Custom precision ammunition supplier in Australia?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Custom precision ammunition supplier in Australia?

Post by NAMSA1975 » 04 Jan 2019, 3:14 pm

Good day all... I am new to this forum.

I would like to ask the following question:

IS there any "custom precision" ammo for sale in Aus? Like in the US these ammo are developed for the application and rifle.... things like the barrel length, twist, bullet design, applications etc is taken into account when ammo loads are developed and manufactured. Reloading is also done after brass was fire formed. These are hand loaded with in like +-0.02 gr of powder and bullets sorted etc

thanks!
JS
NAMSA1975
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Re: Custom precision ammunition supplier in Australia?

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

As far as I know JS, factory ammunition has to satisfy a mixture of averages.
It has to provide an average performance from the average person shooting an avesage firearm and do it reliably.

Even the best, most expensive factory ammo is not going to be as good as hand loads.

That is why people who shoot competitively make their own.
They can tailor it to their rifle/ pistol etc.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2019, 7:45 pm

Mate I don’t think there is anyone offering custom ammo supply.
As previously stated, the only way you will get close to that is to load your own.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 04 Jan 2019, 7:56 pm

There are a lot of claims of custom everything and when it comes to ammo build your own. There are some many factors you could build into your projectile alone ( core hardness, jacket hardness,L weight, length, etc) the only person who could get it the way you want it is ...you.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

Lapua make some premium ammunition for some popular calibers. I have seen some ammo for a 6mm BR shoot under 1/4 MOA. What caliber are you shooting? Is there a reason you cannot reload?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2019, 9:13 pm

NAMSA1975 wrote:Good day all... I am new to this forum.

I would like to ask the following question:

IS there any "custom precision" ammo for sale in Aus? Like in the US these ammo are developed for the application and rifle.... things like the barrel length, twist, bullet design, applications etc is taken into account when ammo loads are developed and manufactured. Reloading is also done after brass was fire formed. These are hand loaded with in like +-0.02 gr of powder and bullets sorted etc

thanks!
JS

I'm not aware of anything for precision ammo, but there are some places that sell handloaded ammo.

I really can't see any point to this myself. If you want to build ammo that works the best in your rifle you will have to give them your rifle to do the development with. Why would you pay somebody else to do what you bought the rifle for in the first place? Not only are you developing the load, you are also learning your rifle so you can get the best out of it. Load your own ammo.

These days it's pretty easy to design your own monolithic bullet and give it to a CNC shop to turn you some out for testing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jan 2019, 3:13 am

I would buy some reloading gear and make your own. I started in 2013 with nothing. Watched a lot of Youtube videos to learn how, talked to people on the forums and got started. I probably load at least 10,000 rounds a year.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jan 2019, 9:21 pm

I know a guy in Sydney but he's a bit of an A-Hole and not taking on any new customers at the moment. The thing is that to develop a good precision round for a rifle you need the physical rifle as a number of measurements need to be made in order to setup a baseline of where to start. To do a proper job you'd need to cast the chamber and measure that along with having samples of all the projectiles that are intended for use. Even after going the full potato on the load it still needs to be sent downrange to check the results and make adjustments. If you don't reload yourself maybe ask the gunshop if they know anyone that can assist you.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Joshua.s » 06 Feb 2021, 6:07 pm

Master afc on Facebook. He supplies a loot of roo shooters and the likes . And he is an all round great guy . Fairly sure he is based on cowes
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Feb 2021, 6:36 pm

G'day JS,
I can only speak for my home city but yes, there are custom ammo makers here but they don't advertise, working only within their own "groups". As such, one I know makes ammo for Big 5 hunting in your neck of the woods whilst others make specific comp ammo. The overwhelming majority here make their own reloads as the industry is well supported for components and tools, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 06 Feb 2021, 6:45 pm

The Full bore State organizations sell ammo that is manufactured to a tight spec for competition use. Thats if you dont load your own or the comp rules are that issued ammo will be used.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JohnV » 07 Feb 2021, 7:53 am

No one other than you can load a good fitting round for your rifle because rifles specs like chambers vary even in the same model gun produced on the same production line . Reamers wear and get re-sharpened and get smaller so the first chamber on the new reamer is always a bit bigger than the last chamber before the reamer is out of spec and multiple reamers chambering multiple guns at a time even more variables . However if you experiment with different brands of factory ammo you will most likely find a brand that suits your gun . There is more potentially to be gained by tuning the rifle than by paying someone to load for you . Get the rifle professionally pillar bedded and free float the barrel .
Start with the factory ammo that uses a Sierra projectile , I have forgotten which one that is at the moment .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bugman » 07 Feb 2021, 8:49 am

Reloading your own ammo to the specs you require, really is the way to go, in my book.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition