Two Happy Hornets

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Two Happy Hornets

Post by Bills Shed » 01 Jan 2019, 8:02 am

I am currently running two 22 hornets and while I was experimenting with the 527 and projectile weights I thought I would shoot an old CBC as well. As they are both 22 Hornets it was nice to just shoot them side by side for a bit of fun.
The CBC is an old hammer, single shot rifle with a good bore. I have not had it long, and it is slowly chewing through a plastic bag of odds a sods ammo that I acquired. There is nothing consistent about this ammo and it is all different weights and makes. There is even some double flash hole ICI in the mix and they have not been around for a lot of years. The rifle now has a 4X scope on top, zeroed for 50m and I shoot wallaby that I see on my daily walk with the dogs in the arvo. Let's face it at 50m a 2"group with misc ammo still does the job. It is a simple knock about rifle. The other is a bog standard 527 22Hornet......anyway...
I finished with the 527 and it seems to handle a 48gn RNSP projectile better than anything else. COL was length of mag. With the set trigger and 14 power scope it is a dream to shoot and finished with a average of .7s" and a couple of .5" groups. More than I really hoped for.
The CBC on the other hand has a trigger like a old Mack truck gearbox, a lot crunchy and somewhat heavy and a "post" type reticle in a 4 power scope. I tried to find the max COL for some 40gn vmax that I had sitting around but with that projectile just sitting in a case it still did not touch the lands and so I just loaded them up with the same powder load as the 527. COL was ...long. It really does not matter. It is a single shot with a throat like an a exhaust pipe. As a nice surprise these shot very well and I just left it alone at that. Zeroed at 50 it shoots 3/4" high for 1.5"ish group at 100m . It will do. Making projectiles and shooting some rifles is a great way to spend a couple of days, now the hay season is over and a new year to make the most off.
Happy new year to everyone.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Two Happy Hornets

Post by bigpete » 01 Jan 2019, 8:53 am

Yep,you don't need a gun to put bullets hole in hole to successfully hunt hey...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 01 Jan 2019, 10:36 am

bigpete wrote:Yep,you don't need a gun to put bullets hole in hole to successfully hunt hey...

Isn't that the truth. With modern technology and machining practices the quality of firearms has never been better. In regards to modern firearms and ammunition the most inaccurate part of the equation, is usually the human.
It is nice to have a accurate rife and I can be a bit of an OCD person. I just have to keep asking myself what is my target and how does my firearm need to preform in order to hit it. I.5" is still minute of rabbit head at 100m. For me the hard part is seeing that far!!

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 01 Jan 2019, 12:11 pm

Exactly. Some of my guns would only shoot 4 moa, but I'm more than happy to hunt with them,coz I know damn well I'll not shoot them past 50m anyway
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 Jan 2019, 12:19 pm

In the history of firearms, 2moa is very accurate
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2019, 2:22 pm

How accurately can you shoot while hunting in the bush. Not. 1/2" at 100 yards, that's for sure.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Jan 2019, 5:08 pm

I really like the hornets myself Bill and I like the way you think that if one is good two is better, I am a believer of that myself :thumbsup:

maybe you don't need to be accurate for shooting wallabies at 50 :lol: good to see people that know there limits with these rifles
I do see guys who shoot sambar with 458 lott cartridges ect.. they cannot be shot precisely but have great knockdown power :wtf:

anyway thanks for sharing :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Jan 2019, 5:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:How accurately can you shoot while hunting in the bush. Not. 1/2" at 100 yards, that's for sure.

Oldbloke you are just asking for a bite that's for sure :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2019, 5:19 pm

marksman wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:How accurately can you shoot while hunting in the bush. Not. 1/2" at 100 yards, that's for sure.

There was no intention to bait anyone. I just think the reality is most cannot do that. But depends on the situation and skill though.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 01 Jan 2019, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 01 Jan 2019, 5:29 pm

Who says a 458wm can't be shot precisely?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 01 Jan 2019, 7:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
marksman wrote:

There was no intention to bait anyone. I just think the reality is most cannot do that. But depends on the situation and skill though.

I am with OB here. My bench is in my paddock but my real shooting is usually out of a vehicle or sitting, kneeling or tree rest at best when out for a wander. The bench is what the rifle can do when conditions are great which seldom happens out in the field. Poor light, rain, dust, s**ty vehicle angles and a cramped shooting position do not lend themselves to fine shooting.

When shooting out of a vehicle I am happy to stretch the legs of the hornet to as far as I can see them but when walking in the bush the single shot and 50m is the norm..if not less.

As to a 458, you can have it. When I hear about the weight of those projectiles all I think about is how many 20gn 17cal projectiles I could make out of just one of them!

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2019, 7:55 pm

Yep, try and shoot a fox @ 150yards off hand or even kneeling.. Not easy.

If your ambushing, then it can change using a rest or bipod.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Jan 2019, 8:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
marksman wrote:

I would agree with what you wrote here Oldbloke no worries :thumbsup:
there's to much crap put out there about how to shoot and most situations do need a steady rest if you can, if not let it go
Bill and Pete have shown responsibility by stating a distance that they are comfortable with
a set of these can make it easier as well http://www.bipodshootingsticks.com/ I've done some very long shots off these in bluegum plantations :drinks:
I took out a bloke who had all the answers and could shoot off a bench but at the end of our jaunt I told him to invest in a shotgun :lol: cityfolk

Pete I have met very few guys that can shoot a 458 lott precisely at distance, actually only 1 that I would trust with the shot, they aren't made for precision work but it does depend what you accept as precise :unknown: I think they are more for moa big animal :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Jan 2019, 10:42 pm

Even a consistent 1moa group is a really hard thing to hold. Sure sometimes it’s not so hard at 50 or 100m (in a highly controlled environment), but throw in a bit of environmental randomness like an inconsistent tail or head wind, a heavy mirage - then even in those controlled environments people won’t be shooting moa.

Throw in the sheer randomness and exertion of a bush bash and you’d be doing bloody well to average into 3 or 4 moa I reckon.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jan 2019, 12:34 am

If I know my rifle on a bench, with particular ammunition is capable of shooting - 1 Moa and then if I don’t shoot that rabbit, roo, what ever - within an inch of where I am aiming, I have no one to blame but myself, but all things going well - it’s a quick and humane kill.
If I go hunting with a rifle that shoots 4 Moa from a bench and I injure an animal that gets away, then I’ve not eliminated a variable that I should have controlled and I’ll feel pretty sh*t about the slow death I’ve now inflicted.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jan 2019, 8:26 am

Took them for a run last night. That SP does the job very well. Only doing 2200 f/s but it is accurate and very effective.

Bill
Attachments
20190103_091701.jpg
48gn 22H
20190103_091701.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4383 times
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jan 2019, 8:47 am

The Hornet is a sweet case.I have all my reloading gear set up again and am polishing cases for Hornet as we speak but have no powder suitable and Downrange will not open till the 7th Grrrr.I have 2208 and am finishing off the 100gn 7mm pills I have left then I have some 130gn to load soon every case I possess will be reloaded.Happy days
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 03 Jan 2019, 4:45 pm

How’s the case life on them? Also are they front lockers?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jan 2019, 5:24 pm

in2anity wrote:How’s the case life on them? Also are they front lockers?

I gather you are asking about the 527 and the CBC in 22 H
The 527 is a front locking action and the CBC is a single shot break action. 8.5gn of 2205 for the 48gn is a starting load and 8.5gn under a 40 is just below starting load according to ADI so very mild and case life should be OK as long as I anneal Regulary.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 03 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

Bills Shed wrote:

The 527 is a front locking action and the CBC is a single shot break action. 8.5gn of 2205 for the 48gn is a starting load and 8.5gn under a 40 is just below starting load according to ADI so very mild and case life should be OK as long as I anneal Regulary.

Bill

2205 that’s interesting. An overall efficient cartridge tweaked and fit for purpose is a beautiful thing
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jan 2019, 5:56 pm

in2anity wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:

Bill

2205 that’s interesting. An overall efficient cartridge tweaked and fit for purpose is a beautiful thing

Amen To that

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

The Hornet I have is a Savage 340 with open sights we are hoping to graduate the young blokes in our group to Hornet as they have done there apprenticeship on .22LR.I would have to use it like a shotgun with my eyesight
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition