Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for begginer

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for begginer

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 9:45 am

Hi folks looking for info/opinions on an ideal calibre and rifle(if that has any bearing) for a begginer to start reloading, and what sort of money am I looking at to begin.
Just throwing the idea around in my head...
Thanks
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 54
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jan 2019, 10:00 am

G'day Harry.
Depends on many factors like end use, hunting or target, price, where you live etc.

Perhaps a few more details on your plans would allow for more accurate and relevant advice.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 10:00 am

Larger as in 416 Ruger or something bigger than a 22?
SCJ429
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1220
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2019, 10:02 am

Hi Harry...
Have a read of this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11115
(Incase the link doesnt work ts called "Help me to choose best rifle in .223"...its on the front page of active topics.) & others like it...

Would be helpful to know what you're shooting--targets/rabbits/grizzly bears/dragons/jet fighter planes...?

...but im curious to know what do you call "larger calibre"...? (As youve asked for in the title).
Is that because you are familiar shooting rimfire...? Or you want to start with a big'n cos you can...?

But from your question so far id say Howa or Tikka in 223
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2387
South Australia

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by pomemax » 12 Jan 2019, 11:33 am

Na do it properly 458 Lott or 458 WM best choice for a beginner shoot what ever you like never have to clean up and once your shoulder is healed you can then go Buy a .223 or .22 hornet till you learn to shoot .
pomemax
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 904
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 11:39 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:G'day Harry.
Depends on many factors like end use, hunting or target, price, where you live etc.

Perhaps a few more details on your plans would allow for more accurate and relevant advice.
:drinks:


Is a silly answer both target and hunting?

Price I would say entry level or enough so it's not crap

I live in sydney
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 54
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 11:41 am

Stix wrote:Hi Harry...
Have a read of this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11115
(Incase the link doesnt work ts called "Help me to choose best rifle in .223"...its on the front page of active topics.) & others like it...

Would be helpful to know what you're shooting--targets/rabbits/grizzly bears/dragons/jet fighter planes...?

...but im curious to know what do you call "larger calibre"...? (As youve asked for in the title).
Is that because you are familiar shooting rimfire...? Or you want to start with a big'n cos you can...?

But from your question so far id say Howa or Tikka in 223


Iv been following this thread...

Just bought a Sauer 100 xt in 223
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 54
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 12:54 pm

I would say a Tikka Varmint in 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel but you already have a 223. Can you use it for what you want to do?

If you want to try reloading the 223 is great, just pick up scrap brass off the floor at the range, grab some Lee RGB dies, they are only about $30, and practice sizing. Get some Vmax for hunting and perhaps a 69 grain SMK for target work.
SCJ429
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1220
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

One of the 6.5’s would be a good choice harry. They can throw a heavy enough projectiles for most things in oz, recoil isn’t too bad and their accurate. 243 maybe ?
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 2195
Queensland

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 3:04 pm

243 probably mate. Good all rounder, but if you’re after something bigger then you can’t go wrong with a 308.
“Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it.”
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 933
-

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 3:22 pm

bigrich wrote:One of the 6.5’s would be a good choice harry. They can throw a heavy enough projectiles for most things in oz, recoil isn’t too bad and their accurate. 243 maybe ?


I was thinking 6.5...does that meet dpi requirements for deer?
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 54
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 3:24 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I would say a Tikka Varmint in 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel but you already have a 223. Can you use it for what you want to do?

If you want to try reloading the 223 is great, just pick up scrap brass off the floor at the range, grab some Lee RGB dies, they are only about $30, and practice sizing. Get some Vmax for hunting and perhaps a 69 grain SMK for target work.


Hmmmm
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 54
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2019, 3:40 pm

You dont like giving anything away do you Harry...? :unknown:

Assuming you want to hunt deer now...? :huh:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2387
South Australia

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 4:04 pm

Stix wrote:You dont like giving anything away do you Harry...? :unknown:

Assuming you want to hunt deer now...? :huh:


Sorry I'm being vague because I myself are not entirely sure which direction I'm going. Toying with idea of reloading.
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 54
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by cracker » 12 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

pomemax wrote:Na do it properly 458 Lott or 458 WM best choice for a beginner shoot what ever you like never have to clean up and once your shoulder is healed you can then go Buy a .223 or .22 hornet till you learn to shoot .


only reason a beginner would ever purchase a 458 win mag would be so they could have it reamed into a 458lott.
100% on the money, cheap too shoot, low recoil, practical and should be decent on anything up too large foxes/ feral dogs.
500grain solids over 80grains of ar2208 work well enough for rabbit hunting or even just abit of plinking
cracker
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 139
Victoria

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Col » 12 Jan 2019, 4:12 pm

FWIW
243 is a damn good all round calibre and heaps of reloading options. Especially if it your first centrefire. Brilliant hunting calibre except for deer (rules and regs). I personally dont know about target shooting with a 243 but I have been hunting with one for 40 years and cant complain. Been reloading 243 for over 20 years,

Col
Col
Private
Private
 
Posts: 44
New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 4:25 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hi folks looking for info/opinions on an ideal calibre and rifle(if that has any bearing) for a beginner to start reloading, and what sort of money am I looking at to begin.
Just throwing the idea around in my head...
Thanks


The obvious answer is .223Rem.
You can buy bullets for under 15c apiece.
Once-fired brass for under 15c apiece.
Powder charges are small. AR2206H and AR2208 are both excellent choices that also work well in many other cartridges.
It's generally very easy to get it shooting very well, even your worst loads will still be pretty accurate.
Get a rifle with an 8"-twist barrel and you can experiment with bullets from 35gn to over 80gn, all with excellent accuracy.

A Lee Breechlock Challenge Kit is a great start. Get the kit with the hand primer.
You'll also need a set of dies (Lee Collect Neck Dies are great).
A case trimmer (Lee Quick Trim Die).
A vernier to measure case and cartridge lengths.

I also recommend getting some Trailboss powder and having a play with reduced loads for additional versatility and fun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5408
Victoria

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Peter988 » 12 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Stix wrote:Hi Harry...
Have a read of this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11115
(Incase the link doesnt work ts called "Help me to choose best rifle in .223"...its on the front page of active topics.) & others like it...

Would be helpful to know what you're shooting--targets/rabbits/grizzly bears/dragons/jet fighter planes...?

...but im curious to know what do you call "larger calibre"...? (As youve asked for in the title).
Is that because you are familiar shooting rimfire...? Or you want to start with a big'n cos you can...?

But from your question so far id say Howa or Tikka in 223


Iv been following this thread...

Just bought a Sauer 100 xt in 223



How do you like the Sauer? Thinking of getting one myself.
Peter988
Private
Private
 
Posts: 11
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Reloading ammunition