or it is what it is? There must be a LOT of hunters who don’t reload and based on my groupings - they’d be missing a shed load...
Yes - the 83.60 groupings look like getting better and there is now more development needed (up in charge I suspect based on advice) but how many ppl would not be happy / would be happy with this performance? (Assuming of course I am not a half wit and can pull a trigger now and again lol)

If I wasn't a reloader I would probably return any new bolt-action centrefire rifle that didn't shoot consistent 100m MoA straight out of the box.

As a reloader that doesn't put any factory ammo through them though I expect the same, but if they don't, I'm happy to work with them to see if they improve :-)

But, I would shoot enough rounds in a test to determine if that load has any potential or not, while ensuring I'm not making decisions based on anomaly or measuring a small part of a larger group size. If groups have fliers or are not throwing a neat pattern I just figure the consistent group size is quite large, even if I get some decent-sized clusters.

I lean toward it being more likely a problem with the rifle/scope/rest than the ammo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 3:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

Would any manufacturer mix inches and meters in the same statement? One-inch at 100m is well under 1MoA.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Would any manufacturer mix inches and meters in the same statement? One-inch at 100m is well under 1MoA.

The only rifle I've ever bought with a 1moa Gtee is my Tikka and it hasn't lived up to that so far using premium ammo :unknown: Do I care NO! as I know I will be able to get it to shoot better with some handloads and possibly a change of stock (which will be the first thing I do) then set about knocking up some handloads for it.

Funny thing is I shoot 3 shot groups with it and they average around 2" I guess but the first shot seems to be on the money for the first shot in each group so it will certainly get the job done in the paddock, not much good at the range which is fine as it's not a target rifle it's a hunting rifle so it's not that big a deal to me if it's not a "Tack Driver all day long" I don't need it to be, it just has to lob the first round where I want it and so far it's been able to do that. :drinks:

Not sure what you are getting at re the 1moa at 100m? :unknown:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 14 Dec 2018, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

100 yards is about 91 metres from memory - so yes - your correct, I am shooting in excess of the manufactures claims - about 10% longer.

I hear what your saying bladeR - but from what I’ve been told, it’s likely that you’d find yourself with a $600 bill and a returned rifle - with no amendments.
My advice is that the steyr factory would have shot this rifle before leaving factory with high spec premium ammunition and recorded a Moa group. If I return the rifle - The Moa card recorded against this serial no will be pulled, details replicated exactly and as long as those results are within 20% of original - they’ve met their obligations and you’ve now got a large bill. They allow a 20% change - due to possible damage in post/transit (I know right - crazy) also need to Keep in mind - their premium ammunition for an 06 could be from 110gns on upwards - to 230gns and precision weighted, precision loads, temp controlled barrel, etc etc etc.
A Moa claim on a rifle is almost impossible to disprove (unless it’s mentally bent or something).

It’s an interesting situation - again, I need to stress - I am not unhappy with the rifle, I know it will shoot, I need to work out the parameters it likes.

How many people are out there that buy a new gun that has an advertised accuracy rating confirmed by a fancy magazine write up marksman with years of experience- that they then try and emulate and can’t get near...I bet there are thousands...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:52 pm

TassieTiger wrote:100 yards is about 91 metres from memory - so yes - your correct, I am shooting in excess of the manufactures claims - about 10% longer.

I hear what your saying bladeR - but from what I’ve been told, it’s likely that you’d find yourself with a $600 bill and a returned rifle - with no amendments.
My advice is that the steyr factory would have shot this rifle before leaving factory with high spec premium ammunition and recorded a Moa group. If I return the rifle - The Moa card recorded against this serial no will be pulled, details replicated exactly and as long as those results are within 20% of original - they’ve met their obligations and you’ve now got a large bill. They allow a 20% change - due to possible damage in post/transit (I know right - crazy) also need to Keep in mind - their premium ammunition for an 06 could be from 110gns on upwards - to 230gns and precision weighted, precision loads, temp controlled barrel, etc etc etc.
A Moa claim on a rifle is almost impossible to disprove (unless it’s mentally bent or something).

It’s an interesting situation - again, I need to stress - I am not unhappy with the rifle, I know it will shoot, I need to work out the parameters it likes.

How many people are out there that buy a new gun that has an advertised accuracy rating confirmed by a fancy magazine write up marksman with years of experience- that they then try and emulate and can’t get near...I bet there are thousands...

You do know that your 30mm group is like 2 or 3mm bigger than their 1MOA gtee, not eactly earth shatteringly bad and going to cause any great diff if any in real world hunting situations, no doubt they shoot their group in a enclosed range too - don't worry about all the MOA Bs have you actually tested it out in the field on game or only shot it at the range?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Dec 2018, 5:17 pm

I’ve only shot at my private area, not hunting with it until I understand it’s capability - this group very below measures 21mm - well better than moa at 100 (that’s the gtee, effectively 1 inch group at 100)

But then the exact same load, cool barrel, etc...shot this stringer at top (if that were a roo head shot, might have hit 1 out of 3).
Attachments
52B23A48-7B77-44B3-B844-1BE6958873D6.jpeg
52B23A48-7B77-44B3-B844-1BE6958873D6.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 5604 times
B2563012-A66E-41AA-8E44-7A2EBA7A5304.jpeg
B2563012-A66E-41AA-8E44-7A2EBA7A5304.jpeg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 6:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:100 yards is about 91 metres from memory - so yes - your correct, I am shooting in excess of the manufactures claims - about 10% longer.

It's quite likely, which is why I don't consider warranty to have any value. I have never allowed somebody else to service any new vehicle I've bought because it might void the warranty, it's far more important to me to know the servicing has been done properly, by the bloke that'll be most out of pocket if he screws it up - me!

I've never been swayed by marketing hype about accuracy, and I doubt I've ever bought a firearm that guaranteed any particular level of accuracy.
Any centrefire bolt-rifle that will shoot MoA to 100m straight out of the box is just fine for me, and I know I can tighten it up further if I need to. My lever rifles for example can probably maintain around 3-4MoA at 100m, iron sights, off the bench, with my eyesight, and maybe 2MoA scoped. As far as pure accuracy goes, it sucks, but for the tools I'm using, I already knew they weren't going to shoot like a real rifle :-)

When I'm looking at a rifle I'm unfamiliar with I ignore anything offered by the manufacturer or anybody that makes money out of reviewing firearms, I go to forums where people just like me have paid their hard-earned for the rifle. It doesn't take long to see if owners are particularly happy or unhappy with their purchase.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 6:12 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve only shot at my private area, not hunting with it until I understand it’s capability - this group very below measures 21mm - well better than moa at 100 (that’s the gtee, effectively 1 inch group at 100)

But then the exact same load, cool barrel, etc...shot this stringer at top (if that were a roo head shot, might have hit 1 out of 3).

MoA is roughly one-inch at 100yds, 29mm at 100m.

That's why I don't shoot three-shot groups, it doesn't tell you how the rifle consistently groups.

If you fire thirty rounds and they all fall within a 50mm circle I would say you have found its consistent ability and can be confident that any shot you take will be within 25mm of your point of aim. Likewise, if you shoot ten three-shot groups and lay them over each other, and they all fall within a 50mm circle, then that's how accurate the rifle/load is - even if five of those groups are cloverleafs.

As already mentioned by others though, if it's not a target rifle it doesn't need to be able to shoot groups bigger than two at most. But I totally agree that tighter groups makes load development easier.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 6:49 pm

Tassie
all due respect but ROFL you are being scammed by a salesman :lol:
ring the distributor winchester you may get a surprise :lol:
have a watch of this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsoLYo4xG14
the only thing I would be worried about is shooting reloads under warranty
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Dec 2018, 6:58 pm

Hmmm....that video is interesting...he seems pretty darn confident.

I did email Steyr USA as I said I would but thus far didn’t hear back. I guess Winchester Au is Aust distribution for steyr?
I think my problem as a relatively new shooter is - I don’t know what I don’t know...if the sales guy is telling me it’s fine...as are others on here - then is it okay for what it is - I don’t know?
I do know my other rifles are definitely more consistent but - they are diff profile barrels...
Argghhh...to do...?
Suppose it wont hurt to flick the same email locally and see if they respond. The guy in the vid reckons you can’t find a more accurate out of box rifle....hmmm.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 7:05 pm

marksman wrote:Tassie
all due respect but ROFL you are being scammed by a salesman :lol:
ring the distributor winchester you may get a surprise :lol:
have a watch of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsoLYo4xG14
the only thing I would be worried about is shooting reloads under warranty

If it won't shoot MoA they buy it back - no questions asked!
That means none of this testing rubbish, maybe send that video to the distributor.
Then get a Ruger American :-)

Under Australian Consumer Law I doubt they could void warranty simply from shooting handloaded ammo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 7:19 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve only shot at my private area, not hunting with it until I understand it’s capability - this group very below measures 21mm - well better than moa at 100 (that’s the gtee, effectively 1 inch group at 100)

So what are you going to hunt with it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Dec 2018, 7:24 pm

At the end of all this are you using h/loads or factory loads ?
If it was me i'd use h/loads and go back to scratch look at the specks and powder for the 30-06 in the ADI manual select a midrange weight projectile or the one recommended best in the 30-06 then i'd start with powder weights until I find the best group for that powder then start seating at different depths you will notice almost instantly the change then adjust accordingly all my rifles shoot excellent with ADI powders yet a mate swears by alliant powders yet I can get his rifles shooting just as good with ADI powders so each to their own as far as powders go
Get one bullet, one powder and stick with it until it shoots or is proven it don't work but i'm very doubtful it won't shoot
Good luck
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Dec 2018, 7:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

So what are you going to hunt with it?

Forester Roo and Deer were the candidates.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition