STEYR Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

STEYR Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Dec 2018, 12:12 pm

Spent a good portion of my monthly day off at my local quiet spot - new steyr pro hunter in 30-06 in hand.
M8 x 6 leo scope fitted.
Bench and vice set up at 120 yards.
Numerous 3 inch organge ctargets staples to a huge back board.
165 gn reloads up to max adi
200 gn reloads up to max adi.
180 gn Winchester hunting for comparison.

1st thing - 120yards with this scope is difficult in the heat. Orange dot shimmering but the gun vice helps secure cross hairs but still - maybe I should have moved closer for this set up time...

165 at 54gns - 90mm group...wtf?
The best I shot was a 35mm group with 58gn of AR2209. Not thrilled.

Let barrel cool and start on 200gns.
Similar thing. Some groups were 125mm.
I did find that max load pulled it in to 30mm but still - not great.
So zeroed scoped and tried Winchester hunting rounds (180) and well - I could hear the roo giggling at me. 2 shots were within 30mm and 1 was 3 inches away. Now I’m pretty reasonable at calling my pulls but .... I just don’t know.

I feel like I’ve wasted a day and a lot of ammo.
The rifle was effectively brand new - 20 shots and then cleaned.
I know the brand - steyr and my .223 is a varmint but an absolute laser.

All reloads were .30 from lands. The hunting rounds were another .60 shorter again.

To do??
Take the most accurate findings and try and develop around bullet seating depths?

Get closer and repeat to endure more consistent?

Write it off - hey, everyone has a bad day?

Take rifle back and stamp feet proclaiming that I am a farken crack shot but can’t hit cracks with this ?

The barrel is still finding its feet - put it down to experience and do over?

Procure a more familiar scope and start again ??

Happy to hear thoughts on this one. I did record everything for reference but with groups so wide, I’m not sure it means much.
I’m not knew to developing loads - but thus far, most have gone to plan...this one has me asking more questions than I have answers...??
Last edited by TassieTiger on 08 Feb 2019, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 2:18 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Spent a good portion of my monthly day off at my local quiet spot - new steyr pro hunter in 30-06 in hand.
M8 x 6 leo scope fitted.
Bench and vice set up at 120 yards.
Numerous 3 inch organge ctargets staples to a huge back board.
165 gn reloads up to max adi
200 gn reloads up to max adi.
180 gn Winchester hunting for comparison.

1st thing - 120yards with this scope is difficult in the heat. Orange dot shimmering but the gun vice helps secure cross hairs but still - maybe I should have moved closer for this set up time...

165 at 54gns - 90mm group...wtf?
The best I shot was a 35mm group with 58gn of AR2209. Not thrilled.

Let barrel cool and start on 200gns.
Similar thing. Some groups were 125mm.
I did find that max load pulled it in to 30mm but still - not great.
So zeroed scoped and tried Winchester hunting rounds (180) and well - I could hear the roo giggling at me. 2 shots were within 30mm and 1 was 3 inches away. Now I’m pretty reasonable at calling my pulls but .... I just don’t know.

I feel like I’ve wasted a day and a lot of ammo.
The rifle was effectively brand new - 20 shots and then cleaned.
I know the brand - steyr and my .223 is a varmint but an absolute laser.

All reloads were .30 from lands. The hunting rounds were another .60 shorter again.

To do??
Take the most accurate findings and try and develop around bullet seating depths?

Get closer and repeat to endure more consistent?

Write it off - hey, everyone has a bad day?

Take rifle back and stamp feet proclaiming that I am a farken crack shot but can’t hit cracks with this ?

The barrel is still finding its feet - put it down to experience and do over?

Procure a more familiar scope and start again ??

Happy to hear thoughts on this one. I did record everything for reference but with groups so wide, I’m not sure it means much.
I’m not knew to developing loads - but thus far, most have gone to plan...this one has me asking more questions than I have answers...??

I went to Winchester but they don't list the twist rate, so I downloaded the manual, still nothing.
Google tells me 10"-twist so it should be fine for the 180gn for sure.
What is the 200gn bullet? If it's a VLD it might need a tighter twist, but I'd be surprised if it did.

What exactly is a vice, and why are you using it?
Were you just firing a "locked down" rifle or taking precise aim for every shot?
Did you try shooting over a rest as well?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

I would Really like to know the answers to bladeracer's questions. :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Dec 2018, 2:48 pm

Sorry - Vice is an incorrect term I use...Its a sighting rest that clamps (vice) to my table...sorry for confusion.
The 200's are Hornady low drag, cant exactly call but are ballistic tip.
From memory I was told its a 1:9 twist.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Dec 2018, 2:53 pm

You said mirage was bad at 120yards. What are the temps, hot day? Dub question did you let the barrel cool between shots
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Dec 2018, 3:31 pm

Yes - it was very hot. Air temp was approx 30% but in direct sun felt closer to 38.
No more than 6-7 shots were had inside 10 minute windows. I was very mindful of this.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 11 Dec 2018, 3:49 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Yes - it was very hot. Air temp was approx 30% but in direct sun felt closer to 38.
No more than 6-7 shots were had inside 10 minute windows. I was very mindful of this.

i find my grouping goes to crap on hot days, hot barrel, hot ammo can't be good. this 30-06 of yours usually does better tas ? i got caught out on the weekend with changing primers in 6.5x55 . i normally use fed 210, i ran out and used fed 210 match. my groups went to crap. that and it was hot. you haven't changed anything recently tas ? :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Dec 2018, 3:52 pm

The 30-06 is effectively brand new. I purchased new 3 weeks ago and messed about with 20 over the counter shots to run the barrel in so - I cant say that it usually does better...but i suspect the rifle is not defective. Not in this day and age...
I have a 223 that Ive worked a couple of loads up and am comfortable to hit a golf ball at 250m any day of the week. Same with a 260 rem. This is my first forray into groupings so widespread...I thought maybe the scope potentially faulty but being a leo of older vintage, you'd think not...
This Steyr ALSO has a set trigger on it and I took full advantage of the 0.1kg's required to set it off...but something else is not right.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Sorry - Vice is an incorrect term I use...Its a sighting rest that clamps (vice) to my table...sorry for confusion.

So it doesn't hold onto the rifle at all, the rifle is free to recoil and every shot was carefully aimed individually?
The bullet must be the ELDX, which should shoot great.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 11 Dec 2018, 4:40 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The 30-06 is effectively brand new. I purchased new 3 weeks ago and messed about with 20 over the counter shots to run the barrel in so - I cant say that it usually does better...but i suspect the rifle is not defective. Not in this day and age...
I have a 223 that Ive worked a couple of loads up and am comfortable to hit a golf ball at 250m any day of the week. Same with a 260 rem. This is my first forray into groupings so widespread...I thought maybe the scope potentially faulty but being a leo of older vintage, you'd think not...
This Steyr ALSO has a set trigger on it and I took full advantage of the 0.1kg's required to set it off...but something else is not right.

try it again in the afternoon when it's cooler with some factory "targety" type ammo and see how you go. check the action screw torque ? loose scope mounts ? if the rifle was in the sun for a while maybe the heat was warping the stock and was causing bedding issues ? just throwing around ideas. if you can hit a golf ball at 250 ya must know how to pull a trigger pretty good :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Dec 2018, 5:33 pm

adi 2209 powder
fed 210 primers
win cases
150gr-165gr projectiles
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/
steady rest that the rifle can recoil straight backwards with rear bag

one test at a time :thumbsup:

if its rifle issues, lighten trigger, bed action, polish throat, check crown

I start my testing at 7am before any heat and am finished around 9.30am

:drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Dec 2018, 6:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Sorry - Vice is an incorrect term I use...Its a sighting rest that clamps (vice) to my table...sorry for confusion.

So it doesn't hold onto the rifle at all, the rifle is free to recoil and every shot was carefully aimed individually?
The bullet must be the ELDX, which should shoot great.

It cradles the rifle loosely and is free to Re coil- ask my shoulder lol.
Each shot was carefully aimed - but the 6 x fixed scope was much less magnification than I was used to. (For 223 and 260 - I inch orange dots are targeted - this being a hunting rifle, I went for 3 inch decals.)

I wonder if I stumbled into the worst possible coal for this particular rifle ? From my limited experience I’ve found that .120 off lands can shoot okay...then it has slowly deteriorated to a little silly amount and then has gotten remarkably better closing in on the lands...

It’s a question Ive wondered on for some time - start testing with powder charges OR with different seating depths...

Think I might try diff seating depths with the best of the crap loads, cooler shooting period / day and halve the distance for development until I can at least sort this out.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Dec 2018, 6:14 pm

The 30-06 can be a bit of a handful if you are use to a 223. The gun vice is not doing you any favours. Shoot it off sandbags or a bipod if you don't have a dedicated front rest. Use a rear bag and remove your sling swivels. Do the things Marksman suggested to the rifle and check that the barrel isn't badly copper fouled, you should be able to see it looking down the muzzle. If it is soak it with some decent copper solvent.

You should have too many mirage problems with a low powered scope at short range. It is hard to shoot tight groups with a 6x but it isn't causing you to shoot four inch groups.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 11 Dec 2018, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Dec 2018, 6:22 pm

Start by test different weights of powder charges, then fine tune it with seating depth. Do you initial testing with the bullet close to the lands if you can. Touching to 20 thou off is a good start. Use a chrono if you have one, if your groups are rubbish but your numbers are good, you get some data plus it is a clue to where the issue may be.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 6:23 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It cradles the rifle loosely and is free to Re coil- ask my shoulder lol.
Each shot was carefully aimed - but the 6 x fixed scope was much less magnification than I was used to. (For 223 and 260 - I inch orange dots are targeted - this being a hunting rifle, I went for 3 inch decals.)

I wonder if I stumbled into the worst possible coal for this particular rifle ? From my limited experience I’ve found that .120 off lands can shoot okay...then it has slowly deteriorated to a little silly amount and then has gotten remarkably better closing in on the lands...

It’s a question Ive wondered on for some time - start testing with powder charges OR with different seating depths...

Think I might try diff seating depths with the best of the crap loads, cooler shooting period / day and halve the distance for development until I can at least sort this out.

It might be worth using smaller target dots, I shoot poorly at large aim points. Find something that is just big enough to be clearly visible at that range.

Start with powder charges to determine the elevation node, then mess with seating depths if you need further refinement.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Dec 2018, 7:12 pm

Well, my questions have been answered. Beauty; it's free to recoil :thumbsup: At this stage I usually enquire about the "shape" of the groups. More elevation than wind shots or vice versa?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Dec 2018, 8:11 pm

Hey Tiger mate I had similar problems with a 7mm rem whilst I was shooting target/ hunting bullets I had them close or touching the lands
I put a pic on a post awhile back of 5 shots into a 10 cent piece then decided to go to a harder bullet after getting some advice from this forum
Well ! it went to s@#t 4'' groups couldn't bring them in then I got talking to an old timer and he said to set the depth to what the book asks for so
I did and same projectile and powder they moved to 1''- 2'' with a little fiddling with powder I get 1/2'' for both the standard sp, oryx, tsx all set to
the depth required by the ADI book then for sh@ts and giggles I moved them out in 3 stages and all three opened up the further out they got
Complete opposite to the target/hunting projectiles ELDX, VLD, ELDM of which I have used
Not saying this is your problem but i'd be trying it as if they don't shoot half good with book requirements then it's got to be something else
Also move back to 100yds not so much magnification on poi with the recoil if you have a problem with it
It won't cost anything to seat some deeper and see how they compare with some that you have already used that are not seated as deep

Hope this can help cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Dec 2018, 8:15 pm

WMT -- The grouping patterns were completely all over the shop. There was nothing that could be patternised (not sure if thats a word but i'll use it)..which leads to me believe something else is a miss.
I checked the action screws tonight and the back screw was not loose but I tightened 1/4 turn.
I also 1/4 turned a front mount.
I then soaked a couple of pads in copper solvent and slowly pulled them through the barrel for a minute or so and then used a stiff brush. I then mopped and continued using paper towlettes until they came out clean. It was pretty dirty but I think i fired 50 shots in the last setting so probably expected.

I guess it's always a concern, the back of the mind asking if you have a straight barrel / a good shooter and what to do to prove it one way or the other. I cannot imagine i'm the only one who has been in this position.
Anyway's - I'll do as suggested above - buy some semi decent ammo / load a few that were semi reasonable, close up to a shorter distance, use a smaller sighting decal and see how we go. There is some colder weather and showers coming which will allow me a couple of hours on Thursday or Friday so I'll report back.
Thanks for any and all advice thus far. Stories are always better with piccies - so I'll take some next time. Promise :)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 12 Dec 2018, 9:46 am

Dont decrease the distance the bullet has a wobble for the first part of its flight until it settles into what a lot of people call going to sleep. if anything 140 yrds is a better testing distance.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Dec 2018, 5:42 pm

^surely this is jest?

Anyways - spent a few hours testing again today. Unfortunately it came out bloody hot again and at one point, barrel became too hot to touch - which was not what I wanted at all but it had only shot 6 bullets after being cold, so caught me out.

So kept distance at 120m.
53.0gns of Ar2209 powder pushing 200gn ELDX.
Shot off a steel rest that lightly cradles fore end and stock, mounted to a table. Free to recoil.

Noticed a fair bit of vertical stringing - 2 and 3 inches on some loads.
Be keen to hear people’s opinions except for the outright obvious.
Was concentrating on bullet seat depth this time out - charge remained same.
Attachments
8F37017E-7961-43E6-9B77-F568A6BE1662.jpeg
8F37017E-7961-43E6-9B77-F568A6BE1662.jpeg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
79DEBED5-37A9-4341-BD0F-C2CF04DA6395.jpeg
79DEBED5-37A9-4341-BD0F-C2CF04DA6395.jpeg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
D638FCB8-A650-4FE6-9026-F7F5EBE40D7F.jpeg
D638FCB8-A650-4FE6-9026-F7F5EBE40D7F.jpeg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
0D284283-75EE-4996-A958-95496B8A1B06.jpeg
0D284283-75EE-4996-A958-95496B8A1B06.jpeg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
1F9B9343-091A-49FB-8EB7-9ACE99825111.jpeg
1F9B9343-091A-49FB-8EB7-9ACE99825111.jpeg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 6:33 pm

Too much vertical, looks like you are going too slow. One group that is OK next to other groups that have a ton of vertical. I would say if you shoot 8360 again, chances are it will have heaps of vertical. Do you know how fast they are going?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Dec 2018, 6:42 pm

Funny you say that...
I don’t currently have a chrono so only guessing speeds at moment, but even if it were too slow - wouldn’t it be consistent slow resulting in groupings?
ADI advises 53.7 is max at 2580 FPS and I’m at 53.0gn.
This was not shot by me so I didn’t include it in the results. But...
Attachments
B5E79735-A861-421B-9292-2A203C727FFD.jpeg
B5E79735-A861-421B-9292-2A203C727FFD.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6096 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 13 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm

Id be tinkering with loads that gave the best group as a start point, sometimes we become accustomed to our hand loading brillance lol or luck.

Try seating them a little deeper as most bullets can handle a jump, load up 3 x diff powder charges and repeat another 10 thou deeper etc.

I recently couldnt get some barnes TTSX to group better than 2 moa in my 6.5 grendel, seated 25 thou deeper and tried 2 slight lower charges, bingo found an accuracy node only 0.3gr under what was crap. It now puts 5 into 0.8moa

I now time my time on the bench esp if new gun load development so that heat cant be an issue. 5 shots and I ll time 8mins exactly (20-25deg). If hotter you need wait 10mins

is the barrel free floated and bedded ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2018, 7:35 pm

TassieTiger wrote:^surely this is jest?

Anyways - spent a few hours testing again today. Unfortunately it came out bloody hot again and at one point, barrel became too hot to touch - which was not what I wanted at all but it had only shot 6 bullets after being cold, so caught me out.

So kept distance at 120m.
53.0gns of Ar2209 powder pushing 200gn ELDX.
Shot off a steel rest that lightly cradles fore end and stock, mounted to a table. Free to recoil.

Noticed a fair bit of vertical stringing - 2 and 3 inches on some loads.
Be keen to hear people’s opinions except for the outright obvious.
Was concentrating on bullet seat depth this time out - charge remained same.

You fired more than three rounds of each surely? Three rounds is not enough to make development decisions on, in my opinion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 7:40 pm

If it were me I would do a ladder test using the longest COAL you can, it may be limited by the length of you magizene.. Increase the load by 0.2 of a grain until you run out of room in the case, or until you are not comfortable. You don't want a highly compressed load. If you are six grains over book max you might be pulling a few bullets at the end of the test.

Shoot them at 150 or 200 metres if you can, the extra distance will make the group larger, I find if I shoot at 100 I have all 10 stacked on top of each other and it is hard to interpreted the results. You will have to plot each shot on a pad of paper so you know what shot went where. Shoot slowly, don't let the barrel get hot.

Stop shooting when you see any pressure signs, extractor marks on the head stamp, sticky bolt. If you are blowing primers out of the case you have gone too far. Then look for some bullets clustered at the same vertical plane, we are only interested in the height, not any horizontal dispersion. These bullets are going around the same speed, you then do your load testing around those weight charges.

When you do your load testing only worry about the groups with the least vertical dispersion. After that you can do some fine tuning with seating depth.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 7:47 pm

Use the best brass you have, of the same headstamp and have been fired about the same number of times. Used the least amount of neck tension you can, if you have standard dies try sizing only 1/4 of the neck. Neck tension is critical, it makes the most amount of difference of anything else you are doing when reloading. If you brass is once fired and there is enough tension left in the case to hold the pill, reload it without resizing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 7:56 pm

Bill wrote:

I recently couldnt get some barnes TTSX to group better than 2 moa in my 6.5 grendel, seated 25 thou deeper and tried 2 slight lower charges, bingo found an accuracy node only 0.3gr under what was crap. It now puts 5 into 0.8moa
?

Bill, that Grendel of yours has a lot more in it, I have not seen one that wouldn't shoot 1/4 MOA in a well sorted rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm

[quote="TassieTiger"
I don’t currently have a chrono so only guessing speeds at moment, but even if it were too slow - wouldn’t it be consistent slow resulting in groupings?
..[/quote]

She is being fairly consistant in the resultant groupings, you are getting two inches of vertical consistently. Probably about a 70fps ES.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You will have to plot each shot on a pad of paper so you know what shot went where.

A GoPro at the target is useful to record the order of the shots.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2018, 8:29 pm

I spent all my money on optics but if I had a GoPro that would work well. Nice one BR.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition